Smokers -- Opinions?

How do you feel about smokers as partners (fling or serious)?

• Total voters

driftingvoid

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Hey all--

I was hoping to solicit some opinions from the community here on smoking & partners. Are you okay with it? Do you smoke too, so you don't care? Is it an instant turnoff? Somewhere in between? Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Anyway, behold: a poll. Please note that it is multiple choice; also, please select one from each group of two options (sex, do you smoke, do you care about others).

Last edited:

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
a definite deal breaker; no exceptions

Hey all--

I was hoping to solicit some opinions from the community here on smoking & partners. Are you okay with it? Do you smoke too, so you don't care? Is it an instant turnoff? Somewhere in between? Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Anyway, behold: a poll.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have been taught that tobacco is a sacred substance which should be used for prayer and not for self-pleasure only, otherwise it will kill you. Please pray every time you light up. Otherwise, here is what I recommend

helgaleena healing line : Healing Lines / General / The Green Movement is embraced by Corporations now? Marlboro Greens-- smoke yourself into compost!

I grew up in smoking households and do not mind secondhand smoke or kissing a smoker. But I do not enjoy having smoke inside my mouth nose and lungs. I also sing.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It is six months since I gave up smoking completely and I do not detest it. I don't like people smoking beside me in confined spaces but I wont make a fuss if they do. At this stage I will still defend other people right to smoke. I'm not sure how I will feel about smoking in the future but would like to think I will be fairly tolerant and not your typical non smoker.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It is six months since I gave up smoking completely and I do not detest it. I don't like people smoking beside me in confined spaces but I wont make a fuss if they do. At this stage I will still defend other people right to smoke. I'm not sure how I will feel about smoking in the future but would like to think I will be fairly tolerant and not your typical non smoker.

Basically the same here myself..... quit for about 10 weeks now, using Champix / Chantix

B_CSteed

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't really like it, but if the girl is really hot and cool then it doesn't bother me hardly at all. Though, I am really into fitness and nutrition and someone with a similar mindset would never be addicted to tobacco. If I really care about her, I would hope that she would eventually stop because I wouldn't want to see her die early or be unhealthy in her old age.

As for smoking weed . . . that is a prerequisite. I'll fuck a girl who doesn't smoke weed, but we can never have a relationship. She can't just smoke occasionally either. I need my woman to be a stoner like me.

Belly_Dancer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I don't smoke now -- haven't smoked for 13 years -- but I did smoke from the ages of 14 to 26, and by the end of it I was a very heavy smoker.

I prefer my partner not to smoke, but not because I think it is disgusting, or a turn-off, or anything like that.

I prefer my partner not to smoke because I want him to be around for a long, long time, and to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

I refuse to judge people for smoking, because I did it myself. However, I do believe people who smoke are seriously placing their health at risk and I have compassion for them in their addiction.

My current husband has never been a smoker.

My ex did manage to quit about 3 years after I did, but he started up again a year before we split.

I never felt sexually disgusted by him for smoking, I never thought he stank of cigarette smoke very much (he always smoked outside), and I'm sorry, but kissing a smoker is not even remotely like licking an ashtray (as some people like to say).

Not that I've ever licked an ashtray.

However, even though I was not disgusted, I was heartbroken when he started smoking again. Heartbroken because he was already insulin-dependent diabetic with gout and high cholesterol, and was just adding to his serious health problems by smoking. I did not want to see him get more ill, and I did not look forward to a future in which his body would break down because of his ill use of it (he did not manage his diabetes well, in spite of my efforts to help him).

Getting off the subject, sorry...

The point is that I don't think smoking in and of itself is disgusting, but I do think it can be harmful, and I'm glad I don't have to be torn up anymore about my significant other smoking.

spiritsong72

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For dating purposes, it's an instant deal-breaker. For casual sex, I'd prefer you not but since I know it's not going any further than sex I can look the other way. For the general public, I'd rather you not but I'm not going to try and take away your right to.

driftingvoid

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Wow.

@ Belly_Dancer, thanks for your difference in opinion. I was beginning to think I was the only person who didn't think kissing a smoker was equivocal to licking ashtrays.

I was whole-heartedly against smoking, coming from a complete loss of understanding as to why anyone would do it, until I met the girl who would be come my girlfriend and smoked. I've always been an open-minded person, and not one to shut people down for anything they can justify, so it wasn't surprising that the girl smoking didn't turn me away. I'm trying to quit now, which is hard around someone who smokes; however, she's away for a couple months, and I have time to hopefully kick the habit before she returns-- and this time around, I won't get sucked into it (.. again).
Smoking isn't something I'm proud of, but I think that a lot of people have ... "unjustified" reactions to smokers. I've heard the whole "ashtray" response so many times, and I'll even admit that I was almost lulled into that closed-minded view when much younger, but ... well, I'll pose this as an honest question: have any of you people who assume smokers always stink and taste like ashtrays actually kissed a smoker?

I've made out with a few people in my day, smokers and not.. and I can honestly say I've never felt like I was anything close to licking an ashtray. And as a smoker (or perhaps simply as a person who's not proud to be a smoker), I take extra caution (above my normal self-consciousness on odors) in making sure my breath doesn't stink. And I haven't met a smoker yet who doesn't sip a drink, chew some gum, pop a mint, or in some other way try to mask the smell before going out and breathing all over potentially non-smokers.

