Sleep crisis in America?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SpeedoGuy, Apr 9, 2006.

1. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    A recent article in the newspaper stated that U.S. doctors wrote 42 million prescriptions for sleeping pills in 2005, up 60% from 2000.

The question arises: Is America really as sleep-deprived as polls and surveys imply? Do Americans commute and work too many hours? Do they exist in as stressed-out a state as it seems? Or is the so-called sleep crisis all hype being pushed by drug companies to sell more pills?

As for me I get about 6 hours a night and generally do pretty well. I should probably sleep more but I usually burn up that extra hour on LPSG.

Comments? Who else is not getting enough sleep?

2. dong20

Gold Member

Getting up in the morning is my problem. More seriously I don't feel that my quality of sleep is what it used to be. I think background stress plays a part as does being somewhat out of shape physically.

I only once took sleeping pills, and they were herbal, sadly they only kicked in about an hour before I needed to go to work and the results were nothing to be proud of.

EDIT:Actually twice, I forgot I did once by accident when I was about 18, I thought it was a 'perk you up pill' and as I was studying for A levels I tried it, never in my life has it been sooo hard to stay awake, made worse because I was at school, to this day I don't know if I did nod off but the whole day was a blur.

3. BJT

BJT New Member

I know that I don't get enough sleep, right now I am lucky to get 5 hours a night. With finals approaching it is going to be even worse. Summers I usually run on 4 hours a night and do alright.

I don't think all the sleep pills are needed though, people try to find a drug for everything thinking it will solve all their problems.

4. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    ahhh let 'em gorge themselves on their silly pills and shit, at least it lowers their life expectancy. if they need to sleep that badly they should just drink more.

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

It happens that Monday night I'm reporting to a sleep clinic because I have sleep apnea. I sleep no more than 3-4 hours at night and make up for it by napping 2-3 hours during the day. I'm always tired, reluctant to do the most mundane chores around the house and prone to fall asleep at the most importune times.

A sleeping pill would probably knock me out for 8 hours were I to take one but it would not be the answer to my problem which is the inability to reach the proper sleep levels for a balanced rest: I apparently go from light sleep to the very deepest sleep without the necessary transitional stages that the healthy sleeper enjoys.

I'll find out for sure tomorrow night.

6. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Doesn't anyone wank before they sleep?

I mean, just dream of the LPSG gallery and away you go!

7. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I sometimes have insomnia. My mind races always and when I have a ton of shit on my mind, I will wake at 3AM and be up until my normal rising time (between 5-7). When I was an Assistant Principal, this was the norm for 2.5 years.

I finally explored accupuncture and it has helped me tremendously in this regard. After a treatment, I often will sleep straight through the night for the next 2-4 days. The difference in my energy level and mood (with a combination of exercise) was incredible.

@ Pecker--
    I have a close friend who suffered from sleep apnea and went in for a sleep study. Doctors concluded that he had never slept for more than 10-15 minutes at a time in his life (he was 25 at the time). They performed surgery to remove adnoids and other airway obstructions--they feared he would die in his sleep from suffocation is they did not. He now enjoys more restful sleep.

Good luck with your study.

8. dong20

Gold Member

I have had isolated periods of disrupted sleep over the years. Usually just a day or two, not chronic enough to be called insonmia and usually for the same reasons as you. As I've got older I have found it a little easier to switch off but I have on occasion woken up at 3am (why is it always 3am?) with a solution to a problem that had been bugging me or sadly sometimes another problem I'd missed.

I heard acupuncture was effective but it's never got to a point where I felt I needed to take any further action than a good workout and a break from day to day stuff. I'm glad it worked for you and I'll bear it in mind for the future.

9. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's the problem I face at times. Too many worries on my mind can rob me of restful sleep. Thankfully, stress related sleep loss is not a constant demon for me but it does crop up at times. Can't say I like it much.

Pecker:

I've had several friends and relatives suffer from sleep apnea. On those nights I slept in their homes I could hear stop-and-start snoring, coughing, tossing-turning and ominous breath lapses. I hope your sleep study helps.

10. prickleyguy

prickleyguy Member

Albums:
    I know there are a few guys on this forum who must not get enough sleep as they seem to be on here 24 hours a day, right ALex, Tallguy, Pecker??

11. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Someone can have the board open in an internet browser and not be "here." I often have a tab open most of the day (the beauty of FireFox).

I actually did not go for sleeplessness, I went for racing thoughts and general relaxation. It worked like a charm AND helped me sleep.

12. B_horribleperson

B_horribleperson New Member

because doctors have to push all kinda pills or else they will lose all the free stuff they get from the drug companies

13. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    i think that's a different thing altogether. i get insomnia all the time, but it doesn't affect the quality of my sleep when i do crash.

14. findfirefox

Gold Member

Well I don't sleep well, ever, then again my shifts change alot. When I do sleep, I wake up tired and spend the day tired, and never feel rested.

Draft saved Draft deleted