So we're approaching the last year of an amazing decade.

D_Polyxena Pasties

Just Browsing
Media
Opinion Poll; Worst trends of the past ten years (clothing/fashion , food, pop culture etc) 1999 - 2009 What trend should be gone for 2010? ie; crocks, shutter shades and botox. :) I'd love to hear some of yours

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Opinion Poll; Worst trends of the past ten years (clothing/fashion , food, pop culture etc) 1999 - 2009 What trend should be gone for 2010?

Homophobia
Stretch skinny jeans
Crocs
Anal bleaching
Vaginal Rejuvenation
Pomegranate cocktails
Acai juice cocktails
Emo music and culture
Zone diet
Destination surgery
Katie Couric will finally stop referring to 2000-2009 as the aughts,
:cool:

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't follow trends, so I have to say to each their own if it makes them happy. If it does not touch me or have a negative impact on humankind I really don't care. I do wish the magazines would stop doing "What's In And What's Out." editorials but I can't say that they have anything to do with the last decade really. In terms of the last decade I wish the people who have lost their way would stop writing their victim memoirs to vindicate themselves.
So... I wore tie dye shirts protesting the Vietnam war in the 60's
I had a silver lame jumpsuit in the 70's
I had the big shoulder pads in the 80's
I grew up and found my own way in the 90's but all of the fashion faux pas of days gone by helped me find my way. Each trend of every decade helps define a new generation of memories. I'm happy that mine were not botox and anal bleaching.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Pomegranate cocktails
Emo music and culture

Pomegranate rocks, and so do the Sneaker Pimps (but the Killers blow goats):biggrin1:

Trends I wouldn't mind never seeing repeated include:

Hypertattooism and its ugly kid sister, multiple facial piercings;

Overdecorated men's t-shirts and elf shoes;

Hummers and other urban assault vehicles;

Preemptive wars;

Civil rights voted on through referendum and not the legislative process;

Another Bush presidency for at least three generations;

Sarah Palin holding elective office;

The casual use of the word fascism and fascist imagery;

Torture as an American response to terrorism;

More as I think of 'em...

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Pomegranate rocks, and so do the Sneaker Pimps (but the Killers blow goats):biggrin1:

Overdecorated men's t-shirts and elf shoes;

Preemptive wars;

Civil rights voted on through referendum and not the legislative process;

Another Bush presidency for at least three generations;

Sarah Palin holding elective office;

The casual use of the word fascism and fascist imagery;

Torture as an American response to terrorism;

More as I think of 'em...
I read the post as pop culture... I have a laundry list a mile long as well if we are taking it out of that arena.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Opinion Poll; Worst trends of the past ten years (clothing/fashion , food, pop culture etc) 1999 - 2009 What trend should be gone for 2010? ie; crocks, shutter shades and botox. :) I'd love to hear some of yours

The worst trends of the past ten years.

1. SCHADENFREUDE IN AMERICA. :rolleyes:

2. REALITY SHOWS. :rolleyes:

3. GAY MEN WHO HAVE SEXUAL JONES FOR STRAIGHT MEN. :rolleyes:

4. BRITNEY SPEARS...AND THE WHOLE GAY MOULIN ROUGE THING. :rolleyes:

5. CELEBRITY SEX TAPES.

6. A JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE SONG BECOMING AN INTERNATIONAL JINGLE FOR MCDONALD'S. :mad:

7. DISSATISFIED HAUTE CUISINE CRITICS WHO DON'T COOK HAUTE CUISINE. :mad:

8. TECHNOLOGICAL MAFIA...cellphones...Blackberry...WI-FI...netbooks...etcetera. People don't really connect in person but they have to get back with you on your voicemail..."Can I get your cellie? yo' email? Can I text ya back?" People break up with each other over cellphone lines...get fired via email. What a bunch of disconnected connected mess!:mad:

Last edited:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hopefully there will be none of in the next decade:
ANY Houswives of...
Househusbands of........
Simpsons or Lohans and Samantha Ronson for that mater
Jon and Kate
Guys in knit caps
Gold teeth
Music stars w/guns (remember in the day music stars killed themselves?!)
I hope the next decade is minus ANY Kardashian and no reality tv person should be called a star.
It would be great if people got more active even forming tenants associations. When we formed ours it was amazing how little people even knew about tenants rights!

