So If You Adopted Your Less Than Desired Dog..

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ok I have the chance to adopt this breed of dog I love...and I've been thru a few near match ups w/rescue. This dog sounds ideal. he's about 4-5 yrs old. A hair more than I wanted. Nonethe less he comes with every person raving about him. Problem: I heard he had a problem w/seizures tho since he's been in foster care and rescue he hasn't had any. maybe it was a diet thing.
I'm going thru a thing where I want a pooch and only this breed and looking thru rescue is taking forever. The other problem is everytime I or they don't think it';s a match I feel like an ashole for not wanting a pooch w/whaever problem. I'm told w/this particular dog, that I think I really like, that if he had a seizure it would be no big deal, you just have to ride it out and then he's ok when it's over. I really like him but would I be getting in over in my head? Are they telling me truth about getting over seizures and maybe he wouldn't even have them if what they say about his diet is tru. I just want a pooch and ant to get a non breeder one that needs a home.
Any comments?

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you really like the dog and has the personality you like, why not go for it. If it was me I would want my vet to check him out. Tell the vet about the seizures to make sure that you know what to expect and can handle it.

I had a rescue dog for a short period of time. Unfortunately it didn't work out because Gus (Basset Hound) has separation issues. When I went to work he barked and cried and since I live in an apartment I got complaints. I had asked about Gus being left alone for the day and they said it wouldn't be a problem. He was the sweetest most loving dog and I hated to have to give him back but it wasn't fare to him.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You are a dog lover, you want/need a dog in your life. Why would you want to adopt an unhealthy dog?:confused: What if he has a seizure when you are at work and hits his cute little head on the leg of your mahogany coffee table? He could have a concussion or worse by the time you got home.

I understand that all rescue animals need homes and to be loved; but you have to protect your heart as well. Cause in the back of your mind you will always be thinking, "is this the day a seizure kills him?":frown1: You should not feel like an asshole. The rescue organizations I was familiar with in Jersey could be just as picky about forever homes as you think you are being. Sometimes I would wonder if they really wanted these animals to find homes at all.:redface: :irked:

Ok I have the chance to adopt this breed of dog I love...and I've been thru a few near match ups w/rescue. This dog sounds ideal. he's about 4-5 yrs old. A hair more than I wanted. Nonethe less he comes with every person raving about him. Problem: I heard he had a problem w/seizures tho since he's been in foster care and rescue he hasn't had any. maybe it was a diet thing.
I'm going thru a thing where I want a pooch and only this breed and looking thru rescue is taking forever. The other problem is everytime I or they don't think it';s a match I feel like an ashole for not wanting a pooch w/whaever problem. I'm told w/this particular dog, that I think I really like, that if he had a seizure it would be no big deal, you just have to ride it out and then he's ok when it's over. I really like him but would I be getting in over in my head? Are they telling me truth about getting over seizures and maybe he wouldn't even have them if what they say about his diet is tru.
I just want a pooch and ant to get a non breeder one that needs a home.
Any dog is a non-breeder if you get it fixed. :rolleyes: Or did you mean you prefer a male over a female? :confused:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
NJQT as described from the rescue person this dog hasn't even had a seizure since being in foster care. I want o have this dog badly but a)they say when it does happen you just have to let the dog go thru it and then it's over. My worry is and it maybe shouldn't be a worry since they said the dog hasn't had a seizure on a different diet, was yes, if I wasn't home, or if it happened crossing a street, tho obv, since the pooch is still alive prob these concerns are not valid? He'sstill alive and he's a 5 yr old dog that needs a home and I want this specific breed and shouldn't we hook up? Am rushing and might find another? I'm not looking for a cookie cutter pooch

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Miniature poodles are susceptible to seizure symptoms and other medical problems. You just want to make sure that the shelter and an advising vet can give tips about seizures, seizure prevention, what to do in the event of, etc. Really interested to see if diet makes a difference. Check it out! Truth told, a dog that has a seizure will go through fits for a moment or two and then recover. Just let them do their thing and be reassuring and comforting when the dog comes out of it. (If you've ever had a seizure, you can sympathize.)

Dogs are so precious and cool and they make great companions. Humans don't come without their side effects or health issues. Pets shouldn't be restricted strictly because of that.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
You are a dog lover, you want/need a dog in your life. Why would you want to adopt an unhealthy dog?:confused: What if he has a seizure when you are at work and hits his cute little head on the leg of your mahogany coffee table? He could have a concussion or worse by the time you got home.

