So I'm planning on coming out to my parents next month...

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
THANKs fr yr sharing D22, appreciate the reading of this, i am always incredulous re family dynamics, and how different parents handle / not handle, there siblings coming out to them

ruggerkit28

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nice letter, not sure that I could have written one so well.

However, I do wonder if you are a bit too apologetic? Could you be a bit more aggressive, in that you are looking forwards to a good life, that you will be nuch happier person with family and old firiends now you will not be living a false life?

D_James Fenimore Pooper

Experimental Member
Media
I've known since I was a teenager, but having just turned 30 a few months ago, I can't take hiding it anymore, lying to people, or repressing myself. I only started becoming sexually active with men about 2 years ago, so I have been a late bloomer when it comes to that.

My dad is a minister, and is extremely homophobic and I think he has mental issues (undiagnosed) so I know this isn't going to go over well with him. My mom is a bit more understanding, but has her moments too. I already came out to my brother who has been awesome and understanding, and a few friends. I have already written the letter I plan on sending to them telling them what I've been going through, the suicidal thoughts, that e being gay is not their fault, and how much I've isolated myself from them over the past few years.

It's taken months of therapy, PFLAG meetings, and support to get to where I am now, and while I know it might not go over well (I KNOW it won't go over well with several members of my extended family, but they get on my nerves anyhow), my peace of mind is a lot more important than what other people think.

For those of you who have came out to your parents, how did you do it? I'm sending a letter because a telephone conversation announcing this would involve a lot of yelling and cursing. I'd rather cover my bases before the telephone call I know I'm going to get after.

The next people I plan to tell will be my closest straight male friends. I k ow I'll have to reitierate to them that I wouldn't do anything to them to compromise our friendship but if we no longer speak, I've made my peace with it.

Knowing my dad, he'll try to find a woman to hook me up with or try to find someone to "save" me, but my parents live 450 miles away, and I'm financially independent, so it's easier to tell them to mind their business, but I'm not ready for a personal confrotation quite yet. For those of you with really controlling, meddling parents, how did you deal with the fallout?

I've never been so terrified to do something in my life, but I know it has to be done for the sake of my sanity. Honestly, I think they have their suspicions, so I think this will be a huge weight off of everyone's shoulders once all is said and done.

For those of you who have gone through this, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

itgetsbetterproject's Channel - YouTube