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
8. TECHNOLOGICAL MAFIA...cellphones...Blackberry...WI-FI...netbooks...etcetera. People don't really connect in person but they have to get back with you on your voicemail..."Can I get your cellie? yo' email? Can I text ya back?" People break up with each other over cellphone lines...get fired via email. What a bunch of disconnected connected mess!:mad:

While I prefer texts for some things, I certainly don't expect any serious one-on-one communication to be done via text. And my last roommate got into the habit of IMing me when we were in the same apartment, which I found slightly obtuse.

And count me as not-a-fan of the iphone, or in the purposeful delineation of class via any small, personal technology.

shyguy1985

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Reality TV shows and even worse talent based Reality TV shows.

Most are made of attention whores trying to get 15 minutes of fame so they dont have to do a proper days work for a living.

Plus, the countrys obsession with Big Brother, X-Factor, Whatsitcalled on Ice and Jordan is quite frankly disturbing.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rap music needs to GTFO. Well the gangsta rap anyway. Fuck that shit.

Where's the real music for real music lovers? Sign O' The Times will sustain me until balance is restored :smile:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Homophobia
Vaginal Rejuvenation

I'll go along with these especially!

And these... (I won't get into politics too much, but I'll say I agree with you on those, too!)

Jon and Kate
Gold teeth

And these!

I'll add one too - one fashion trend of the past decade that has irked me from the beginning: Babydoll tops for women. They look like maternity tops! If you're not pregnant, you shouldn't be wearing these - unless you like LOOKING pregnant! :rolleyes:

And the other thing I want to see ended is the combination of girls dressing in revealing clothes, but then saying "Oh, I'm a Christian and I don't believe in premarital sex". Puh-leaze... I complain about my prudish fundy relatives but at least they're consistent - they believe in really modest and er, rather dowdy clothes (and some don't allow women to wear pants...) Now, me, I'm pretty much ok with the revealing clothes on occasion (not to work, well ok depends on where you work! :biggrin1:), but it's the disparity between how they dress and what they say their beliefs are that is the problem here.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i hope this next decade will be the end of...

not having healthcare in america. dear washington DC, just thought i'd let you know you won't have a country left if your people keep dying!

the war in the middle east. bring our women and men home!

homophobia and replacing the word "stupid" with "gay." seriously, get with the times, ya freakin 'phobes. gay is the wave of the future.

wanna be hipsters, emo haircuts, and skinny jeans. kids, you're not that artistic and andy warhol would probably hate that he's your idol.

pairing ugg boots with everything... especially sweatpants! wtf?

george w. bush and his "legacy." dude, "mission: accomplished" hasn't been accomplished.

sarah palin. self-explanatory.

don't ask, don't tell policy. more than half of the population believes that homosexuals should also be drafted into war if there is ever a draft. if that's the case, why shouldn't they be allowed to serve openly?

kids having kids. maybe if parents weren't so uptight about letting thier kids take sex ed, they wouldn't be grandparents at age 40.

ass-writing on the back of pants, shorts, and skirts. seeing "juicy" written across the flat ass of a preteen is skanktastic!

size zero models. hasn't the industry realized real people don't look like dead skin on twig-thin bones?

crocs sandals. they're hideous... and tim gunn wants them gone!

the whole orange county bro/bro-ho thing. it's gotta stop. please. guys: we know your penises are small cause you drive those hideous monster trucks. girls: stop bleaching your hair and flaunting your tramp stamps. it's not attractive. to both: famous stars and straps isn't as awesome as you think it is. it's actually super lame.

plastic surgery. proof that people no longer have personalities, confidence, or self esteem.

reality shows. nothing is less interesting than spencer and heidi or if you can dance. the entertainment industry has lost all its creativity this past decade. they need to bring back the sitcom and actual scripted shows that don't have to do with untalented over-paid snobs or singing competitions.

celebrity gossip and the paparazi obsession. i don't care what actors look like without make up, and frankly neither do a lot of other people! we have more important things going on in our lives.

diabetes. it shouldn't control the way you live. make a change for the better.

and finally, the recession! it feels like no one is ever going to bounce back from all the financial hardships and wall street taking money away from main street. the crisis is hurting a lot of us, but i'm optimistic things will turn around for everyone.

Last edited: