So after reading the Obama Tax plan......

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Marazion Analdouche, Oct 31, 2008.

1. D_Marazion Analdouche

I come across a part that talks about giving tax cuts to corporations that KEEP jobs here in the US.

Now the only thing I find funny about this, is that back in JUNE I stated a list of ideas I had regarding a tax plan in part. Which included, tax breaks for companies that kept jobs in the US, provided day care credit for working mothers and provide tution reimbursment etc.

I GOT LIT UP because I even suggested tax breaks for the "big evil comanies" by a certain someone that supports Obama.

So I'm expecting silence on this, OR expecting to hear "well you just happened to have on good idea and you're wrong on everything else".

It just tickled me so I thought I'd post it. I'll look for the thread/posts.

Edit, it was here. http://www.lpsg.org/92638-praying-for-obamas-defeat-4.html

So I guess Obama and I are both evil people for wanting to change the way we do business.

#1 D_Marazion Analdouche, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

I think it would take a hell of a tax cut to compensate for American wages, American labor laws, American environmental and worker safety regulations, etc., etc.

I'm all for you and Obama's tax plan in theory -- just doubtful that it will really impact corporations' bottom lines to the extent that they change their plans about outsourcing.

3. D_Marazion Analdouche

But it is a start. The only way you can convince companies to make any change at all is to bribe them. People are too lazy to boycott or make any real change on their own. People scream about Wal-Mart killing ma and pop stores but you still see lines upon lines at 3 in the morning of people buying screwdrivers, hot dog rolls and socks.

Can it change how everything is ran all at once, no. However, even it helps out 1% of the people and makes their lives easier or helps them get a job, I'm for it. This goes into other conversations on these boards, we need to come up with ways that money is passed directly to the people that need it. And by doing it at the workplace, it cuts out the government.

If a company offers daycare assitance to single mothers (or fathers), offers tutition plans, offers more than a standard 3% raise and keeps jobs in the US helps the families directly. These families don't have to fill out forms, wait for months for the aide they need, worry about having that aid shut off in 2 years etc. It all gets handed right back to them, then the companies that provide these services to their employees obtain tax breaks.

And before people get all upset. Yes I know this is only speaking to helping people that have work, obviously if you're not employed you won't see these benefits. I am not saying that this is the only way people should get assitance, I'm just talking about helping the current workforce. Unemployment is another conversation.

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

You got some good ideas there. At least your argument gives more incentive for people to go to work and not try to milk out the system. Unfortunately not all jobs, especially small business owners who may hire a few people, cannot offer all of these things. Big corporations like Wal-Mart can easily put things like daycare & tuition plans into play because they have the money to do it. At the same time, the local meat market run by Mr. & Mrs. Smith could not. Or at least to the same degree as the bigger corporation. On top of that, it's not a law for any job to do so.

These days, people have to take jobs wherever they can get them. And what's not to say that the cashier of a local store doesn't deserve or need to get the same kind of benefits as the same kind of cashier at a national department store chain? It sounds good in theory, but a lot of work would have to go into it to make things fair and balanced. If there was some kind of basic system in place, like for instance a nationalized healthcare system, it would be easier for all companies to place at least some level of basic care for everyone in the workforce. Big corporations could then up the ante with more lucrative plans that may cost a little more but provide even more assistance to entice people to apply for their jobs over the smaller ones.

5. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    You were right Wartrac. :biggrin1:

6. UncutAtlanta

UncutAtlanta Member

Albums:
    On another note- health insurance. I worked for a company years ago-yes they are still in business- that charged a percentage of your salary(about 3%) for health insurance. That way the dishwasher making $5 per hr paid the same % as a manager making $100K a year. A level field. Everyone had insurance. It wasn't a question if you could afford it. People knew how good they had it, worked harder, and stayed for years. If all companies followed this policy, more if not most would have health insurance.

7. D_Marazion Analdouche

Of course it isn't perfect, but the Ma and Pa stores that only have 3-4 employees are also more often than not have a net of 250K a year either. The list of companies and job types are almost endless to paint a scenerio for. The term "small business" however, goes way beyond the revenue of ma and pa stores. Here in the states 100 employees and under is still considered small business. That's not really a small operation.
    Holy Shit!:eek:

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

True that.
    I think the major point to focus on when dealing with small businesses is the money they gross yearly. Even though a company with just 100 employees is still a small business, chances are they're making a lot more than $250K. Case in point, my current job is in a company that has an employee base of about 200-250 people. It started as a 2 man operation over 20 years ago and has steadily grown over the years. The owners alone pocket at least 6-7 figures. But if we looked at the overall monetary assets the store makes yearly it would be a lot more. Technically it's a small business. But they're certainly doing better than the average Mom or Pop store.

To reference my idea about universal healthcare again... if in place, the mom & pop store would at least be able to offer their 3 or 4 employees a standard, default level of federalized health care. My place of employment, making more money than the average small business, would also have that option but could offer some other healthcare packages that would have other bonuses that the universal system didn't cover. This would give people who are looking for a job more incentive to go for the bigger companies because they would obviously want a plan that gives them more bang for the buck. But if they had to settle for a smaller, low paying job, they could at least be assured that the basics are covered. And really, that's all most people need at this point.

9. D_Marazion Analdouche

I still find it funny that I was labeled a right wing neo-con in other threads and called out in the thread I've linked, just to have Obama write some of his ideas in his tax plan.

I'm just curious of the person in question will actually speak up. This is the problem I have with people on the extreme right or left, you're all blind and consumed with being right, more than keeping your eyes open.

If your perception is that someone is on the other side of the political aisle from you, any idea they come up with is total garbage and must be self serving. You don't give it any thought and will not consider the notion that it may make a little sense.

This is why politics and government in this country are as useless as could be. Without a viable third party, there are no true checks and balances. BOTH major parties are guilty of this.

10. D_Marazion Analdouche

I'm guessing the person in question put me on ignore, or will claim that is the excuse from hiding.

Having the inability to admit when you're wrong causes you to lose all credibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted