So What's wrong with Car Guys?

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What is it that gay men have against guys that wrench on their toys?
Do we emit some odd smell?
Do we have some large wart on our foreheads that scares people away?

I don't get it. When I tell a potential buddy that may turn into a LTR, I get the "Oh...your one of those guys". - What the hell does that mean?

When I ask, they clam up and avoid the question.

In the local chatrooms, I am told to "Take my filthy rags with my filthy hands and go elsewhere" by a complete stranger that I do not even know.
Uh... my hands aren't filthy... and my tools and garage aren't filthy either....

Last time I checked being gay simply meant you chose to prefer men over women. Since when has it become "prefer men that only shop at macy's, wear designer clothing, have a cute eco car with pride stickers plastered all over it, and listen to nothing but Madonna, Cher, and Lady Gaga"

Did I miss a pamphlet that was supposed to come with my gay card? Fine Print?? If so....I'ts walking closer to the shredder.

I'm beginning to question my sexuality and wonder if I am indeed straight.

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Sexual orientation is no boundary to intolerance. Haters come in all shapes, sizes, colours and sexes. I guess it;s just part of the human condition that a percentage of people are going to be unaccepting of those who are very different than themselves. But it does alway surprise me when that attitude comes out of a member of a minority group that has been subject to oppression. You'd think they would know better.

If it any consolation, it's the gay 10% of me that loves motorcycles!

monel

Sexy Member
Media

Just remember, if you find that you are straight, its nothing to be ashamed of. You were born that way and you can live a perfectly happy, fulfilling life as a straight man. Some of my best friends are straight.

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'd just say that there are narrow minded people in every walk of life, and that if you don't conform to what their idea of who or what "they" are, then it's as though you're the enemy.

It's as though some gay men think that all other gay men should be into the men who wear designer clothes, shop at Macy's, love Cher and Lady Gaga etc.

I think it's probably because there are a significant number of gay and bi men who have so many hangups about masculinity, possibly from being gay bashed or called "sissy" and "queer," that when they see a man who is truly into typical masculine pursuits, they feel threatened somehow.

Honestly, there is a reason why the symbol of being gay is the rainbow flag. Gays come in all shapes, sizes, and with varied interests.

Therefore, try not to get too hung up on it. Just do you, and you'll be fine. If someone is that turned off by you being interested in working on cars, you do not need them in your life, Period.

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know exactly what you mean. But it's not just a gay issue. A lot of straight men (and women) can't believe that a guy can be cultured, intelligent and caring as well as adept with spanner, saw, welder, etc. These people come across as narrow minded and bigoted, but maybe what sometimes fuels their contempt is that they're jealous of your knowledge/skills? So try not to let it get you down, but I know how disappointing it is to be shoved into a pigeon hole like that by someone you wanted to get along with. It happened to me not long ago when my niece was very disapproving of the 4X4 I was driving. I explained that it's more 'green' than her mum's Yarris because it runs on Liquid Petroleum Gas and only emits Co2 from the exhaust, but she wasn't interested. She was objecting to the symbolism of the thing. Sometimes you just can't win. Ah well.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual

Liking appletinis doesn't make you gay. Liking man-ass does.
Liking cars doesn't make you straight. Liking boobs in your face does.

I'm always tinkering with some project on my jag...granted that's part of owning a jag lol/

Yeah, you have to get it to start somehow.

^ Jag joke.

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Riven, are you a boffin? :p Perhaps they'd let up if you had on a lab coat.

Yes :biggrin1: You're probably right. Funnily, some kids at school called me 'Prof'. Had they been in my class they would have realised that I'm not academic. (I'm probably dyslexic although I've never been tested.) I think they called me Prof because I was the posh kid with a big vocabulary (I had intellectual parents) and bulging briefcase (I never took anything out of it, and rarely did any homework). People still point out that I know a lot about a lot of things, but I don't consider myself a boffin - more a jack of all trades and master of none.

I haven't told my niece that for the last year I've had an AC Cobra replica (1960s Anglo/American sports/racing car with a tuned Chevy V8 engine under the hood). I didn't buy it to piss off the 'green' side of the family, but I doubt they'll be able to stomach the symbolism. It's very loud too :biggrin1:

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Great thread. Riven I'm sure you're adorable just the way you are. The key to your way of thinking is Curiosity! You love to know what makes things tick. It's part of having a rational mind. Never mind the symbolism pass the spanner! I find that very attractive in men and women.

I feel sorry for gays who are air-head fashionistas and know nothing else. But I get annoyed by gays & women who pretend to be. They hide their technical knowledge in the closet and critcise other people for using "big words".

I read both Vanity Fair and Top Gear or Wheels on a regular basis. I like Madonna and Metallica. I like camping (in a tent) and gourmet dining. People look at me funny unless I try to hide half of my personality. I do that less often as I get older.

I sell advertising to "tradies" - tradesmen and small business owners. I've met so many in their workshops that I think are just gorgeous - they just don't know it! Do any women here feel the same? I'm with you CountryGuy63.

I think it's probably because there are a significant number of gay and bi men who have so many hangups about masculinity, possibly from being gay bashed or called "sissy" and "queer," that when they see a man who is truly into typical masculine pursuits, they feel threatened somehow.
Absolutely!

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've never been one of the guys, but I'm not one of the girls either. When it comes to gay stereotypes, I'm kind of in the middle. I love Kylie Minogue and Lady Gaga, but I'm terrible at dancing to them. I love shopping, but not for clothes. I love musicals but I hate "Glee". I love ABBA but I hate 'Mamma Mia'. I consider myself 100% gay but I don't scream and faint at the sign of 'flap'. My hair is messy, I dress badly, I don't give a flying fuck about fashion.....need I go on?

I have nothing against gay men who don't fit the stereotypes. I don't have a problem with mechanics, manual labourers etc. I like a guy who knows how to handle his tool.....

It's all about balance. I'd be happy to have a guy who could repair my car stereo, but it will still play Madonna and Cher.

Last edited:

Can't understand these car lovers. Completely unfathomable. :wink:

stormmaker

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just the opposite for me. Would atcually be a bit of a turn on :smile:

I'm with Countrygay it's a turn on for me I like a greasemonkey.

I live about an hour away from Orlando In a small city and I'm a t-shirt and jeans guy not the 50 and up pair I get mine from wal-mart, and when I go to Orlando the party or go clubbing the guys there look at me as if I have two heads, Some (most) gay guys people Think that if you're not wearing the $50 T-shirt, $200 jeans, $300 shose that you are not worththe time to get to know someone. I can't afford that nor do I want to if you don't like my because of that reason than FucK off.