So, it turns out I was right. (RIAA)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

SimplyHung: Yesterday, I caught wind of various filesharing servers hitting the RIAA back for the excessive lawsuits. Their ammo for the counterattack? The fact that the RIAA is using old versions of their software to illegally spy on their users (so to speak) and obtain personal information on them.
    Silly hackers! That's not your money.

2. jonb

Gold Member

Actually, the term used for pirates is warez d00dz, or (even more derogatory) warez kiddies. Spies, OTOH, are called crackers.

3. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: So when is RIAA going to stop suing people? I need to know this so I know whether or not I can reinstall Kazaa!

4. Imported

Gold Member

SimplyHung: [quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1064710888;start=0#2 date=09/29/03 at 01:31:55]So when is RIAA going to stop suing people? I need to know this so I know whether or not I can reinstall Kazaa![/quote]

My guess is either when it's brought up that their actions are teetering over the precipice of going against the 4th Amendment, or when they're put on the spot and can't justify $10,000 per track. I wouldn't be surprised if they intend to keep that money for themselves, none for the artists, either. But that's just a hunch.

5. Imported

Gold Member

Longhornjok: Gig, I wouldn't count on the courts okaying computer users violating copyright laws any time soon. Other than the one court decision that said certain software companies couldn't be sued because some users of their programs were breaking the law, not one court decision has gone against the RIAA. I totally disagree with their methods, and I think they brought a lot of this on themselves by reneging on their promise a decade ago to lower cd prices, but I am very skeptical that any branch of the judiciary is going to say it's ok to swap copyrighted material via enormous file-sharing servers. I had a friend just this week in school in NC whose dorm-room computer connection was shut down by the university and he has to appear before a review board to respond.

6. Imported

Gold Member

SpeedoGuy: [quote author=Longhornjok link=board=99;num=1064710888;start=0#4 date=09/29/03 at 19:16:57]I had a friend just this week in school in NC whose dorm-room computer connection was shut down by the university and he has to appear before a review board to respond.[/quote]

Damn! That will shut down file sharing at colleges just as fast as threats of lawsuits ever did. RIAA might not have to threaten lawsuits if this kind of enforcement is already being pursued.

SG

Draft saved Draft deleted