Smoking

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by KingKoopa, Aug 6, 2010.

1. KingKoopa

KingKoopa Member

Albums:
    I would like to quit smoking. Anyone here Smoked for for awhile and quit? I've tried quitting but Im a dick head to everyone when I try to quit.

2. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Here you can get some tablets called Champix that are supposed to work really well. Apparently they just make you not feel like having a smoke. My mum tried them and they didn't make her stop, but she did cut down a lot.

Good luck!

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Well, to be honest, you're going to feel that way. I don't know anyone who hasn't. The best you can do is warn people. One thing that helps is setting a date. Not next week, that's too soon, but like a couple weeks or a month away. Just mark your calendar that you're going to quit then. It'll help you prepare for it, mentally and emotionally. Let the people around you know that you plan on quitting then, and you apologize in advance for any unkind words that may be said. You do eventually stop being a dickhead. :p

4. B_hardasarokkk

B_hardasarokkk New Member

the biggest hurdle is actually wanting to quit... Take it from a veteran of 40 years on the things... Ive quit a few times. my best was 8 months. Its really quite easy, just say no. I dont do that shit anymore.change your habits, if you always get up out of bed and reach for one then do something else, change your lifestyle, set some goals, its not easy... but it is if you want it to happen.
    I want to save up for a new car... should I start today or wait till tommorrow? same with smoking, are you a person that puts things off till the last minute? then you have no chance buddy!!!
    Obviously I have past the stage of giving up and all will be forgiven, my lungs will not recover from the 1/4 million cigs Ive consumed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GET TO A DOCTOR and let him show you pictures of what is inside my lungs right now! if you have a cough and bring up phlem in the mornings you have got emphasima!! its killing off the air sacks in your lungs......
    take a deep breath and hold it... now try and suck more air in on top of that... this is what I do every day! Im living on that little bit I can suck in..its how I have to breath now... I wont be here in 12 months but dont let that worry you, it tastes sooooo good and its cool to smoke isnt it?
    I could go on and on but I need to go out for a smoke...
    see ya later.

#4 B_hardasarokkk, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  5. got_lost

Gold Member

I wanted to quit but knew I'd be crap at it so 6 months ago I got hypnotised and haven't thought about it or had a cigarette since. It's been no effort whatsoever. Just been erased off my list of things to do. Zip. Nada.

Dead easy.
    Highly recommend it.

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    In the US it's marketed as Chantix. I was on it for about 2.5 months; it's not covered by insurance and is very expensive (if memory serves, about $150 per month at a large chain pharmacy), though I guess it's about the same as buying a pack a day where I live (cigs are cheap in FL).

It works by deleting your ability to register pleasure from smoking, which in turn makes it a futile and absurd exercise in self-abuse. From that perspective, it worked really well.

The problem for me was that it dulled my ability to feel pleasure generally, giving every emotion a washed-out gray-beige quality, making everything one big "why bother?" :rolleyes: Nothing, and I do mean nothing, seemed worth the effort.

I also had some of the oddest nightmares/yukky dreams, which diminished any pleasure I got from sleeping most nights, too. The warning label includes suicidal thoughts as possible side effects, and I don't think it's unwarranted (though that never happened to me, personally). I'm used to living with really disturbing side-effects from some meds, but these were a real tough row to hoe.

I cut way, way back and after about 7 weeks stopped altogether for about a month (still taking the Chantix as prescribed) until it came time to work a conference in Portland, OR (on the exact opposite extreme of the continental US from SoFla). The flight, with two layovers, took well over 12 hours (and I dislike flying in general and airports in particular). By the second layover I braved the security ordeal involved to go outside for a smoke (which I had in my carry-on); by the time we reached Portland I was ready for another.

By the end of the five-day (and very stressful) conference, I'd given up Chantix and had resumed smoking. Within two weeks I was smoking as much as I ever had. I have real medical reasons to not smoke but continue. Guilt doesn't work, the wake-up ritual of "productive cough" doesn't work, patches and gum don't work (been there, tried that twice already). I've heard success stories about Chantix: all I can say is that it was not the right choice for me.

7. Belly_Dancer

Belly_Dancer Member

I smoked from the time I was 14 until I was 26. Early on I only smoked a few cigarettes a day; by the time I quit I had been smoking 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day.

I think the biggest and most important thing is that I had to be sure I really wanted to quit. If you only kind of want to, or if you are of a mixed mind whatsoever, I don't think it will work. I think you have to make a firm decision.

