So, for the scientific out there,

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
We presume that the speed of light and time are measurable constants. If we have learnt anything in the last generation, it should be to question assumptions.

The current theory is that, as Euclid predicted, the universe is infinite, and becoming more infinite. Beyond this escalating infinity there are a further infinite number of escalating infinite universes.

It's turtles all the way down.

And yes, there is a God who sent prophets to explain everything we ever needed to know when most people were illiterate.

Reactions: 185248

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
We presume that the speed of light and time are measurable constants. If we have learnt anything in the last generation, it should be to question assumptions.

So far as we have measured it the speed of light IS constant in a given medium but may change speed as it passes from one medium to the next. For example passing through a glass prism splits white light into it's component colors because the speed of component frequencies are slowed to different speeds. The same happens when sunlight passes through raindrops creating a rainbow. Same for the Moon during a total lunar eclipse because the Earth's atmosphere has refracted away all but the red, some of which strikes the Moon in shadow giving it a reddish tint.

Time as we have measured it is not constant everywhere. Time runs slower when closer to a massive object--reaching zero at the event horizon of a black hole--and faster when further away. Time also slows with velocity, reaching zero at the speed of light.

To date we have no direct evidence of a multiverse or of a god.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
So far as we have measured it the speed of light IS constant in a given medium but may change speed as it passes from one medium to the next. For example passing through a glass prism splits white light into it's component colors because the speed of component frequencies are slowed to different speeds. The same happens when sunlight passes through raindrops creating a rainbow. Same for the Moon during a total lunar eclipse because the Earth's atmosphere has refracted away all but the red, some of which strikes the Moon in shadow giving it a reddish tint.

Time as we have measured it is not constant everywhere. Time runs slower when closer to a massive object--reaching zero at the event horizon of a black hole--and faster when further away. Time also slows with velocity, reaching zero at the speed of light.

To date we have no direct evidence of a multiverse or of a god.

With all due respect, I think you are missing the humour and tongue in cheekiness in my post.

Reactions: halcyondays

The current theory is that, as Euclid predicted, the universe is infinite, and becoming more infinite. Beyond this escalating infinity there are a further infinite number of escalating infinite universes.

It's turtles all the way down.

And yes, there is a God who sent prophets to explain everything we ever needed to know when most people were illiterate.
Presumption, assumption. What is left? Either we assume or presume.

My presumption :) Is that when we hit the wall doing near or above light speed I won't be driving :)

And then when we are shot out of the Anus of the Dark again, you won't remember I said that..............yet, you may perceive a very distant recollection.............:)

So, if the bum is shooting a Universe out one way, surely the bum must accelerate in the opposite direction..........unless it hoots out another universe in the opposite direction, or maybe 4....since we here gather our directions by North, East, West, South.

For an entity to spew forth a Universe and stay stable in a Vacuum it would need to create 4 Universes, or multiple in multiple directions.

I still reckon it took two, you can't have a conflict without two, if it's only one then it has to be unstable........................like Earth, we live on an unstable planet, yet expect everything on it to thrive in stability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Drifterwood

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Presumption, assumption. What is left? Either we assume or presume.

My presumption :) Is that when we hit the wall doing near or above light speed I won't be driving :)

And then when we are shot out of the Anus of the Dark again, you won't remember I said that..............yet, you may perceive a very distant recollection.............:)

Technically, I think time stops at light speed, so I'm not sure when you plan to hit that wall. Might explain those bruises I don't recall getting.

Technically, I think time stops at light speed, so I'm not sure when you plan to hit that wall. Might explain those bruises I don't recall getting.

Time is a distance thing. A time line. Except it is not a straight line. Light can be slowed down through Gravity of Galaxies, or Planets.
If it can be bent or slowed, which has been proved it can, it can be sped up.

Your mind Drift operates on electricity. It sparks at the speed of light. Yet it is slowed by Alcohol. Why?

Yet your mind can be sped up as well. It goes delusional.

I take no drugs, I just like hearing peoples comments on experience.

The body heart and mind operate on light speed communication. We are able to slow it down, when needed, or speed it up when needed for human survival. We charge the heart with light speed paddles, the mind from insanity to sanity with electric shock therapy......

I believe, and have discussed earlier with Hal...:)...the human mind with it's few percent has the ability to access much more.

There is a key there somewhere.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

The wall you hit at the speed of light was that your mass became infinite--greater than the entire universe. So you're gonna be sore for a while. ;)

Reactions: Drifterwood

marinera

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Nothing can go over light speed, there isn't enough energy in the whole universe to accelerate an atom to light speed.

If you travel at light speed, time stops. If you travel faster, times goes back.

Nothing can go over light speed, there isn't enough energy in the whole universe to accelerate an atom to light speed.

If you travel at light speed, time stops. If you travel faster, times goes back.

Light travels at the speed of light. So we would be in constant darkness then because no light would reach us as it has stopped in time?

marinera

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Light travels at the speed of light. So we would be in constant darkness then because no light would reach us as it has stopped in time?
If time has stopped, we are in lightness.

Neverthless, you are somewhat right, there is a mistake in how I formulated the thought: it's not for you that are traveling that time stops, but for an observer on another inertial system : say he is on earth, you are traveling at light speed; if he reads your clockwork, he will always see the same time; for you, the time has no changed velocity because the clockwork is in your same inertial system.

Well, at least I think so. :D

If time has stopped, we are in lightness.

Neverthless, you are somewhat right, there is a mistake in how I formulated the thought: it's not for you that are traveling that time stops, but for an observer on another inertial system : say he is on earth, you are traveling at light speed; if he reads your clockwork, he will always see the same time; for you, the time has no changed velocity because the clockwork is in your same inertial system.

Well, at least I think so. :D
Yes I understand the theory :) If I were able to hitch a ride on a photon, I would travel at light speed, time would not change. If I went faster than light I would not go backward, it would go dark, unless there was a way to speed up light. Which there probably never will be.

But hey, where would science or fiction be without imagining the impossible. :)

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ah but a photon has zero mass, which is why it can travel at light speed. Zero mass means no time dilation.

Ah but a photon has zero mass, which is why it can travel at light speed. Zero mass means no time dilation.
Light can be slowed down by gravitational forces, so it must have some effect on the energy of the photon. You can't really weigh energy I spose, but it still seems to be affected by gravity, and we really don't understand all there is to know about gravity either.

Light, energy is produced by an object of mass, we harness, capture the energy, use it for power, to view the universe. Maybe one day someone will come up with a way to reform the energy back to mass,( but that would be getting into sf with teleporters and the like I spose :) ). We use light now to piggy back data on, so, who knows.

It's curious though, because photons are able to escape the gravitational mass which created them at the speed of light. I suppose though it could be said the photons are fully charged...but how do you charge something with energy that has no mass?