Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
so i was just shocked this morning , seeing my weight.

im 5.7 and i only have 114lbs , i dont feel THAT skinny , but i exercise a lot in the gym and do eat a lot , but sometimes i dont eat anythin the whole day…any advice how to get some weight? :/

i dont think the most guys are into skinny

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Well, First off "sometimes I don't anything all day" isn't helping :wink:

It's all about taking in more calories than you burn off. If you are consistently exercising, then your calorie needs will increase. And to clarify, we're not talking unhealthy calories here.

Your need may be high enough that you need to supplement your food intake with high protien shakes, which are usually high in calories also.

It's basically simple eat healthy and often. Several small meals each day is a lot more effective than a few large meals. Exercise and take in enough nutrients that it goes towards building muscle.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Shagtastic

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Fasting every now and this is actually very healthy. Though in your case, it probably doesn't help the whole not weighing much issue.

Other than that, Countryguy is right.

Eat more, exercise less.
If you're like me, you have a fast metabolism anyways, so you'll still be skinny without working out much at all.

Best of luck to you mate.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
but sometimes i dont eat anythin the whole day…any advice how to get some weight? :/

Never go the whole day without eating. I've heard that the best way to gain weight is to go on a diet.

When my sister was young she felt she was underweight. I used to make pancakes with syrup for her. Then when she turned 18 her metabolism changed and she started gaining wight on her own.

Last edited:

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Try to eat small healthy snacks many times a day, and drink 'milkshakes'. The kind that bring all the boys to the yard. A good inexpensive source of protein is a boiled egg, or an eggnog.

A 'meal in a glass' I can recommend is the Adele Davis-- banana, wheat germ, orange juice, and a raw egg blended together with ice.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would check first with my Doctor and see what suggestions he has .......

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Try to eat small healthy snacks many times a day, and drink 'milkshakes'. The kind that bring all the boys to the yard. A good inexpensive source of protein is a boiled egg, or an eggnog.

A 'meal in a glass' I can recommend is the Adele Davis-- banana, wheat germ, orange juice, and a raw egg blended together with ice.

Shakes and smoothies are a good idea.

Try a shake with puffed wheat cereal (Honey Smacks), ice, sugar, milk and some ice cream.

Also do less cardio and more strength training.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Though I'm taller I was twinky at your age too. It's your metabolism. It burns it up as fast as you take it in.

Dude, as long as 50% of that weight is in yer wang (and seems it is) enjoy it while you can, 'cause by the time you hit 30, all of that's gonna change.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Doesn't look like there's anything wrong with you:) If you're intent on gaining weight, though, pay attention to your protein intake. Especially if you're a vegetarian. It's not hard to eat enough protein to maintain your weight, but it can be hard to eat enough to gain muscle when you've got a fast metabolism.

Good luck!

jackhard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It's not quite as simple as just consuming a protein shake, unfortunately. Gaining weight can be a challenge, especially for ectomorphs ("hard gainers") like yourself with high metabolisms. Despite it being a challenge, the solution is relatively straight-forward. It's all up to you, your self-control, and your determination. If you set your mind to it, you can do it!

There are 3 parts to building muscle and adding weight (I'm guessing you don't want to add fat :p).

1. Whole Foods (and Supplements to well, supplement the whole foods--not replace them)
2. Exercise
3. Rest (Sleep)

I'll try to share my nutition, training, and biochemistry experience in a succinct but informative way. I'll start at the bottom of the above list and work my way up.

Sleep

For a young man like yourself, you should aim for 7-9 hours of sleep every night. Ideally you would go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, but it's more important to get the full amount of rest. So, if you happen to stay up late one night, it's not the end of the world. Your body will not repair tissues and add mass without sleep! It's one of, if not, the most important part of the 3 listed above. Along with this, avoid caffeine and other stimulants just before bed time as they can restrict blood flow to the brain (by up to 40%) and make it more difficult to fall sleep.

Exercise

Without a stimulus, your body will have no impetus to grow and add mass. The human body is a very efficient machine that adapts so that it only uses just what it needs and no more (the minimum required with no wasted resources). You mentioned you workout, which is fantastic. Keep that up! Many people who aim to add muscle mass utilize some form of strength training. If it's not possible to access a gym, body weight exercises can be just as effective as weights. For you, I'd aim for somewhere between 3 and 5 high intensity workouts a week. The point of exercise to gain weight is to cause microtears in the muscle fibers. When the body goes to repair the fibers, it doesn't just repair them to the point they were at before, but it strengthens them in an effort to prevent microtears in the future. Again, without rest (sleep), your body won't repair itself!

Whole Foods

The best fuel for your body is whole, natural foods. Having the self control to put down the processed foods and eat whole foods will help greatly in your effort to gain weight. Processed foods are broken down as simple sugars (simple carbs) and fat--both of which are bad. Whole foods contain necessary and beneficial amino acids (that are used to make protein), healthy fats, and complex carbs (healthy carbs). As Countryguy63 mentioned, to gain weight, you need to consume more calories than you burn. For an active, high calorie burning, young man like yourself, that takes quite a bit of calories. The hardest part of gaining weight is eating regularly and frequently enough! When looking at the calories consumed, there are 3 main macronutrients you need to care about: protein, carbohydrates, and fats. For you, I'd recommend a calorie ratio of 30% protein, 50% carbohydrates, and 20% fat. What this means is that 30% of the calories you consume should come from whole protein sources (meats, fish, legumes, etc.), 50% from whole carbohydrate sources (whole grains, wheat, etc.), and 20% from healthy fats (unsaturated fats like olive oil or omega fatty acids--avoid saturated and trans fats). For you, I would recommend aiming to consume around 2500 calories a day. This means you should aim to consume 750 calories (188 grams) of protein, 1250 calories (313 grams of carbohydrates), and 500 calories (56 grams) of fat in a single day. The most difficult macronutrient to get in sufficient amounts is protein. That's where a protein supplement can help bridge the gap. However, you should never rely on supplements as your main nutrient source. They are called "supplements" for a reason! For example, eat chicken and beef as your whole protein source, and then consume a protein shake to help you get up to 188 grams of protein.

EDIT: I think you might have mentioned you were a vegetarian. In that case, whole protein sources can include soy and other legume (bean) sources. :)

I hope this brief (but hopefully thorough enough) overview was helpful. Feel free to ask me any more questions as well. :) You can find some great articles over at Bodybuilding.com too. Cheers!

Last edited:

mxaxuxrxixzxixox

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
it's not quite as simple as just consuming a protein shake, unfortunately. Gaining weight can be a challenge, especially for ectomorphs ("hard gainers") like yourself with high metabolisms. Despite it being a challenge, the solution is relatively straight-forward. It's all up to you, your self-control, and your determination. If you set your mind to it, you can do it!

There are 3 parts to building muscle and adding weight (i'm guessing you don't want to add fat :p).

1. Whole foods (and supplements to well, supplement the whole foods--not replace them)
2. Exercise
3. Rest (sleep)

i'll try to share my nutition, training, and biochemistry experience in a succinct but informative way. I'll start at the bottom of the above list and work my way up.

sleep

for a young man like yourself, you should aim for 7-9 hours of sleep every night. Ideally you would go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, but it's more important to get the full amount of rest. So, if you happen to stay up late one night, it's not the end of the world. your body will not repair tissues and add mass without sleep! it's one of, if not, the most important part of the 3 listed above. Along with this, avoid caffeine and other stimulants just before bed time as they can restrict blood flow to the brain (by up to 40%) and make it more difficult to fall sleep.

exercise

without a stimulus, your body will have no impetus to grow and add mass. The human body is a very efficient machine that adapts so that it only uses just what it needs and no more (the minimum required with no wasted resources). You mentioned you workout, which is fantastic. Keep that up! Many people who aim to add muscle mass utilize some form of strength training. If it's not possible to access a gym, body weight exercises can be just as effective as weights. For you, i'd aim for somewhere between 3 and 5 high intensity workouts a week. The point of exercise to gain weight is to cause microtears in the muscle fibers. When the body goes to repair the fibers, it doesn't just repair them to the point they were at before, but it strengthens them in an effort to prevent microtears in the future. Again, without rest (sleep), your body won't repair itself!

