smoking a pipe (tobacco)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by roosevelt, May 24, 2007.

1. roosevelt

roosevelt New Member

I'm thinking of taking up smoking a pipe, some of my fondest memories growing up where sitting on my grandad's knee while he smoked a pipe, and told stories of a bygone era.

Anybody else smoke a pipe? if you do, what are your favorite tobaccos? anything I should know?

2. holsty101

holsty101 New Member

I have similar memories from my childhood, but I have to say, I don't think it's a very good idea. You know smoking's really really bad for you, right?

For me, I'm happy to leave them as fond memories. And when they get triggered by a whiff of pipe smoke, that's nice.

R.I.P. 12/05
    R.I.P. 03/07

3. Onslow

Gold Member

Dear old (long departed) Dad smoked pipes. He had a huge collection of them. I always enjoyed the aroma of the tobacco as it cooked away in the bowl and occasionally when he switched pipes and had not cleaned the previous one I would get the opportunity to clean the thing myself. I loved the smell and taking the pipe apart and cleaning the stem and the bowl. Often I would then hold the pipe myself and suck on the stem trying all the while to look older.

Although you will probably get a good and lively response from the folks here; I have also tossed in a website for additional info. (and I'm sure there are other places as well including tobacco shops which can give you extra pointers and maybe even starting instruction--through patient demonstration on achieving a good draw on the pipe so that it won't need to be relit constantly (a problem I have seen with many pipe men).

Lastly; be sure to post some sexy photos of yourself with the pipe (okay; so I just want more photos of you on here--but the pipe will be an added bonus:smile: ; men with pipes and a plume of waggly wafting smoke are curiously sexy.)

Now about that website: Tobacco pipe smoking tips

4. monstro

monstro New Member

I tried smoking pipes when I was young and in college and searching for affectations. I was really into tobacco at the time, and enjoyed cigarettes and cigars a great deal, and always thought pipes smelled great. But it didn't taste the way it smelled, unfortunately. The thing is that pipes have to be broken in--that great aroma you associated with your grandpa comes from 40 years of his using the same pipe. Using a new pipe is like sucking on a plastic car exhaust.

It's your choice, but you can probably find better ways to honor your grandfather.

5. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    I believe in having an annual or ceremonial "smoke" just to mark a transition and as a form of remembrance, even though I don't smoke myself. Usually it's in the form of a cigar -- just once a year --- to mark the past and contemplate the future. Just stay away from cheap or over-scented tobaccos that have tons of additives.

Try a Dominican Monte Cristo if you have access to a decent tobacco store.

6. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My experience with pipes was back in the '70s, but we used a trendy substitute for tobacco.

7. dong20

Gold Member

Dominican.....aaaaaggghh! Just teasing they're OK but of course the real thing is still illegal isn't in the US?

I do the same - a very occasional one - a Romeo and Juliet usually though if you feel like a challenge try a Partagas. The last was last Xmas when I was in Lusaka. Prior to that was Xmas 2004 in Reykjavik. I remember my first - Plaza Catedral in Habana Viejo, a Cohiba Corona...when I stood up afterward I nearly fell over.:eek:

Enjoyable, but my breath probably smelt for days...:redface:

8. roosevelt

roosevelt New Member

As far as the pipe being groken in, I'm aware of that, and I've actually got my grandad's pipes to smoke. A couple of briar pipes and a couple of meerschaum pipes.

I've got a good tobacanist, and I do smoke cigars about once a month or so, and I'm planning to replace them with the pipe.

I wasn't expecting such a negative response to this, kinda surprising honestly. But thanks for the input I did get.

Onslow, thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted