SLDN

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
don't know if anybody around here is interested in this except for a few, but
it's current and newsworthy. got this today from SLDN.

offroad

For 15 years, Congress didn't talk about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

But the years of silence are over.

Last Wednesday, the Military Personnel Subcommittee of the U.S. House Armed Services Committee met to discuss the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." The hearing started what we hope will be an important national conversation about the national security impact of this law.

Take a look at a clip from the hearing - then send a note to the members of Congress to thank them for holding the hearing:

SLDN | Thank the Members of Congress Who Stood With Us

Staff Sergeant Eric Alva, U.S. Army Major General Vance Coleman, and Navy Capt. Joan Darrah all testified on the impact of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" on the military today.

But one of the hearing's most stirring comments didn't come from the testimony - it came from Representative Patrick Murphy. As an Iraq War veteran and former West Point Professor, Murphy said:

"You're basically asserting that straight men and women in our military aren't professional enough to serve openly with gay troops while completing their military missions. You know, as a former Army officer, I can tell you I think that's an insult to me and to many of the soldiers."
Rep. Murphy is correct: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is an insult to all of our troops. It's also a danger to the American people, since thousands of qualified, capable members of our armed services are losing their jobs for no other reason that their sexual orientation.

Please help us thank our members of Congress for paying attention to "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" - send them a quick note now:

SLDN | Thank the Members of Congress Who Stood With Us

Thank you for your support.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's sad that quite a few of the discharged are linguists, you would think that would be one area where the "We're at war" stop/loss provision would come in. I remember during the GulfWar anyone that came out during that time it didn't matter, you were going to the battlefield regardless. After the fighting was over yup discharged as fast as possible.

Aren't there new surveys show 75% support allowing gays to serve openly?

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's sad that quite a few of the discharged are linguists, you would think that would be one area where the "We're at war" stop/loss provision would come in. I remember during the GulfWar anyone that came out during that time it didn't matter, you were going to the battlefield regardless. After the fighting was over yup discharged as fast as possible.

Aren't there new surveys show 75% support allowing gays to serve openly?

yep, there is a momentum now to repeal, due to many factors.

offroad

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Last edited: