"Smokers Have Small Penises"

Big Al

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This study is interesting and doubtless it is well regarded generally and I'm sure it contains lots of useful findings, not being a Doctor I can't say for sure. But I have several problems with it, firstly it's extremely old, a lot of science has passed under the bridge since 1986, and advances in our knowledge regarding genetics and a whole raft of other things has greatly increased since then. Secondly the study group is impaired by being self sellected, being as it only covers men who attended an impotence clinic, and not a more generalised group and in terms of medical studies the group was relatively small it's also a bit hazy on the study parameters.

Here are some newer studies for you:

Impotence and its medical and psychosocial correlates: results of the Massachusetts Male Aging Study -- Levy 2 (4): 278 -- The British Journal of Diabetes & Vascular Disease (see table 1)

SMOKING AND ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION: EVIDENCE BASED ANALYSIS

Cigarette smoking and other vascular risk factors ...[Urology. 1991] - PubMed Result

Look I'm definitely not disputing that smoking can have a huge range of very serious and in many cases fatal side effects, and I wouldn't recommend anyone take it up for these reasons, and would support anyone I knew in giving it up.

However there has been a tendency to almost randomly attribute a variety of illnesses and ailments to smoking as a default position when smoking was the only common factor a particular study was able to find in a studied group. The problem with this is a laziness in studying, many studies don't bother to be rigorous enough to look for other more subtle factors or if other common factors do exist they are often discounted in favour of the theory that smoking is the primary factor.

I understand the logic, smoking is incredibly bad for you, and doctors want to dissuade people from smoking by any means they can. I just think they could do so perfectly well by using the evidence we know to be solid, it's terrifying enough. Because what will happen is that instead of doctors discovering the true causes for problems they have rashly attributed to smoking and working to cure them all the focus will be on smoking.

This happened to me, I have an inherited skin condition, Hydradenitis Superativa, which because my doctor said was linked to smoking, I gave up for 18 months as a result but with no improvement in the condition and I was not properly treated for a long time. When I finally found out that other members of my family also suffered with this problem I told my doctor who was compelled to change the treatment of the condition, which is now thankfully under control, despite my having taken up smoking again, I have since discovered that the evidence that this condition is linked to smoking is highly speculative indeed and should not have formed the basis for a treatment plan.

I'm sorry to hear about your condition :(

I'm also one not to take something at face value just because it's an MD saying so. That's why I do lots of research- it's part of what I do for a living.

All of the studies I've read on impotence and non-organic causes all point to smoking having negative short and long term effects on penile health. In the more detailed studies they show that there's always more than one factor contributed by smoking that does this.

For the heavy smokers among us, if you can perform adequately while smoking several packs a day, picture what your health and performance would be like if you didn't smoke. I'm sure most of you will agree that there'll be some improvement.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I'm not basing my statements on that article alone. Smoking does indeed release enzymes such as matrix metalloproteases that interferes with elastin as well as causing emphysema.

I'll take your word on that.

If the vessels in the penis harden to the extent that a full erection is impossible, the erect length of the penis shrinks, does it not?

I suppose so, but then I've never denied that.

Genes are just part of it. Some people can smoke 2 packs a day and seem untouched, but it's quite likely that they'd be healthier (all other things being equal) if they didn't smoke. Chemical reactions are still occuring in the bodies of these smokers, and with all but the healthiest it's usually a matter of if and not when.

Sure and you could say exactly the same about any number of things which we put into or expose our bodies to, voluntarily or otherwise. Food being the obvious example.

There are many studies that prove otherwise (see the recent study I posted above). Do you believe that smoking is not responsible for hardening the arteries? If so, I'm sure you can find many newer medical studies that will show that smoking and arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) are indeed linked. Arteriosclerosis can affect erectile health.

No I'm not saying that there is no link between smoking and hardening of the arteries, nor am I saying that it isn't a factor in causing a percentage of cases arteriosclerosis, what I 'm saying is that simply saying "smoking causes arteriosclerosis" or "smoking causes penus shrinkage" is a generalisation and is not entirely accurate.

It's fine to be trying to dissuade people from smoking, I applaud you, more power to you, I'm just concerned about accuracy is all.

Big Al

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Site looks bogus to me. :yup: I know for a fact that smoking does not impede penis growth. TruckerTexman smokes and his cock is no where near small.

You're under the assumption that the article is attempting to prove that all smokers have small penises. That isn't the case. The intention of the article is to show that smoking can affect your erections.

Big Al

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No I'm not saying that there is no link between smoking and hardening of the arteries, nor am I saying that it isn't a factor in causing a percentage of cases arteriosclerosis, what I 'm saying is that simply saying "smoking causes arteriosclerosis" or "smoking causes penus shrinkage" is a generalisation and is not entirely accurate.

It's fine to be trying to dissuade people from smoking, I applaud you, more power to you, I'm just concerned about accuracy is all.

Note that I mention several times that there are many apparently healthy smokers that don't suffer from any apparent maladies. What has been determined is that smoking is a definite factor in many diseases.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're under the assumption that the article is attempting to prove that all smokers have small penises. That isn't the case. The intention of the article is to show that smoking can affect your erections.
Gotcha! I misunderstood the article. :redface: I am happy to say that though he sometimes smokes a pack a day, TruckerTexman never has any trouble becoming erect.:biggrin1:

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I stopped almost 20 years ago, but when I smoked I was fucking my gf everyday, most days 3 to 5 times....

D

deleted356736

The thing I remember most about smokers were the double amputations. My first time working in healthcare, and there was an acute hospital and a rehabilitation facility on the next street. Smokers would have both legs removed above the knee because of smoking-related gangrene caused by vascular damage, and then go to the rehabilitation centre to be taught how to live the rest of their lives. Most were in their forties and fifties.

If smoking causes people to lose their legs, what do you think it does to the penis?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
When I quit, I turned into an absolute horn dog for two months. Not that there was anything wrong erection wise before quitting. But my libido went through the roof! My ex was begging me to start again lol. I also painted the entire house inside and out the first six weeks. Quitting does wonders for your energy levels.

Symphonic

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wonder if people are aware that there is more to the human body than one particular thing. If you smoke but exercise things are going to be different, genetics override smoking altogether, and the cardiovascular effects of smoking do exist regardless of whether you do or do not have a large penis.

Also, to further that point, no one said you lose 5 inches. Dear lord.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Another smoker here, and I get as hard as a rock. Some of the most common factors of ED are general health; including, high blood pressure, diabetes, prostate problems, depression, spinal or head injury, certain medications and stress. I think it's important to realize that alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking can contribute to the problem but are not the cause without the other factors I mentioned.

Bostonguy30

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I recently started replacing cigs with nicotine lozenges and after 2-3 months I noticed more frequent erections and they seemed bigger. I ended up curious enough to take out the tape measure for the third time in my life and I actually found an increase of somewhere between .25" and .75".

This wasn't exactly years after stopping either, so it should be encouraging it's not some irreversible thing.

Flaccid, I seem to have some more blood flow most of the time-I'm not complaining given how much I grow.

If you smoke, it's only going to hurt you. I never understood why people do it, disgusting habit, is it just because you're all addicted to nicotine? The coolness factor died in the 50's, and you just all look like a tool now when you smoke

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you smoke, it's only going to hurt you. I never understood why people do it, disgusting habit, is it just because you're all addicted to nicotine? The coolness factor died in the 50's, and you just all look like a tool now when you smoke

Thanks so much, how many times I have heard this I can't tell you. I can't speak for the other smokers here, but I like smoking, and because of the laws I am mostly confined to doing it in my home. Meanwhile I took this test and smoking aside I'm going to live to be 90, and I can live with that. Because nobody gets out of this world alive and I intend to keep doing the things that please me.
Lifespan Calculator – Test Your Life Expectancy || NM
Maybe there is a glitch with the test, but I just responded again with the same answers with the exception of saying that I never smoked and gained a year....Sometime I'll tell the story of how smoking actually saved my life and a couple of others of how it changed my life. My point is I don't tell people that they should start smoking...So stop telling me I should stop!

Last edited:

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks so much, how many times I have heard this I can't tell you. I can't speak for the other smokers here, but I like smoking, and because of the laws I am mostly confined to doing it in my home. Meanwhile I took this test and smoking aside I'm going to live to be 90, and I can live with that. Because nobody gets out of this world alive and I intend to keep doing the things that please me.

I enjoy my smokes too. :wink:

You know I've seen too many people that try to do all the right things and they die prematurely anyway. You pays your money and takes your chance.

Is it better to live to a ripe old age with a life full of regrets and self denial or die a little younger and "pack it all in"?

If I were to die this week I can put my hand on my heart and say that I have no regrets about anything I have done. What seemed to be a shitpile at the time often turned out to be a blessing in disguise. :wink: Life is way too short for words like "I wish I had..................."

Fleur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe there is a glitch with the test, but I just responded again with the same answers with the exception of saying that I never smoked and gained a year....Sometime I'll tell the story of how smoking actually saved my life and a couple of others of how it changed my life. My point is I don't tell people that they should start smoking...So stop telling me I should stop!

Eh...that "calculator" is based on bull...like bmi and the elusive 'stress' and other arbitrary factors people think are important (like environmental (i.e. driving...what happens if you live in a city where you don't drive??)). I don't really think you can take it seriously. Fact is...smoking is really really bad for you. There are better habits to have to calm your nerves, placate your oral fixation, do to take a break and relax...etc. The only way to know you're healthy is to get checked by a doctor regularly...period. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow or get cancer regardless of smoking and that calculator doesn't plan for that.

But you're right. It's your life and do with it as you please. Quality of life is very subjective after all.

B_Morning_Glory

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
exactly NY. its funny how you never see the smokers harassing the non smokers isn't it. i guess the non smokers such as KODAK 101 and others thinks it is some how COOL to use his term, to bash all smokers and try to portray they are bad people and that they have small cocks and cant get a hard on or what ever else they can dream up. i can assure them that their thoughts on this is most certainly not true at all. every guy Ive ever met that smoked, has a big cock and has very very hard erections. just as much as the non smokers, a few maybe more so actually. i for one don't smoke but my hubby does and has every since he was big enough to hold a cig. probably LOL. he can out do all our friends who don't smoke during hiking trips. running marathons as well as many other normal things that they run out of energy doing. i laugh inside every time i hear one of them telling him about his smoking habits and he should stop for his own health etc. etc. and some where on the trail, there he is just setting their on a log or a big rock by the trail just puffing away, while he is waiting on them to get catch up to us LOL. he told one of our friends once that when its his time to go, he will probably die with a smoke in one hand and coffee or what ever other drink thats loaded down with caffeine in the other hand smiling because he out lived all the non smokers and non drinkers who were always telling him he would live longer if he quit smoking and cut back on caffeine.