whole foods

the best fuel for your body is whole, natural foods. Having the self control to put down the processed foods and eat whole foods will help greatly in your effort to gain weight. Processed foods are broken down as simple sugars (simple carbs) and fat--both of which are bad. Whole foods contain necessary and beneficial amino acids (that are used to make protein), healthy fats, and complex carbs (healthy carbs). As countryguy63 mentioned, to gain weight, you need to consume more calories than you burn. For an active, high calorie burning, young man like yourself, that takes quite a bit of calories. the hardest part of gaining weight is eating regularly and frequently enough! when looking at the calories consumed, there are 3 main macronutrients you need to care about: Protein, carbohydrates, and fats. For you, i'd recommend a calorie ratio of 30% protein, 50% carbohydrates, and 20% fat. What this means is that 30% of the calories you consume should come from whole protein sources (meats, fish, legumes, etc.), 50% from whole carbohydrate sources (whole grains, wheat, etc.), and 20% from healthy fats (unsaturated fats like olive oil or omega fatty acids--avoid saturated and trans fats). For you, i would recommend aiming to consume around 2500 calories a day. This means you should aim to consume 750 calories (188 grams) of protein, 1250 calories (313 grams of carbohydrates), and 500 calories (56 grams) of fat in a single day. The most difficult macronutrient to get in sufficient amounts is protein. That's where a protein supplement can help bridge the gap. However, you should never rely on supplements as your main nutrient source. They are called "supplements" for a reason! For example, eat chicken and beef as your whole protein source, and then consume a protein shake to help you get up to 188 grams of protein.

Edit: I think you might have mentioned you were a vegetarian. In that case, whole protein sources can include soy and other legume (bean) sources. :)

i hope this brief (but hopefully thorough enough) overview was helpful. Feel free to ask me any more questions as well. :) you can find some great articles over at bodybuilding.com too. Cheers!

thanks alot!!!

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Based on your pics I wouldn't put you at 114lbs. At 5'7" I would've guessed more like 140 - 145. You look like you're in good shape and that's more important than the numbers.

I have a similar build and it always took some effort for me to put on weight. I found that the best way to do so is with a good weight lifting program. In particular heavier weights at lower reps - 6-8 - per set. You may also consider adding creatine to your diet for more effective muscle building.

As you get older you'll find that putting on weight will be less of a problem. But bad eating habits now will not serve you well in the future.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
If you weigh only 114 lbs, I think you look astonishingly good, maurizio. You certainly don't look emaciated.

I assume you want to increase your percentage of body fat and your muscle mass.
I'd say you should probably cut back a bit on your cardio.
And you should do more resistance exercises ... weight lifting, and so forth.
And then you have to have an eating schedule that will guarantee you a caloric intake several hundred calories a day above what you consume metabolically and through exercise.

Perhaps you should have your resting metabolic rate measured at a fitness centre or weight-loss centre.
There are machines that measure your exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide while you remain immobile for 10 minutes or so.
You would then have to calculate roughly how many calories you're expending through exercise to find your total caloric consumption.
And then you would have to discipline yourself to eat enough food on average to keep your intake comfortably above that expenditure level.

I suspect this might be difficult for you. You seem to have a natural wish not to feel full or bloated, as shown in your sometimes not eating anything in an entire day. (I wish I had this problem!!!)

Your body may have a very low set point for your weight, meaning your metabolism will tend to speed up if you increase your intake of food. If this happens, then you will have to make greater efforts to boost your intake of food.

All in all, I would advise you to see a physician for an assessment.

There are two bright points. You're probably going to outgrow this to some degree. And you have quite a fine body right now, maurizio.

Last edited: