So, for the scientific out there,

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Maybe there has a breakthrough ? Anyone know. There is only a rough view.

Turns out the "void" or vacuum of space isn't nothing. We've created the most perfect vacuums here on Earth--way better than anything in outer space--and discovered quantum particles popping out of and disappearing back into them.

Space isn't nothing. It's something but we don't know what.

Time began at the Big Bang. Asking what happened before time is like asking where you were before you were conceived. The answer is that you weren't.

Breakthroughs? Not really. Confirmation (meaning we actually measured it) of the Higgs bosun, expansion of the observable universe happening faster than originally thought and confirmation of gravity waves have been big in the last decade, but no breakthrough about what caused the Big Bang.

Pooh sang it best:

Why does a chicken, I don't know why.
Ask me a riddle and I'll reply,
Coddleston, Coddleston, Cottleston Pie.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
I though james randi { the high school dropout } and joe nickell { the english phd }
had solved all the riddles in the world

In any case if you don't want to move to canada it turns out elon musk of spacex and
tesla now plans to have one million people living on mars within one hundred years.
Its either going to be phoenix 2.0 or the free state of mars. This particular adventure makes
the recent election and unknown outcome look like a piece of cake.

But its not a bad idea. Who knows what will eventually happen to the big bang and all that.

We do know that at some point the sun will burn itself out and then the human race will
be fucked. Take a billion years or so. But what's a billion years and that day will arrive.

Then its like that movie intersteller which some say is so scientifically accurate they should
teach it in schools. In the movie , if i remember , farmers can't grow crops. So then its either

Light up the sun again.
Find others sources of heat and light
Go find other planets

A billion years will have past and who knows how much scientific progress there will be by then.

But it turns out the nearest planet next to pluto or whatever is 100 billion years or
so away. And lets say there are 50 billion people by then. Doesn't look good.

Its a long long time away but elon musk is pointing in the right direction. Its never too
early to start. In in the movie someone has created worm holes for time travel or
space travel. I wouldn't count on that. There aren't enough spaceships to transport
50 billion people.

Its inevitable. Don't blow this.

Holy crap....(excuse the use of the word "holy") It's all theory, until proved otherwise. Lets leave it up to the media polls, they can predict all :). I did not realise this thread was still active....

I have been in the back yard. I happened to look up at a certain time. I've seen satellites passing over from a young age, and some pretty large meteors hit our atmosphere.

I saw three objects moving at speed in formation moving from south to north. There was no time to call out...quick, look at this. They were gone in a matter of 10 seconds or less.

I remember it clearly, they left no trail in the atmosphere to be meteors. They kept going until I lost sight of them.

Do we have all the answers of the Universe in our few short years with our frail little spacecraft which fail often? No.

Do those that may have been here longer than we have the answers? Probably not, they are probably still searching for the answers too.

We are Juniors on the block. We know fuck all. Only a few hundred years ago, someone dared to say the Earth is not flat. Let's find out.......yet when you watch this

You have to wonder why it took us thousands of years to fly. To busy fighting each other over land and resources I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: alcor972

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
You have to wonder why it took us thousands of years to fly.

We had to learn the physics and maths of aeronautics. The Wright brothers were the first to do this. They designed and built the first heavier-than-air three-axis controlled airplane. The math said it would fly and it did.

I may be anthropomorphizing, but some of these albatrosses must be soaring just for the pleasure of it. We bipeds go out for a stroll, albatrosses go out for a soar.

Nice music. That's the second movement of Albinoni's Oboe Concerto in D minor Opus 9 No 2, though it sounds like trumpet has been substituted for oboe. A favorite.

Reactions: 185248 and alcor972

We had to learn the physics and maths of aeronautics. The Wright brothers were the first to do this. They designed and built the first heavier-than-air three-axis controlled airplane. The math said it would fly and it did.

I may be anthropomorphizing, but some of these albatrosses must be soaring just for the pleasure of it. We bipeds go out for a stroll, albatrosses go out for a soar.

Nice music. That's the second movement of Albinoni's Oboe Concerto in D minor Opus 9 No 2, though it sounds like trumpet has been substituted for oboe. A favorite.
It's a video which enthuses me to attempt powered paragliding. One day...not far here from paraglide heaven...again, one day.