I understand that all rescue animals need homes and to be loved; but you have to protect your heart as well. Cause in the back of your mind you will always be thinking, "is this the day a seizure kills him?":frown1: You should not feel like an asshole. The rescue organizations I was familiar with in Jersey could be just as picky about forever homes as you think you are being. Sometimes I would wonder if they really wanted these animals to find homes at all.:redface: :irked:

I'm going thru a thing where I want a pooch and only this breed and looking thru rescue is taking forever. The other problem is everytime I or they don't think it';s a match I feel like an ashole for not wanting a pooch w/whaever problem. I'm told w/this particular dog, that I think I really like, that if he had a seizure it would be no big deal, you just have to ride it out and then he's ok when it's over. I really like him but would I be getting in over in my head? Are they telling me truth about getting over seizures and maybe he wouldn't even have them if what they say about his diet is tru. Any dog is a non-breeder if you get it fixed. :rolleyes: Or did you mean you prefer a male over a female? :confused:

Seizure won't usually kill a dog NJ.
What type of seizure is it Hells? Is he on phenobarb for the seizures?
I have never personally seen a case where diet is what causes the
problem such as seizures. You should talk to Pitbull he is more knowledgeable about this type of problem than anyone here imo.
Typically you just lay the dog down and let him have the seizure
it shouldn't be that big a deal for you and if he's on med's they will occur very infrequently. I have had friends who's dog was born with epilepsy
and who tended to have just a couple of incidents per month {1 or 2}
and I took care of her boy without any problems at all.
When he had his first seizure at my house I was scared but I layed him down as she told me to do and he just rode it out.
It wasn't as bad as I had imagined it to be!
Take this dog, you are the perfect guy for this dog because
you are informed knowledgeable about the breed and you really
want to have a companion in your life at this time.
You will be a great dad/Mom! :07:
C.B.:saevil:

Yeah, one of my teachers at Millbrook had a dog with epilepsy and Mr. Post announced one day in assembly that if we saw Puddhi having a seizure to just let him have it, don't touch him when he's having one, and he'll get over it in a minute or two. It was pretty simple. Otherwise Puddhi was his normal self and lived a long and happy life. One of my fellow students made his seizures into a punk dance that consisted of flopping on your back and waving your arms and legs madly. It was fun everytime Blinky shouted, "Do Puddhi!," during a concert. Mr. Post even had to laugh at it.

I guess the thing is it wasn't a big deal and nobody ever felt afraid or less loving toward the dog because of his seizures and he lived in a home with very small children who weren't segregated from the dog at all. All the dogs on campus were much loved and Millbrook, being a very animal-oriented place, had free range of the school wandering where they liked, in and out of classrooms and dorms. Puddhi was no exception before or after his diagnosis. It really made very little difference in his life.

It seems to me that despite the fact this dog may not be in perfect health, that he needs a loving home with someone who is willing to tolerate his imperfections as he will doubtless tolerate yours. The seizures may be rare and controllable with medication. As you've said, in every other way this dog is perfect for you and he's well-trained and friendly to strangers. That's a big asset for a city dog and I don't see the seizures as being a deal breaker to get such a great animal. Talk to your vet about it and read-up on canine epilepsy and see what it's like.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Yeah, totally agree that you should get the dog. Sounds like more of us have had encounters with dogs having seizure problems that end up being non-life-threatening, especially if treated with medication. Your dog can live a solid, healthy life and you seem like you can really give it the love and attention it needs, dude.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Does everyone from New Jersy think this way? :confused:

You are so far off on this.
What advice do you give to people who want to adopt a child?
At least a child is not "put to sleep" when he or she doesn't find a home. :eek:

Thousands of epileptic dogs and epileptic people live perfectly normal lives with medication.

HellsKitchenMan should be applauded and encouraged.

:arms:

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
You just have to let the dog go through it's seizure. I think you can get medicated to lessen the number of times it has one. I would jump at the chance to a adopt a dog I like.

cockneedy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
get the dog, i've had two rescue dogs and they show up with issues but they really just need the love and security you provide. give him time to adjust as it will take him time to trust that this is his home. good luck!

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I would suggest, not to be put off by these seizures. I had a kelpie/cattledog cross that had infrequent seizures (one every six to twelve months or less). The first time was quite alarming, but he always recovered quickly. The vet said that if they became more frequent he could prescribe medication. He never required medication and we had a long and loving relationship.

Many rescue centres will allow you to take a dog home for a few days (on trial). Very quickly you will be able to tell if you have the potential to develop a bond. If not, don't feel guilty and keep searching.

Do you just want a dog as svelte and potentially problematic as you are?

LMAO - could be the perfect match!

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had an epileptic dog. He was on phenobarb and potassium bromate and after we got him medicated he never had a seizure again. Eventually we took him off the drugs and still, no seizures. If this dog has been doing well, go in know that he may need to be on an anticonvulsant, but by all means get him

Dogs with health problems rarely get adopted. If you have the time, money, and love in your heart to take in one who is less than 100%, you're doing a great favor to the dog and its rescue group. It's a good thing to do.

My mom has a dog who was systematically rejected by potential owners because he had a scar down the length of his back. I told her to take him because he had the best temperament of the dogs in the shelter, and would fit her lifestyle. She gave in, and she loves him to death. His scar also started to grow hair on it and it's very hard to see if you didn't know it was there. To think people gave up an "imperfect" dog that was so wonderful and sweet.