Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Smarter Men Have More Sperm

By Melinda Wenner, Special to LiveScience
posted: 09 January 2009 09:03 am ET

Women tend to like smart men because they're usually more successful and better providers. But here's another reason: Their sperm is better, a new study says.
Researchers at King's College London, the University of Delaware and the University of New Mexico recently compared results from five intelligence tests given to 425 Vietnam War vets in 1985 as part of the U.S. Centers For Disease Control and Prevention's Vietnam Experience Study. These vets, aged 31 to 44, also provided sperm samples, so the researchers analyzed the sperm per milliliter of semen, plus how many of the sperm swam normally, and other measures of sperm health.

The smarter the men were, the more sperm they produced and the better their wee ones swam — and it didn't matter how old the men were or whether they smoked, drank or were obese.

But why might these two seemingly unrelated traits be linked? Why would calculus aces or business consultants make better sperm?

Turns out that intelligent people are generally healthier than their less-clever peers — studies have shown that brainiacs are, for instance, less likely to suffer from heart disease and Alzheimer's. Scientists have suggested that smart people may score less stressful jobs in safer places and that they may make better lifestyle choices, for instance by exercising more and eating better. In other words, maybe bright people actually listen to the Surgeon General.

But these newest findings, to be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Intelligence, found that negative habits had little effect on sperm quality, so they don't support that theory.

The researchers instead speculate that intelligence might be passed down as part of a larger package of good attributes. One gene can influence multiple traits, so the genes involved in smarts may somehow improve sperm quality — and perhaps other characteristics as well.

This could help explain, then, why intelligence can be so sexy: It could simply be an indicator that a person has a lot of good genes and traits, says study co-author Geoffrey Miller, a psychologist at the University of New Mexico

It's a catchy title, but the research seems a bit at odds with itself.

The smarter the men were, the more sperm they produced and the better their wee ones swam —
and it didn't matter how old the men were or whether they smoked, drank or were obese.
or
Turns out that intelligent people are generally healthier than their less-clever peers — studies have shown that brainiacs are, for instance, less likely to suffer from heart disease and Alzheimer's. Scientists have suggested that smart people may score less stressful jobs in safer places and that they may make better lifestyle choices, for instance by exercising more and eating better. In other words, maybe bright people actually listen to the Surgeon General. [/QUOTE]
Either it matters that men smoke and drink or it doesn't. It can't be both. :irked:

MattBrick

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Very interesting article NJQT.
Thanks for sharing. Always good to see you on.
PS - I'm liking your sexy Nichele Nichols (Lt Uhura) avatar.
She reminds me of you.
Wish I was Mr. Spock.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
women of lpsg are waiting to make travel arrangements, pieterjoke. we so need an address.

ml

news story posted by NJQT two weeks from now.
daily news: youth under siege after posting query on the intorwebz. 12 american women arrested for stalking and sexual harassment held in detention. attempts to interview the young man were halted when a reporter from another station tried to fondle the already traumatized victim.

so kidding. promise.

Str8guy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Great song quotes, HB.

So glad a professor I used to work with made it to this site in some capacity. Haha.

My experienced analysis in the field yields that smarter men make better health choices, generally, but may also be less pre-disposed to degenerative diseases than their less intelligent male counterparts.

Hence, drinking and smoking will have more detrimental health effects on the lesser of us...theoretically (and according to the assertions made).

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's a catchy title, but the research seems a bit at odds with itself.

or
Turns out that intelligent people are generally healthier than their less-clever peers — studies have shown that brainiacs are, for instance, less likely to suffer from heart disease and Alzheimer's. Scientists have suggested that smart people may score less stressful jobs in safer places and that they may make better lifestyle choices, for instance by exercising more and eating better. In other words, maybe bright people actually listen to the Surgeon General. [/QUOTE]
Either it matters that men smoke and drink or it doesn't. It can't be both. :irked:

Very true... but then, these articles that support "Biology is destiny" usually do contain "research" that are at odds with themselves.

I'd say that healthier habits like not smoking, more exercise, etc. may have a positive impact on sperm count, but that intelligence in and of itself doesn't necessarily.

And, I'm not so sure women are drawn to intelligent men because of being "more successful and good providers" (My longest term relationship was with a guy who was very intelligent but chronically unemployed and practically homeless). I think maybe a lot of us like intelligent men because we want someone we can have a decent conversation with? (At least the more intelligent women would want this.)