Reactions: halcyondays

Good question. I think i'm gonna go with never. As in the universe will never technically end. I'm thinking that since everything in nature is cyclical and the universe is nature (in a few senses) then it will never end. It may morph, reshape or change in some way but maybe not end as in is no more. I mean if it weren't for us humans then the same could be said about the planet and everything on it but even then things never really end. It just changes, reshapes or morphs.

So yeah, think i'll go with never.
But he did not say end of the universe. Just end of the world. And all though things are ever morphing, fluid, and constantly transitional, morphic, does not negate the question.
I do think the problem with the question is that it was not more specific.
The end of the world for man kind? Life on Earth? The Earth eventually being destroyed or just drying up? Many ways to go with the question.

What are your predictions for the end of the Universe? I have a curious mind, am open to all theories. Not into the religious stuff.

There is the bubble, there is the shrinking, the never ending...

Don't worry about the beginning, no-one knows that. But who can predict the ending. We have the chance at a winner there :)
Ok my question for you is in what way do you mean?
End of the world for man kind? Life on Earth? The exploded image of our Earth floating through the universe as chunks?

Define your question alittle more please.:D

Reactions: 185248

End of the world for man kind? Life on Earth? The exploded image of our Earth floating through the universe as chunks?

I'll have to leave the answer for tonight, what I mentioned kind of, maybe touches on a few of my way out ideas, using a bit loose theory you could call it :)

As promised, it is night time :) I can only go back to my initial beginning of the thread. It's been said we know very little of our start on the journey.

It's been said Galaxies are accelerating not decelerating. This can either mean we are being pushed or pulled. Because physics tells us there needs to be a force for this to happen. The theories fly:) I just play stupidly with the theories.

Not knowing where we began never stopped us, or some of us to say the world is flat before we knew better, or the Sun circled the Earth. Yet it was those theories which pushed us to find out the truth.

So, it lead me to the thinking instead of playing and dwelling on the beginning, (of which there has been much fun), lets see who can come up with the best ending to the story.

I was going to write a science fiction book at one time about a faster than light scope, the scientist observed distant Galaxies further out from ours, just disappearing, vaporising. He came to the theory that.....well, that's my story. What is yours young Gelfling :)?

The Earth in chunks drifting through space, well I suppose it leaves some ending to our survival. it was a thread to entice imagination and humour, as well as personal belief on beginning and ending.

I'm just inclined to do this stuff now and then for purpose of distraction. Sharing of thought and ideas is learning . Without the feeling of being boxed in or that we reside in the covers of someone elses book, imagination belief or theory.

Reactions: alcor972

As promised, it is night time :) I can only go back to my initial beginning of the thread. It's been said we know very little of our start on the journey.

It's been said Galaxies are accelerating not decelerating. This can either mean we are being pushed or pulled. Because physics tells us there needs to be a force for this to happen. The theories fly:) I just play stupidly with the theories.

Not knowing where we began never stopped us, or some of us to say the world is flat before we knew better, or the Sun circled the Earth. Yet it was those theories which pushed us to find out the truth.

So, it lead me to the thinking instead of playing and dwelling on the beginning, (of which there has been much fun), lets see who can come up with the best ending to the story.

I was going to write a science fiction book at one time about a faster than light scope, the scientist observed distant Galaxies further out from ours, just disappearing, vaporising. He came to the theory that.....well, that's my story. What is yours young Gelfling :)?

The Earth in chunks drifting through space, well I suppose it leaves some ending to our survival. it was a thread to entice imagination and humour, as well as personal belief on beginning and ending.

I'm just inclined to do this stuff now and then for purpose of distraction. Sharing of thought and ideas is learning . Without the feeling of being boxed in or that we reside in the covers of someone elses book, imagination belief or theory.
I actually no theories for the world ending. There are many existing theories that seem reasonable. So my thoughts tend toward mans excessive disregard for the place we live and will inturn destroy our planet with the thoughts of money lining their pocket. To tge bitter end. Perhaps neucs. Perhaps pollution. But I see man far more likely to hinder Earths ability to support human life as well as many other life forms either wiping the slate clean and dead or hibernating until it can spring forth again.
But as far as universal, galactic, or literal planetary destruction I would go with some form of colission to big to stop. Sweeping through and pelting our planet to rubble.

I actually no theories for the world ending. There are many existing theories that seem reasonable. So my thoughts tend toward mans excessive disregard for the place we live and will inturn destroy our planet with the thoughts of money lining their pocket. To tge bitter end. Perhaps neucs. Perhaps pollution. But I see man far more likely to hinder Earths ability to support human life as well as many other life forms either wiping the slate clean and dead or hibernating until it can spring forth again.
But as far as universal, galactic, or literal planetary destruction I would go with some form of colission to big to stop. Sweeping through and pelting our planet to rubble.

Yes, it's been written about enough and the evidence is definitely there about being pelted from out there. When Worlds Collide was one of my fave science fiction movies in the early days. Along with Earth vs The Flying Saucers :). The thing about our pollution is it's just not confined to the Earth, we have that much of it circling the planet, hundreds of thousands of pieces they can't track that at any time could cause a blanket which would make it impossible to launch anything for hundreds of years.

My we are a dark bunch hey :) :). The world is a beautiful place, it's a shame we have to continually be vigilant on those in it for the $'s only. Not realising that they need to breath the air and drink the same water. This is why litterbugs are on my top 5 most wanted :)

Reactions: Gelflingfay

Yes, it's been written about enough and the evidence is definitely there about being pelted from out there. When Worlds Collide was one of my fave science fiction movies in the early days. Along with Earth vs The Flying Saucers :). The thing about our pollution is it's just not confined to the Earth, we have that much of it circling the planet, hundreds of thousands of pieces they can't track that at any time could cause a blanket which would make it impossible to launch anything for hundreds of years.

My we are a dark bunch hey :) :). The world is a beautiful place, it's a shame we have to continually be vigilant on those in it for the $'s only. Not realising that they need to breath the air and drink the same water. This is why litterbugs are on my top 5 most wanted :)
I cannot tell you how often I grumble about the amount of space trash and satellites floating through space that we alone put out there. It is always a night time ramble when I see them and even though I understand that they help us and all of the wonder and benefits but that does not make them trash when they are just left up there to float after they served their purpose.
Lol. Sorry. Ugh. Hahaa.

I cannot tell you how often I grumble about the amount of space trash and satellites floating through space that we alone put out there. It is always a night time ramble when I see them and even though I understand that they help us and all of the wonder and benefits but that does not make them trash when they are just left up there to float after they served their purpose.
Lol. Sorry. Ugh. Hahaa.

It's just that they are fragile, paper thin, lightweight and vulnerable. They support a fragile communication, defence and " give me directions" (satnav) network for fragile people living on a fragile planet.

If we lose them hospitals will become overcrowded, and that will be just from people walking and driving into walls after losing their navman.:confused:.. anyway, time to go to work...Have a good one.

Like I said I understand the benifits of them all. I am talking about the ones they no longer use that just float there. Lol. Anyway have fun being a responsible adult! ☺

Like I said I understand the benifits of them all. I am talking about the ones they no longer use that just float there. Lol. Anyway have fun being a responsible adult! ☺
Have placed the theory of Multi Universes out there..............ages ago. Yet, you know. I did not posses a degree.

Reactions: Gelflingfay
D

deleted1030587

I think eventually even matter will decay, leaving no arrow of time.

The final objects being super massive black holes which shrink and 'pop' with the force of a cannon shell exploding - which could be detectable in the early conditions of this universe, if there is a cycle. Roger Penrose's version of the cyclical model describes this. The universe starting off in an orderly fashion with entropy increasing. So, for the starting conditions to be replicated and for there to be a new 'bang' you need entropy to fall away, which would happen if matter decays and time is no longer a factor.

This is a few years old, and unlikely to be true (as he concedes), but there are some very interesting ideas present within. Penrose discusses it for 40 minutes here. He's a very interesting speaker. I've drifted away from physics and astronomy in the last few years, need to get back into it:

If a light year travels about 6 Trillion miles in one Earth year, and the universe is still expanding or accelerating apart. I'm assuming that it would take light longer to reach us traveling the speed of light to cross the distance because of that...so I reckon it means what our telescopes are viewing now of distant galaxies etc, are piccies from billions of years or more ago.

Gravity would come into play too, when it bends and slows light passing a mass.

Old news is better than no news I spose.

There's another theory that the Universe is still being created, that it is an ongoing event.