...So What Do You Guys Think About This One?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That kind of thing is not for me, but it is also none of my business. I'm not surprised that it's making world news, though, it's everybody's business but mine.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Honestly, if their children are healthy, I've got no problem with it. Clearly they are consenting adults, and they know what they're doing. The article says they didn't grow up together or even know of each other until they were 16 and 20. Love's hard enough to find in this world, and if they've found it, I can hardly call that a reason to go to jail. I wonder why the guy's the only one who's been there and being threatened to go back.

Whopper-lee

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...I don't know quite what to say on this one. But you tell me what you think.

CNN.com - In the Field
Damn...:eek:
Sounds like a bad Arkansas joke...but really isn't.
But of course, you probably know this is nothing new that has occurred
with family members that has been separated for one reason or another.
More common than we hear about or know that doesn't become public.
I didn't vote a nay or yea on this issue... the thought came to my mind
that prehaps instead of fighting for their cause... also put a law in place
for DNA testing before marriage or conception of children...this is a situation for the kids involved:confused: But, what else...seem to me the Bible
mentions this coming in the last days...
BIG BROTHER/GOVERNMENT is now in our daily living affairs!
Whopper-lee
"Let not the young be misled, for common sense, is not so common, if not said."

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think the amount of increased likelyhood of birth defects in their children is infinitesimal, that is just an excuse. The taboo is derived from religion.
Doesn't look like there is any exploitation, I would stand up for them.

I don't recall offhand how many times over the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are cousins, it is several.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the amount of increased likelyhood of birth defects in their children is infinitesimal, that is just an excuse. The taboo is derived from religion.
Doesn't look like there is any exploitation, I would stand up for them.

I don't recall offhand how many times over the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are cousins, it is several.

As poorly as I understand genetics, I believe that there really isn't much fear of birth defects until several generations inbreed. Even then, the increased risk isn't tremendous, but probably still worth avoiding. As for this couple, as I said, their children must be healthy, or I'm sure that would be part of the story. I feel sad for them that they don't get to grow up with their parents. Surely, this should be of very little concern to a government.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Reminded of Teddy Roosevelt's remark when he gave away his neice Eleanor Roosevelt to marry his cousin, Franklin Delano Roosevelt: 'nothing like keeping the name in the family'

Nitrofiend

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow....I'm speechless.

On the one hand, it's just wrong. On the other, it's just plain fucked up. If you allow inbreeding among brothers and sisters, when will it stop? Will their children fuck each other, and will their children's children fuck each other, etc. etc. Can fathers and mothers fuck their daughters and sons? I'd pay more leniency if they were just cousins...but BROTHER AND SISTER???

No, this won't fly. Let them fuck...if they so desire:confused:, but I do not see it wise for them to be allowed to concieve their inbred children. It opens up a massive can of worms. I support the law in this case. Just...no.

I know I'm going to be attacked and my open-minded nature is going to be called into question...but I don't care. I think it's sick.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Reminded of Teddy Roosevelt's remark when he gave away his neice Eleanor Roosevelt to marry his cousin, Franklin Delano Roosevelt: 'nothing like keeping the name in the family'

Fifth cousins, once removed. Not quite as close as brother and sister.

I suspect that by the time Teddy said that it was an old joke among the Roosevelts. But doubtless everyone laughed anyway.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

The example of European royalty should reinforce the idea that the practice is suspect for very good reasons. Although the relatively modern royal inbreeding wasn't all that close - nothing to compare to the Ptolemaic dynasty, another (though somewhat more antique) European line.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Normally incest is one that I feel quite strongly is wrong on all counts, the laws against incest didn't come about because of genetics (we often breed animals that are closely related) they came about for social reasons and the often quoted reason of it making children prone to diseases/mutations is no more likely to happen than with any couple. Incest is normally about power and the abuse of it, the partner in an inferior position is coerced into accepting their abusers sexual advances because they are older (a parent, older sibling) or because they apply physical or mental pressure with threats or implied threats about what will happen if they tell . In the case where a brother and sister meet when they're both adults I find it a rather different case, both of them are on an equal footing and I don't really find it that surprising that we hear fairly often of this happening. For me they're not actually hurting anyone, I'd be tolerant of it.

desertguy

Just Browsing
Media
It's my understanding the two older children of this couple have some medical/physical disabilities. A family like this moved to my hometown when I was in my teen's and it was a difficult life for them. They had five children, four of them had deformities as well as being mentally challenged, all a result of the incestuous relationship. Having observed this family first hand and knowing the life long challenges facing the children, I find this practice totally irresponsible.

D_fitnesswitness

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I personally think that the fact that siblings decide to procreate is a bit disgusting. However, in this case, they have children, and seem to be a happy family (despite media/public attention) so, I'd let them live their lives, and hope that there is no encouragement of the children "hooking-up".

As for a law, I'm a bit torn. I dont think that government should govern love....though, I think that creating inbred generations is also irresponsible. So, I'm a bit torn with that. Hard to make the actual conclusion with the law.

legaleagel

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I've read quite bit int he german press about this and my understanding is that two of the children are mentally/phsycially handicapped. Equally every report I've read suggests that the sister isn't to bright and was underage when they started.

Her being underage when it happened is why she hasn't been sent to jail.