The main things that motivated me were:

1) I was on Birth Control pills (still am, actually) and as a woman gets older, her risk for having a stroke skyrockets if she smokes and takes the pill. So I wanted to quit well before this became a danger.

2) I had developed a case of chronic bronchitis that was just not going to go away as long as I continued to smoke. My Doctor told me this, and I believed her.

When I smoked my last cigarette on the final night just before bed, I knew it really was my last cigarette. The thought was kind of terrifying, but I did my best to accept it and enjoy that cigarette to the fullest.

From the next day onward, I was a non-smoker.

I used nicotine patches to help with the physical withdrawal so that at first all I had to deal with was the emotional withdrawal (not a small thing). A couple of things that helped me cope:

1) Daily Exercise. I made it a priority to get to the gym every day, without exception. I found that getting really winded doing cardio kind of mimicked the feeling of smoking for me, and left me feeling satisfied for a while as if I had had a smoke. Also, it kept me from putting on as much weight as most people do when they quit smoking.

2) Deep Breathing Exercises. When cravings would come over me, I would breathe really deeply. Sometimes I would purse my lips and breathe as if I were smoking; this did not get rid of the craving completely, but it did help. Taking deep breaths also helped me when I felt emotionally overwhelmed.

After several months on patches, I discontinued them, and survived the physical withdrawal even though I gained about 15 pounds, which took me over a year to lose. But I understand some weight gain is normal, and it's not permanent.

8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    QFT. I did the same thing. It worked like a charm. I still think you have to want to quit, but we all do. It wasn't that hard and everyday you think about it less and less. Like K8 said, it's just something I don't do anymore.

9. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wen my mother quit (because the surgeon general of the hospital to which she'd been admitted for the umpteenth time told her she had to) she cut back from nearly a pack a day, to making her last pack last so long that the smokes were stale and foul toward the end of the pack. At least that's how she described them. She made them last a month. This was easy for her, because she was in a hospital. After she left the hospital, she avoided social situations. At work, she was the boss anyway, and I suppose those under her just hated her for a while.

Irritability is better than the lung and artery damage. Best of luck to you.

10. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

I smoked from being 14 to 34,i stopped and started about 10 times in that time.

I usually smoked about 5-10 a day but when my eldest daughter died i went up to about 80 a day ( i know its alot) lighting one from another sometimes......

I tried Nicorette and it was a waste of money,Champix had a bad review so i decided against that.

I also went to hypnosis...also bought a Paul McKenna cd to see if that would help...it didnt!

In the end i got a chest infection and quit....i could hardly breath and felt sick even looking at the cigarette packet.

3.5 years later i still don't smoke and am the worst ex smoker EVER for complaining about the smell of it etc etc :D

I think the only way to quit is having that mind set to start with.

P.S...I didnt smoke whilst pregnant but started again (outside the house only) when the babies were about 8 months old.....daft to start again i know!

#10 D_Sparroe Spongecaques, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  11. nudeyorker

Gold Member

There used to be a place in LA called the Schick Clinic that guaranteed you would quit or you got your money back. ( I got my money back)
    I then tried Smoke-Enders and got my money back from them also.
    I think the reason it did not work is that I did not really want to quit but felt pressured by others to do so.
    Shortly after this time I decided to run in the Honolulu Marathon and I just quit cold turkey and trained for it for 18 months and when I finished the race I hobbled over to Long's Drugstore and bought a pack of cigarettes.
    Since then I have tried the gum, the patches and Wellbutrin. I thought about the Chantix but I think the drug is actually more harmful than smoking really.
    It all comes down to the fact that if you want to quit and really mean it you will be successful in quitting.
    I have really enjoyed smoking and thankfully have not suffered any of the consequences of the warnings.
    I used to smoke about a pack a day and last March I bought a carton of cigarettes duty free when I was coming home from the UK; I still have half of them left in the freezer. Most of the time I don't smoke, but if I feel like smoking a cigarette I don't beat myself up for it. Maybe someday I will really want to quit.
    Good Luck to the OP!

12. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    When my ex-wife and I were dating we both agreed we'd never try changing the other person, save one exception... she wanted me to quit smoking. I was a pack a day guy and tried quitting several times prior to her request.

Anyway, I made her a deal. I'd quit smoking if I could replace my smoking cravings for sex. Evertime I had the urge to smoke, which was frequent, she and I would have sex. It could be oral sex or PIV sex, that was her choice. It didn't have to be to completion, at the very least it had to be until the craving went away.

