So... God

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't accept the opening premise that god exists.

If you accept this premise you can manufacture all sorts of belief systems - a bit like math theories.

If you don't accept the premise, the experience of reason is quite different and is not constantly brought back by attempts to prove god's exitence.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
I don't accept the opening premise that god exists.

If you accept this premise you can manufacture all sorts of belief systems - a bit like math theories.

If you don't accept the premise, the experience of reason is quite different and is not constantly brought back by attempts to prove god's exitence.

The opening premise is whether a creator doesn't exist.
or
The opening premise is whether a creator need not exist.

What we want to grab a hold of is if belief and non-belief are equal positions based on faith and that only the agnostic holds the rational, empirical position.

Please read the thread, somewhere from halfway on.:smile:

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had that discussion with JustAsking six months ago. I do not think that atheism exists because it is a concept relative to theism which I also do not believe in. Can you have 2 if you don't accept the existence of 1?

Try to think of a mind unencumbered by the original premise of the existence or being of godness.

And for me it is not a question of therefore being an agnostic - I don't accept either the premise or the concept.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
I had that discussion with JustAsking six months ago. I do not think that atheism exists because it is a concept relative to theism which I also do not believe in. Can you have 2 if you don't accept the existence of 1?

Try to think of a mind unencumbered by the original premise of the existence or being of godness.

And for me it is not a question of therefore being an agnostic - I don't accept either the premise or the concept.

I'm trying to abstract the idea of a Christian/Moslem/Hindu/Jewish GOD right out of the discussion.

In term of computer programming I'm talking about a 'base class' Creator with no defined methods or properties other than an 'abstract' creator function that yet need not be defined only that it has a contract requiring implementation.

Everything in my life experience indicates things are created, that there is a creation process. Can you name anything that doesn't have a creation process?

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
I

Well you can't because you already know of this concept you just mentioned it. You are encumbered, now you must think about it and you can't undo it.

Now possibly and I don't know for sure but maybe an unborn/newborn child is unencumbered and maybe some amazonian tribes at one time. But no I can't think of anyone (mind) capable of being unencumbered.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I walk into a room, the first of a seemingly infinite series of interconnected rooms.

There are three people.

The first says "I believe in god". He defines his god and its nature based upon his understanding of his holy scriptures.

The second person says "I don't believe in your god", and gives his reasons.

The third says "I am not sure whether to believe in your god or not."

I pass through the 3000+ rooms in which the same discussion takes place with the different sects of christianity being represented. Then I pass through the rooms in which all the sects of the worlds religions are having the same discussion.

I do wonder at this point whether the concept of godness isn't the same for all of them, but they don't accept this.

Finally I walk into a room and the first person says "I believe in Goodness" rather than god.

I then walk through all the rooms in which all the abstractions I can and can't think of are discussed.

Is there an end or an exit? No - you are stuck inside your mind until you cease to be. Some though choose to stay in a room - I have not. Some build houses from a choice of the various rooms. Some build hotels, towns, cities, even countries and empires. I, so far, have decided to float outside these rooms.

What happens when you cease to be? - I do not know, but it does not bother me.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
I walk into a room, the first of a seemingly infinite series of interconnected rooms.

You're not even trying at this point. Did you cut and paste that from the other thread. Because here the starting premises are different. We aren't even trying to personify this base creator class.

An argument has been made for the idea that everything in your life experience requires a creation process and so a creator be it intelligent or not. Blah, Blah, blah... I'm bored.

I can see that you really are reallying on a faith at this point because... well just because when I converse with a fundamentalist I get his dogma too :)

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No problem Spike - I hadn't realised that I was supposed to stay in the one place.

I shall treasure being thought of and considered a fundamentalist :smile: .

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
No problem Spike - I hadn't realised that I was supposed to stay in the one place.

I shall treasure being thought of and considered a fundamentalist :smile: .

I'm trying to work out this idea and everybody seems to be confusing it with something that already went by. It may be so, I'm just to dense not to get it.

G'dnite Lordy. (you fundie you)

Peace
Spiker :)

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

There are three people.

The first says "I believe in god". He defines his god and its nature based upon his understanding of his holy scriptures.

The second person says "I don't believe in your god", and gives his reasons.

The third says "I am not sure whether to believe in your god or not."

I pass through the 3000+ rooms in which the same discussion takes place with the different sects of christianity being represented. Then I pass through the rooms in which all the sects of the worlds religions are having the same discussion.

I do wonder at this point whether the concept of godness isn't the same for all of them, but they don't accept this.

Finally I walk into a room and the first person says "I believe in Goodness" rather than god.

I then walk through all the rooms in which all the abstractions I can and can't think of are discussed.

Is there an end or an exit? No - you are stuck inside your mind until you cease to be. Some though choose to stay in a room - I have not. Some build houses from a choice of the various rooms. Some build hotels, towns, cities, even countries and empires. I, so far, have decided to float outside these rooms.

What happens when you cease to be? - I do not know, but it does not bother me.

Thank you, take a bow!

It's just simpler in everyday life to say "I don't believe in God" rather than "I don't believe in your God".

This has not been an instant realisation for me, but the result of years worth of study and involvement with Christianity. Just like in a court hearing, there are often not irrefutable facts from which to draw conclusions, but (in my opinion) there IS enough evidence with words being changed through translations, whole books being eliminated, the very nature of the divinity of Jesus being decided upon by a council three hundred-plus years after his death- well, there's enough evidence of the intention of MAN here to give serious pause.

Then there's the evidence of how Christianity has been applied. Had it not been for one holy war after another, and being among the largest causes for discrimination, hipocrisy and hatred, I might try harder to see the benefit. It seems it only makes people feel better about themselves by feeling badly toward others. It's probably great if you're not a nigger, fag or woman, or a combination of those ungainly categories. Most religions make it very comfortable to be a MAN in the majority race of where it's practised.

Spiker, I fail to understand why you seem so determined to force the issue that not believing in a creator requires a faith. That seems an absurdity. Oh, I understand on a verbal level that you are trying to prove opposites, but words are not numbers, and direct opposites just aren't true verbally. When most people say "God", they are referring to a personification that has been familiarised through a Holy text. Their God has humanesque traits, desires, feelings, opinions and thoughts. That whole concept I find easily dismissable. Now, if you're talking about "the set of all things about the creation of our world about which we do not know as of yet" and you're calling that God, then obviously, I couldn't disagree with that. To abstract it further, if you are opining that there is an individual force that is beholden to natural law which caused the creation of the planet, then I would say I'm adopting a wait-and-see attitude. The reason you are frustrated is that no one is dumb enough to take your bait. You can't force people to say something they don't believe, just so you can shoot down their beliefs, and that's what you are trying to do.

You can't prove a negative- you never can. Absence of proof is still not proof of absence, but until there is tangible evidence of a creator, AND an agreement among "believers" about what exactly it is they believe in, I see no reason to identify myself as part of a group-think for personal comfort.
That is how I see religions- all of them. They provide people with a set of directions on how to live life "right". It's scary to take a trip without a map, so I understand the reason why this concept is so popular, but literally thousands of religions have existed before, and I find it extremely audacious of people who, just because THEY are living NOW, think that their beliefs in the supernatural are the really, really REAL truth, but everyone else's were just stories. Nigga, please.

Take fables. They usually contain an element of truth, that is to say a moral truth. The characters aren't important, but the moral of the story is. I feel the same way about the Bible. Jesus lived in a time where some fairly pronounced corruptions had infiltrated the church, and he was mad about it. He was mad enough to speak out, and tell people "We can do better". Hundreds of years later, it became convenient for organised fucktards to flesh out the story, and get their stories straight once and for all, for all of posterity. Was Jesus a Supreme Being? Depends on what you mean. I doubt he had "supernatural powers" any more than did Gandhi, Martin Luther, Dr. Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, Galileo, DaVinci, Einstein, or any of the other great names we know from History.
Evidence is all around me. I know thousands of people, and none of them can turn water into wine without going through a process. However, I know a tiny bit about the Jewish faith (not much), and I understand what apocalyptic writing is, and how allegory was used throught their history to make a point.

When people choose to eliminate the facts of how and why these stories were written, in favor of the current opinion- THAT'S an absurdity, and I simply refuse to participate. If people have so little respect for their own faith that they don't even bother to investigate and find out even the very basics about how their religion came to be, then they certainly deserve no respect from me. I respect someone's rights to hold whatever opinion they choose, but if they expect me to respect their actual opinions, well all I can say is- I won't care more about your faith than you do.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Anthropomorphic is a good word MZ.

Maybe polytheistic systems are more abstract than montheistic ones. They attempt to explain the human condition within the cosmos with "divine" representations. One of my favourites is Shiva.

Monotheists can't really accept one god as creator and abstract - he must be real and if he is real he must be right, omniscient and omnipotent. He can not be abstract because abstract by its nature is not empirically defineable in reality. It remains a concept and an idea. Early christians really struggled trying to marry christianity with Plotinus and Plato.

But Christians struggle on with abstract confusions - why the saints and angels if god is omnipotent? Deep down I think people haven't got rid of the need for abstract representations.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Abstractions are very convenient- not at all like actual facts, or people! This is how we have successfully begun a "war on terror" without defining who this "terror" is. That this has occured simultaneously with a massive return to religious fundamentalism is no accident. Once you accept one set of abstractions as reality, it paves the way to accept others. It makes me sad.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
You guys keep talking around a point in an effort to not consider the fact that your disbelief/atheism is in point of fact a leap of faith as much as any other religion, you just don't have to remember any 'myth' stories.

The only rationally empiric actor here is the agnostic.

So take your perceived intellectual superiority that the disbeliever finds solace in and pack it away up in your attic. :)

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It is interesting how people react when they don't understand something.

Here's title for George Dubya's autobiography MZ - Astractions and Distractions.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Since this is getting too long, I will leave the most powerful message regarding the divinity of natural processes until another posting. It comes from the birth, life, and death of Jesus.

I would really like to hear about this. If you get to this please pop a link into a pm for me so I don't have to keep checking in. Thanks :)

Spiker

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ultimately, however, Job is able to provide himself with the answer to his own question. Introspectively, he reveals that all his problems would have been solved if there existed a "Daysman" (read: Intercessor) who could help him in his time of travail.

To modern Christians, that should encourage them to help one another ... or at the very least pray.
GoneA,
This is very interesting, but I am not sure I am getting it. Could you say more about this?

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Isn't reserving judgement what an agnostic is doing?
It is also what the scientist does, until evidence is presented and a hypothesis is formulated which predicts the evidence. It is much more than just shrugging one's shoulders. It is a discipline. One can come up with any number of creative explanations for a natural phenomenon, but a scientists is not interested in them until they are shown to have considerable predictive power in the light of substantial evidence.