SNL - Does anyone even bother?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to love Saturday Night Live...absolutely loved it...granted, i grew up when it was at its best in the glory years 1975-1984 or so, and then a resurgence from about 1987-1995 or so...

but it has saddened me to watch it slide in to near-total irrelevance.

anyone else feel the same?

cannot recall the last time i even bothered to watch even a replay of a single skit...

i think the last time i actually watched an actual full episode was in 2000 or so when Will Ferrell left, but even before that for a few years my interest was slipping.

there were just so many brilliant sketches...

on another note...who would you say are your all-time favorite cast members, both on SNL and since they left?

for me

1. Eddie Murphy
2. John Belushi
3. Bill Murray
4. Will Ferrell
5. Phil Hartman
6. Chris Farley
7. John Lovitz

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I still download and watch SNL, I don't tend to enjoy it very often but I have this stupid hope that maybe it'll be funny each week - and every week I am disappointed. The only reason which is keeping me watching at the moment is the wonderful Kristen Wiig who is one of the best female cast members I can recall. If she wasn't on the show, I think I would quickly forget about it.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i loved Martin Short as "Nathan Thurm"...the lawyer for the Hong Kong novelty toy making company, being interviewed by "Mike Wallace" on "60 Minutes" for an expose

YouTube - Nathan Thurm 1984 - Martin Short - Saturday Night Live 15th Anniversary Special clip

is it me? It's him right? LOL

and of course, the classic Patrick Swayze/Chris Farley Chippendales DAnce Off

the men's synchronized swim team with Martin Short, HArry Shearer and Christopher Guest was amazing as well...lol

and the "Jackie Rogers Jr. $100,000 Jackpot Show"

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I watched the Frickin skit with the biker girls and I have to say what a waste of airtime. I tuned in late and if the rest of the show was anything like that then I didn't miss much. I was so bored with the biker chick skit I didn't even realize the word fuck was used once instead of Frickin. West coast airing were edited but east coast wasn't. I wanted to see the music act but tuned in to just the last few seconds so I missed the best part probably. I did however see the transformer skit and wish Brian was allowed to show it all, what a bummer. He still looks pretty fit.

If were quoting favorite skits I'd have to say anything Justin Timberlake had his hands on.

Single Ladies,Mother Lover,Dick in a Box.....

Last edited:

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When it was in its heyday, I would not miss the show. If I would be out I made certain to record it. Now, I tune in only if something significant happened during the week that they would turn into a comedy routine. Some of them can be great political commentary. I will usually try to watch the remainder of the for the occasional comedic gem. I am very often disappointed.

D_Mansworthy Meatwrench III

Experimental Member
Media
It is slightly better than watching the Sham Wow Infomercial.
Though.....I still like the Ron Popeil Turkey Rotisserie much better.

I don't watch unless they happen to have a decent host.
Problem is, I don't know who the hell most of the hosts/people are.
(Evidently, I don't invest enough time into something called "TMZ".)

I thought "Head Wound Harry" was a classic....that dog was comedy gold.
That and anything with Christopher Walkin in it (Colonel Angus, The Continental).
If I can't find anything else on the tube at that time, I will watch SNL.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I thought last season had some brilliant moments (even apart from Tina Fey) but this season's opener made me want to shoot myself in the head.

Me too and we've discussed this. And U2 is over for me. I miss the Red Rocks days and Boy. I still can't believe Michaela and casey got the boot for the unfunny newcomers. PLeeeeeeeease bring back Molly, Maya, Jan Hooks, Nora Dunn. Does anyone remember Christine Ebersole was a regular?

wellhung9

Experimental Member
Media
have to agree, ever since Will Ferrell left the show has been weak. i don't even know if I can name a cast member anymore. i probably haven't watched it in over two years.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It's probably still better than Mad TV. :tongue: I can't remember many skits, I haven't ever watched much either, but I love the cowbell one. It's classic.

Doesn't matter though, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is the best and funniest show on TV. Thursday nights, 9 o'clock, FX.

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
have to agree, ever since Will Ferrell left the show has been weak. i don't even know if I can name a cast member anymore. i probably haven't watched it in over two years.

For some reason, Will Farrell never appealed to me. On the other hand, Chris Farley, certainly did. Recall his skit of the motivational speaker who loves in a van down by the river????

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
For some reason, Will Farrell never appealed to me. On the other hand, Chris Farley, certainly did. Recall his skit of the motivational speaker who loves in a van down by the river????

I think Will Farrel is funny, but I also think that a lot of the movies he plays in just suck.