Surprisingly she agreed, and back then I was self-employed and worked out of the house (and she was jobless).

Worked like a charm and I lost a few pounds in the process. :smile:

13. D_Relentless Original

Albums:

First, you have to invite me over, spend a couple of months with you, move in maybe?.

Lol, seriously, it will be a struggle and there may be more attempts of stopping than actually stopping. I think you really have to be in the right frame of mind to do so. Not actually the same, but i stopped drinking, now getting on for four years, although i can still get the craving, i don't do it.

Up to you, but i would try and do it without any patches etc and see how that goes. Good luck and let us know how you do,

14. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I quit 3 years ago. Now I hate cigarettes. I cannot stand the smell of them, it literally makes me sick feeling and I feel like I cannot get clean air when I am exposed to them now!!!

First of all, congratulations on wanting to quit! That is the first step. If you don't really want to quit, you will not have the ability to quit. I didn't take any medication or chew gum or use the patches.

I set a goal. I numbered the amount of cigarettes I could have. Starting with -5-6 a day, because I really didn't smoke very much. Then I cut back one a day. Eventually I was down to one cigarette a day. That lasted for a few days and it would literally make me so high/ dizzy when I smoked it that I would have to sit down or lay down. One day I had a headache and didn't have my one cigarette.... I never smoked again.

Even though I didn't smoke very many a day myself, my boyfriend smoked and he still smokes. It was extremely hard because just about all of my close friends and family smoke.

I would also reccommend keeping something like lifesavers or mints or whatever in your pockets or with you at all times. It seemed to help my with my oral fixation. I have no idea how many tootsie rolls I ate during the month after I quit but it was worth it.

Everything tastes and smells completely different. You will be amazed once you stop and you walk past someone who smokes and think to yourself "Ew, I used to smell like that... blech!!!!"

Goodluck!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!

15. KingKoopa

KingKoopa Member

Albums:
    Thank you all for the help im currently smoking 3-4 cigars a day. I feel like im killing my self im only 22 but I wanna get old. Cancer scares the shit outta of me.

16. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

I'll probably be shouted at for saying this (by the clever clogs) but you are more at risk from heart disease than cancer due to smoking.

When i was a student nurse i did a stint on cardiac and the amount of patients on there who smoked was unbelievable.The consultants told me smoking is a massive factor in heart disease...i smoked at the time btw.I was scared i can tell you.

17. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Here the first month is covered by Medicare, then it costs $200 a month. A month's worth of smokes costs $400 if you smoke a pack a day so it's worth it cost wise if it works.

I didn't know the side effects could be so bad. I will tell my mum to keep an eye on herself if she takes it again. Thanks for the info :smile:

Why am I not surprised? :biggrin1:

18. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

Champix is very expensive here too, 197 euros.

One of my mates at work managed to quit though, but she had similar experinces like you. She said she couldn't take pleasure from anything, smoking, alcohol, eating etc.

She would also have the weirdest dreams, like one night when she dreamt that a schoolclass was kidnapped. She said it didn't feel so bad though. It was just as if she lost her ability to react to things around her.

19. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because I can re-frame every motivation to be sexual in nature? :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Two other things to note regarding smoking (one of which is non-sexual ::gasp::)

1) Erections were totally improved - I was about 5-3/4" long before I quit. A few months after I officially quit, I measured again and not only were my erections harder and fatter, but my length grew to 6". (all that was pre-PE by the way). I can see why heart disease is another hazard to smoking. It definitely fucks with your circulation.

2) My endurance was totally shot when I smoked. I was in a stickfighting competition a few years ago and I handily beat my opponent, but lost the match because I nearly passed out between rounds. I don't fight anymore now, but my wind is definitely much more improved from quitting (I can last longer in bed too)

...Hmm, I guess both of them were sexually related. I lied. :tongue:

20. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    One thing that may help you cut back gradually on the cigars, King--- my Native relations say that tobacco is meant for prayer. The reason it harms people is that you don't say a prayer every time you set it on fire. If you are smoking only for selfish soothing of your own craving, it's going to harm you.

Reduce your number of smokes consciously and remain deliberate about what you think each time you smoke. Smoke for all of creation, not just your own pleasure. That is how to mentally regain control.

And if you cannot manage to turn your smoking into a prayer, shun it.

Draft saved Draft deleted