Sleep Medicines

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV, Oct 16, 2006.

1. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

I may start using a non-prescription sleep medicine to help me sleep throughout the night. I was just curious how deep of a sleep it puts you in. My girlfriend when she stays over likes to wake me up with her mouth or hand sometime =P, and I usually will wake up rather quickly when I'm being touched. Do you sleep deeper when taking these medicines or will I still wake up from her touching or even just moving around adjusting in the bed? Also how long does it take to fall asleep? And do non-prescription sleep aids have any negative effects on one's sexuality?

2. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I'm a little bit curious why you would want to take a sleep aid if you still want your gf to wake you in the night. That's not really a good plan; I would suggest that you not take any kind of sleep aid when she stays over, if you want her to be able to get your attention at 2 a. m.

Most of the over-the-counter sleep aids contain diphenhydramine HCl (Benadryl) or doxylamine succinate, both of which are antihistamines. How long it takes for you to fall asleep is variable. The quality of sleep is not great, but better than no sleep at all. Either one can give a pretty good "antihistamine hangover," leaving you groggy for quite some time the next day. The other side effects, as you can imagine, are due to the fact that they ARE antihistamines - dry mouth & eyes, etc.

3. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    As DC said, most over-the-counter sleep aides are some form of antihistamine. They are relatively harmless, but also loose effectiveness quickly.

If you are simply having difficulty falling asleep on occasion, i would reccomend something more mild, like chamomile tea. Chamomile doesn't have any side effects (that i've ever heard of anyway), and does help you relax.

If you are having more persistant problems with falling and STAYING asleep i would suggest you have a chat with a doctor. Problems with sleep can be indicators of other, unexpected, and serious problems.

4. B_horribleperson

B_horribleperson New Member

dont do it they are all crap

5. dags

dags New Member

As DC_DEEP said the over the counter non-prescription ones left me feeling all hung over in the morning. A crisis in my life awhile back sent me over the edge and I really really needed to get some sleep. (I was seriously starting to look a little rough):yikes: LOL My Doctor gave me a presciption for Xanax just to get me over the "little bump in the road". Lifesavers, just help you relax so you can sleep. I had the smallest dose available and even then I split them in half, and thats all it took. They are addictive so you have to be careful. Valiums are nice too. But the prescription ones can also leave you feeling groggy.
    I'm starting to feel like a bad influence here. I'm not encouraging, I 'm just saying there are effective sleep aids that work.

6. socoken

socoken New Member

I just get drunk and do a shot of nyquil before bed. No hangovers, but I wont be having any sex after that.

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

LOL the alcohol is not a good plan for most people, as it interferes with REM sleep, but if it works for you, go for it. And the Nyquil, again, is just another antihistimine. If that's the route you choose, any of the antihistimines marketed as a sleep aid are exceedingly overpriced. A $3.00 bottle of generic diphenhydramine, if labelled as a sleep aid, will cost you about $15.

During one especially difficult period in my life, I was having some severe insomnia. My doctor prescribed Ambien. I only took two doses, it didn't really help me sleep much, and had some really NASTY side effects (amnesia and bizarre behavior). My roomie at the time told me, the next day, that I wandered around the house for about an hour, saying some really crazy shit. I did not remember any of it, at all, but that scared me. So my doc changed my prescription to Restoril (temazepam), it worked beautifully, I had zero hangover the next day. It only took 4 doses to get my sleep back on schedule.

You really should talk to a doctor if you are having long-term difficulty sleeping. Now, if I just have a little trouble getting to sleep, I take Benadryl. That only happens once every two or three months. I would not take it on a regular basis, and if I ever have sleep disorder again, I'll go to the doctor. Keep in mind that every person reacts differently to any given medication, especially the benzodiazepines (valium, xanax, restoril, etc.)

8. BuddyBoy

BuddyBoy Member

I used to take a med called immovane - later changed its name to rhovane - and it had some weird effects. The worst was the so called "traveller's amnesia" which could strike those who were stupid enough to take a dose to sleep on the plane.

Um, I was stupid enough.

I took a pill on the tarmac in Miami, and "woke up" in a taxicab in Buenos Aires. Apparently, I was highly functional, picked up my baggage, went through customs, rounded up members of my party, negotiated a cab, etc, but had no memory of it whatsoever.

Now I just take temazapam, though it's not as good at resetting my body's clock to real people time as opposed to vampire programmer time.

9. socoken

socoken New Member

My buddy got some ambien for his ptsd nightmares (marine) and I snagged a few. I fell in love with those. I only took 5mg at a time, but I slept great, and woke up ready to go, which is not my norm. Now, I saw him take like 20 mg once, and he was drooling on the floor and shit, didnt remember a thing.I think dosage is key. I love that stuff, cause it puts your mind to sleep, not your body. Nyquil and Tylenol PM makes my body go sleepy and kinda numb, but ambien left my body alone, it just slowed my mind down enough to sleep good.

10. samhung

samhung Member

A number of the older sleeping agents, like Dalman (flurazepam) and Restoril (temazepam) belong to the benzodiazepine class of sedative/hypnotics. They all have amnanestic side-effects, which is used to therapeutic effect when they are used presurgically or for anesthesia.

There are a few new sleepers on the market, including eszopiclone and ramelteon. Ramelteon (Rozerem) works like a supercharged form of melatonin and uses the same receptor. Eszopiclone (Lunesta) works like a form of antiseizure medication.

Older antihistamines, like diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and doxylamine (Sominex) have bad hangover effects that can linger. They also interfere with deeper stages of sleep and patients develop tachyphylaxis (tolerance) to them quickly.

If you are having trouble, you might want to see your doctor about getting a sleep study done. Many insomniacs may have a form of sleep apnea or other condition, that when treated, will vastly improve the quality and quantity of sleep.

Good luck!

11. Expando1

Expando1 New Member

Avoid all of those.

Get a Sleep Study

Your primary care doc can refer you to a sleep center. Sleep is amazingly complex and often what you think is wrong with your sleep or may be causing the problem is way off. Get it done and put the issue--and yourself--to rest.

Draft saved Draft deleted