Smokers And Morbidly Obese Denied Hospital Treatment

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, Oct 5, 2007.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

2. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Strongly urging lifestyle changes should be expected from healthcare professionals.

Denying treatment seems unethical.

Of course, the difference could be due to universal health care vs. private health care. If they expect the state to pick up the tab, that may influence the ethics of the situation.

3. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

From what I read its rare that treatments are denied ie cancelled completely but they have been delayed. Its for the patient's benefit though, they should make the necessary changes if they want the operation. Which the state pays for.

I don't think its a bad idea although its not being met with open arms. Many people are against it but they are probably the same obese smokers mentioned in the article :tongue:

4. frizzle

Gold Member

I've paid my taxes, and even more so through the extorniate prices of cigarettes. If I want free health care, I should fucking get free health care. I read a report the other day in politics class that over 6 billion a year is given to the government through smoking taxes and over 3 billion a year is used to treating smoking related causes. Do the maths, smokers give 3 billion a year EXTRA to the NHS, so next time your mother or grandmother needs a new hip, you know who to thank.

5. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

well said:cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted