So who should supply the condom?

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In a lot of couples that's true - I'd go so far as to say the majority. There are exceptions, though. One thing I can't fault my ex on was dedication to contraception. Also - I think there is more of a balance in who is considered responsible for contraception in a relationship that has already produced children. In fact in my experience the imbalance swings the other way - an awful lot of women expect a man to have a vasectomy after that relationship has produced the number of children she wants. These same women won't consider tubal ligation giving their reason as being 'what if I want another child'. Huh?

I know the reverse can happen too, but of the 'committed with kids' couples I know (of various ages) who I have discussed this with there is a definite imbalance of the women keeping their fertility and men being expected to give theirs up.
for me the vasectomy v tubal ligation argument would be simply the op & recovery time. for men it's a cheaper, faster, less complicated and lower risk op.

and the risk of ectopic pregnancy, which is potentially fatal and extremely painful, is increased with ligation and removed with vasectomy.
my aunt had more than one ectopic after and, having seen the state it left her in, quite frankly it scares the shit out of me. eventually her insides were so screwed up they just gave her a full hysterectomy.

...i don't mean to be all scare mongery. it's a small risk and it's just my personal experience that makes it seem bigger to me.

my ex, having seen the delightful personality changes induced by the pill, never once complained about rubbering up throughout our relationship.

wseattle

Superior Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If a man is smart he will take responsibility if he is dumb he will do it without..

cute5

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, women supply their birth control pills, IUDs, sponges, and goddess knows what else, so I think guys should supply the condoms.

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
:biggrin1:There are simpler tubes tied scenarios.

But, if a guy's got 40-50 years fertility left, & a woman has 4 or 5, it's a no brainer., given the high rates of partnership dissolution.

The only reason women want men to have their tubes tied is to prevent them having children with other women after they've run off with the house.:wink: (they only want their kids to be your heirs!)

The ex-wife, who was 10 years older than me was very keen on my having it done. She went menopausal years back, & I'm still nicely sin my 30's.

Thankfully, I missed the cut. Not being able to have kids is a real "No sale" to a lot of women if you find yourself on the market again. Unless you've got loads, don't do it!