small penises funny-looking?

bklynbigballs: [quote author=Max link=board=meetgreet;num=1034482765;start=0#6 date=10/13/02 at 13:15:11]Don't forget the classical view ... Greek statuary and renaissance sculpture such as Michaelangelo's David  depict male beauty with a small delicate penis.  Imagine them adorned with ugly outsized hosepipes such as some of us carry about.  That would be far more likely to generate a belly laugh than any aesthetic apprecation.  [/quote]

Actually, I wrote a paper about this in college believe it or not. The Greeks and the Romans loved big cocks. There are literary descriptions of the applause that would greet well endowed men when they'd enter the baths. So, yes, it would seem logical that, if these sculptures were supposed to represent the "ideal man," why wouldn't they be hung?

The thing to keep in mind is that these sculptures were supposed to be of youths. (These sculptures are refered to as "Korous" which is Greek for "Youth"). They were supposed to represent a young man in that golden moment of development in which he's just starting to grow up but he's still innocent. The Greeks (and the Romans and the sculptures from the Italian Renaissance, who copied the Greek aesthetic) simply felt that a huge dong would ruin that sense of youth and innocence. It's not that men that age hadn't grown that big yet, but a man that big would seem more experienced and sexual and ruin the effect of the sculpture. By the same token, the Greek sculptures of nude women had modest sized breasts. Venus is depicted as having breasts that would just about fill a champagne glass. Larger pendulous breasts were considered sexy back then but on a sculpture of a goddess, they would have seemed vulgar.

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
bklynbigballs:

This entire thread has proven most interesting reading!
Your info is especially enlightening. 'Never heard this matter in classic sculpture explained quite this way before. (Like many here, I too, had always wondered and noticed the depicted smaller sizes) Your info makes sense as it is obviously backed by your extensive research!

Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Jim22cm: I think all cocks look funny ...
flacid or erect ... both are funny ...
And my own cock is the most funny one ;)

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=bklynbigballs link=board=meetgreet;num=1034482765;start=15#21 date=01/16/03 at 07:44:04]

Actually, I wrote a paper about this in college believe it or not.  The Greeks and the Romans loved big cocks.  There are literary descriptions of the applause that would greet well endowed men when they'd enter the baths.  So, yes, it would seem logical that, if these sculptures were supposed to represent the "ideal man," why wouldn't they be hung?

The thing to keep in mind is that these sculptures were supposed to be of youths.  (These sculptures are refered to as "Korous" which is Greek for "Youth").  They were supposed to represent a young man in that golden moment of development in which he's just starting to grow up but he's still innocent.  The Greeks (and the Romans and the sculptures from the Italian Renaissance, who copied the Greek aesthetic) simply felt that a huge dong would ruin that sense of youth and innocence.[/quote]

I would debate that viewpoint. Most of the classical statues that had big cocks were those of fertility gods like Priapus or satyrs. Or the large phalli carried at the Greater Dionysia. The statuary by the fine arts sculptors (say the schools of Praxiteles or Phidias) all depict men and gods with dinky pinkies. Even Heracles, that paragon of masculinity, and Apollo, the ever horny god of light and poetry were depicted as hung like hamsters. Remember that Apollo was ready to prong any nymph, human woman or boy that wandered across his path. Do you really think the sculptors wanted to portray Apollo as innocent? Even randy Pan the goat boy was often portrayed as being rather modestly hung. All the huge hung statues of the Classical Period that I have seen were those that were frankly sexual for the sake of being frankly sexual, not those that were recognised as great works of art by 'art connoisseurs' of ancient Greece.