I hope my post doesn't come off as an abrasive reaction to responses I solicited-- that certainly isn't my intention. I suppose that now I'm simply curious as to whether many peoples' responses are rooted in stereotype or previous experience.

To the haters' credit, I will admit that I've had a ( a ) negative experience when tasting bodily secretions immediately after the other person had smoked. I'd heard/read the rumors & research/commentary that smoking can impact the taste of secretions, especially with guys' cum. I wasn't really thinking about it at the time (it wasn't like an experiment), but I went down on a girl very shortly after she'd smoked and there was a definite difference in how she tasted after her fluids started flowing. It was the only time I've ever had even remotely close to an unpleasurable experience with eating out a girl. She tasted great all the rest of the times, though :).

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I dated a smoker once and I didn't like it. She'd go down on me and my balls would smell like Camel Lights... gross.

For several years I worked for one of the big tobacco companies. I never really smoked but occasionally would take a drag for appearances and I found it revolting. Aside from the health issues, the smell is disgusting.

I wouldn't date or hook up with a smoker ever again

bigbulgelicker45

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been a smoker since the latter part of '81 and really started on a full time basis in '82. Basically it was because everyone else was doing it in the bar and unfortunately I became addicted to it. Then when I started working people were doing it in the office so it seemed natural (even though you could easily go through a pack a day and maybe really smoke two cigarettes).

I don't smoke pot (I did smoke it maybe six times after I graduated high school and it never did anything for me. The last time I smoked it, it was laced with something and I was out of it for a couple of days) and I don't judge those who do but if I know someone does smoke it I'd rather not be around them since I don't like the smell of it. I guess people can say the same about regular smoke as well.

I'm also not a coffee drinker (but drank it when I was little) and while I love the smell I think coffee breath is worse than smokers breath.

If someone doesn't want to be with me because I smoke then that's up to them and since we can't smoke in bars anymore I don't go out as often, but what I always thought it was funny on the non smokers part. They'd go to a bar, get drunk, bum a cigarette from someone and then complain about how they "hated being in a bar with all that smoke."

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Freaking hate it! So disgusting and it makes people smell bad, even after they brush their teeth they taste gross. EW!

I'm quoting myself to clarify that I used to smoke, so I'm speaking from experience, I hate the fact that it was a part of my life. I quit several times, now it's been over three years. I hate cigarettes, that's why I quit. Now when I go somewhere and I'm around people who smoke I realize how awful it used to be when I did it because I walk away from them smelling like cigarettes. I don't hate people who smoke, my partner smokes. I simply hate it and I can still taste cigarettes on him after he smokes. I have no idea what an ashtray tastes like, I just know that his mouth still has the residual taste as does his skin.

People can smoke if they choose to do so. My opinion is still EW about smoking. I'm doing my best to be healthly, no cigarettes or coffee or any of that stuff. I know how boring am I:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:

dad4you

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I used to smoke many years ago. Now I find smokers breath repellent and smokers cum is much more bitter than non-smokers.

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not only do they say that smoking hinders erections, but it's not very romantic, to kiss somebody, who smells LIKE AN ASHTRAY.

Nasty cancer stick cigarettes, and unnatural contraceptives, both poison the body directly. If the "environmentalists" were for real, they would have to speak against and oppose both, for directly polluting the body. And let's throw in concern about toxins in today's excessive vaccines, for good measure.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
As a young child I had aversion therapy from both parents to such an extent that I have what even I would consider to be an abnormal hatred for it.

When I was in the 4-7 year old age range, we would journey a distance to see my Grandparents in a small town about 75 miles Southeast of Los Angeles. They would shove this little kid in the back seat of a '56 Pontiac Star Chief and then both would "light-up" and off we would go. There was this little kid who needed a gas mask in the back seat. Because at that time both were heavy smokers we now know that in second hand smoke I actually qualified as a smoker at that age when on these trips.

The 1950's were a different time and we did not at that time know what we have learned in the years since.

Both parents quit smoking before their respective deaths. While it played no role in the death of my Father it was a contributor to the death of my Mother who suffered from Osteoporosis in her later years.

When my other half and I met, in order to have a relationship with me the cigarettes had to go. Though I respect his rights 100%, he was genetically destined to have lung problems and it was discovered that in spite of being thin at that time that he had severe sleep apnea and to this day sleeps with a CPAP machine. The lung damage done by the smoking when combined with the apnea was a horrific combination. Both Brothers also suffer from sleep apnea and neither are significantly overweight. My other half is the only one who has successfully quit smoking. When the apnea was diagnosed the MD told my other-half that if he did not quit and based on the existing lung damage and the apnea that his odds of making it past his 50th Birthday were not good.

My problem with smoking is not that it is in and of itself a bad thing as a habit, it is all the ancillary effects it has or all the places it becomes a "player" or negative.

We are watching my sister-in-law at age 56 dying of the advancement of C.O.P.D. right now. She was a heavy smoker and did not quit until her diagnosis. She has had pneumonia numerous times, has been hospitalized with the inability to breathe over and over and if she lives long enough to see either of her kids start a family we will indeed have a miracle. However as oxygen levels fall and breathing becomes more and more of an effort heart damage usually results. This is what the cause of death usually is.

At this time I can't stand it in any manner, but, in all fairness I admit freely that my extreme dislike came from my early childhood and getting "gassed" by my parents.