Sleep

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I really need restful sleep.
I've tried benadryl, OD'd on xanax, tried generic Ambien, and even melatonin to try and fall asleep and get sound sleep through the night, with no real results.

When I lay down at night, it takes me roughly 1 hour to fall asleep.
If I try to help out with the meds/potions above, I wake up early and feel totally trashed, exhausted, and groggy in the head.
I generally fall asleep around 11PM and wake up around 5-5:30AM, not rested, feeling exhausted. Once I'm out, I'm out till morning. I don't get up in the middle of the night, and I rarely dream.

Do any of you have a technique I can try that would help me get a restful nights sleep?

colday

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I havent' tried it but Valerian Root Extract supposedly has sleep properties in it. I've also tried Ambien and Lunesta. Neihter one worked for me and before my script ran out I took like 3 or 4 of them in one night and it still did not keep me asleep. Melatonin made me have weird monster like nighmares. I usually just use the generic form (walmart brand) of Tylenol PM. I usually don't want to get up when the alarm goes off but if I drink any caffine at all in the evening I have to take something or I will get no rest at all.

D

deleted556573

You should have a sleep study done. I was experiencing the same symptoms as you and ended up being diagnosed with sleep apnea, which is the sole reason for the fatigue, even after a full night's sleep.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
My son was just diagnosed with sleep apnea just yesterday. He went into the study determined that he simply has insomnia. One of the things they found was that he stops breathing 60 times in an hour. He's 37.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea four years ago. I use a CPAP every night.

jump_start is right on the spot, Rikter8, since lack of dreaming is also a major symptom. Please make an appointment with a pulmonary doctor and see. It could save your life.

danjs584

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In addition to checking if u have sleep apnea, I would avoid xanax and other benzodiazepines because they inhibit REM sleep. Ambien also inhibits REM sleep. Dyphenhydramine which is in benadryll and unisom increase serotonin which can cause weird dreams. Melatonin is the natural chemical your body makes to get tired. It doesn't get rid of REM sleep and is an antioxidant.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's important to rule out sleep apnea as it can actually be fatal. If you don't have it, trazodone is an old-fashioned antidepressant no longer used for that purpose. However, it has a side effect of inducing DEEP sleep without sedation. It is commonly used as a sleep aid, even in nursing homes. It's generic and inexpensive. If you get your doctor to let you try this, remember that it has another fairly uncommon side effect in males. It can cause priapism, an erection that won't go down. If that were to occur for more than four hours you would need to go to the ER. My husband uses it for sleep and has never had this happen. I used use take it also and never had a problem with it either. Good luck.
Dave

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Like the guys above said, get a sleep study done, and do check into sleep apnea.

Other things to consider:

Caffeine. We live in caffeinated society, so it's hard to really look at this objectively, but: The truth is, for some people any caffeine at all can ruin their sleep cycle. Try cutting caffeine out six hours before you want to be getting to sleep, and maybe keep track of exactly how many caffeinated drinks you have in a day. I've done this before with many people, and it's amazing the results we've gotten. A lot of people will say "Oh, I have a couple here and there" but when you get down to the actual counting of drinks it's a lot more than a couple. Sometimes double-digits more.

What do you do all day? If you're in a sedentary type job - an office setting, infront of a computer, sitting in a car - you may well not be getting physically exhausted enough. It may be time to integrate more physical activity in your life.

What other meds do you take? You mentioned Xanax and Ambien. Do you take any prescription meds? Sleep interruption is a side-effect of many medications, especially psychoactive ones. If this is the case, a pharmacist is probably the best person to talk to, as they know the most about side-effects and alternative prescriptions. Then talk about it with your doctor.

Also, what's your diet like? I used to collaborate on some work stuff with a nutritionist, and part of her routine was about eating for good sleep. A lot of protein in your final meal of the day, or just eating really late meals, can disregulate your sleep cycle. For some people it's not a big deal, but for others it is.

Whatever happens, good luck!