Sluts?

Full_Phil

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not sure this is the right place for this, but---

I've always been interested in the concept of "slut". What is a slut? Can a hetero male be a slut, even though the word is usually applied to the female, and I assume, to certain gay males? Is being a slut a choice? Are people sluts because they want to fit in a group, show off, rebel, just get laid, tease, adopt a new personna, etc---? Are girls who mature early and/or who are voluptuous get called sluts out of jealousy? If voluptuous girls get labeled as sluts either fairly or unfairly do to their physical uniqueness, (and pertaining to this board), can males also be called a slut or a similar name just because they have an impressive package?

I'd be very interested in comments or observations any of you might make, especially if you have direct experience either as having been a slut, or knowing someone who was considered one

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Full Phil,

I think you might find Naomi Wolfe's take on this particularly interesting. The book that addresses this topic is "Promiscuities" Check it out.

Not sure this is the right place for this, but---

I've always been interested in the concept of "slut". What is a slut? Can a hetero male be a slut, even though the word is usually applied to the female, and I assume, to certain gay males? Is being a slut a choice? Are people sluts because they want to fit in a group, show off, rebel, just get laid, tease, adopt a new personna, etc---? Are girls who mature early and/or who are voluptuous get called sluts out of jealousy? If voluptuous girls get labeled as sluts either fairly or unfairly do to their physical uniqueness, (and pertaining to this board), can males also be called a slut or a similar name just because they have an impressive package?

I'd be very interested in comments or observations any of you might make, especially if you have direct experience either as having been a slut, or knowing someone who was considered one

buddy629

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
anyone can be a slut. Man, woman, gay, straight.
and with a little determination, you too...can be a slut.

seriously, it's just a way to describe someone who displays a higher level of sexual freedom than others. OR is promiscuity OR, is sexually irresponsible with her own body, subjecting others to danger. The idea has many connotations. It's used either to repress people who are free, or to describe people who are skanky.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
When you masturbate while lying on your back in bed, 'slut' is the sound your sperm makes as it hits the headboard.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't care how you try to dress it up, whether it be as promiscuity or sluts, it's a complaint lodged uniquely towards women. Men who fuck a lot are studs, women are sluts. My healthy sex drive has proven that time and time again, but I don't really give a fuck anymore. That sure wasn't true when I was 12 and developed early, being called a slut then was pretty hard to take.

I still have to cackle at the MAN joke that a slut fucks everybody, but a bitch fucks everybody but you.

Full_Phil

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
---seriously, it's just a way to describe someone who displays a higher level of sexual freedom than others. OR is promiscuity OR, is sexually irresponsible with her own body, subjecting others to danger. The idea has many connotations. It's used either to repress people who are free, or to describe people who are skanky.

It is this dichotomy that fascinates me, ie... whether one should really see the description of a person as a slut in a positive or negative light. I am one who has always felt that it is the name caller who has the problem

Full_Phil

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't care how you try to dress it up, whether it be as promiscuity or sluts, it's a complaint lodged uniquely towards women. Men who fuck a lot are studs, women are sluts. My healthy sex drive has proven that time and time again, but I don't really give a fuck anymore. That sure wasn't true when I was 12 and developed early, being called a slut then was pretty hard to take.

I still have to cackle at the MAN joke that a slut fucks everybody, but a bitch fucks everybody but you.

You include a number of the things I was trying to get at. Thanks! I knew a girl whose family finally had to send her away to an all-girl school because of all the negative comments she used to get purely because she matured very early in her teens and became quite voluptuous. Her life was made miserable by her peers, and she became the target of at least one of her classmates' fathers.

My overall interest in the subject has to do with the reasons behind the speed and ease with which people pin such a negative moniker on a person. I admit that I have a personal interest in what people think on the subject. The group here seems uniquely qualified to comment on issues experienced by people who have developed physically beyond the norm.

B_experimenter

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just wanted to say...

1) I love sluts.

2) I hate the arseholes who pull their behaviour them into line. Seen it happen too many times. Weapons used are guilt, possessiveness, shame, separation and worst of all...reason.

3) I am about to commence a counter-reformation programme for a reformed slut I know.

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There is no doubt that it is almost always used with a negative connotation when directed toward any woman. I have a god friend (male) who brags about being a “male slut.” The thing there is that he always is sure to add the word male before it and that he is not attempting to cast himself in a negative light. Quite the opposite, really- it is his way of trying to brag about fucking and never forming a relationship.

The thing about the word is that it need not even apply to the person you are directing it to. I look at when a person very close to my sister called her a slut. The thing was that at that point she was still a virgin (we discussed it years later) but I recall her being crushed. I think she would have been around 13 and dressed like many teens of that time- showing a little skin. She dated various guy, some of them a little unsavoury, but having this person use that word was hard. I imagine that it is also dependent on who is using the word. If it were a friend or somebody her own age I know she would have told them to fuck off, or perhaps nailed them in the face; but ti came from an adult and stuck with her for years.

I would also assume that, like many insults, they loose a little of their bite as people age. If you were to call a 30 year old a slut because she dresses showing a little leg she would probably dislike you, but the words would not stick with her because by that point she knows who she really is where as a teenager is still trying to figure that out.

Is it any worse than any other insult? I suppose it is because it aims at one of the areas that is still taboo and personal. Very few (if any) other words target a persons personal life and have the “moral” implications that slut does.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dolf, it's really like you said. It's a much bigger deal to a young girl who is shy than an older woman who has at least some confidence. I'm still so surprised in the differences in experience between boys and girls growing up that linger even to this day. I think it helps when boys have sisters growing up, they get to see what that's like.