So who watched The Office after the superbowl?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ssongs, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ssongs

ssongs Active Member

Albums:
    First, I love The Office. This episode I thought was particularly hilarious. Dwight, unhappy the the rest of the staff for ignored his fire training, conducts a realistic fire drill and starts a small fire in a trash can. He even goes as far as jamming all the exits and heating up the door handles with a blow torch indicating that there is fire on the other side! The whole office explodes in pandemonium. People are busting out windows, Kevin breaks open the vending machine. Angela actually has one of her cats sleeping in a file drawer (it even has a little bed in there). While Oscar was attempting to escape through the ceiling, she throws the cat up there for him to catch, but it only comes crashing down through the ceiling! It was hilarious.

Anyway the part I didn't like was not with the show, but NBC's promos. For a good week they were saying, "Oh watch the Super Bowl episode of The Office! It has Jack Black and Jessica Alba!" And I'm thinking Wow! This should be great! There's not many guest stars so how are they going to fit them in there? But it turns out that they were starring in a movie that Andy had downloaded illegally off the internet and he, Pam, and Jim were watching it on his laptop in the break room. And that was it. You only see them on the tiny laptop screen with tinny sound! I was thinking, "Is that it?". It would have been better if NBC kept their mouth shut. Then I would have been like, "Holy shit! Jack Black and Jessica Alba are in the movie on Andy's computer!"

I remember the same thing happening with an episode of The Simpsons waaay back in the 90s. The promos said, "Bart does his wildest prank ever and gets Principal Skinner fired!" But it wasn't a prank, Bart just brought his dog in for show and tell and it gets loose, some how gets into the airducts, one falls apart onto the superintendent and he fires Skinner. It was a total accident and Bart even spends the rest of the episode feeling SORRY! So I think the networks definitely hype it up to get us to watch even if we realize that they are lying just to get ratings. Just some thoughts.

2. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    I watched the first half of The Office but pretty much ignored the Super Bowl (except for the last 35 seconds, which took about half an hour) so I missed the promos.

But I think it's VERY "Office" of them to promise celebs who only showed up in that illegal download ... it's sort of in keeping with the cheeky irreverence of the show, don't you think?

Among the parts I saw, I greatly enjoyed the contrast of Michael throwing the overhead projector through his window, while Kevin broke the glass on the vending machine and started stuffing his pockets.

Steve

3. Denby

Denby New Member

Never watched the American version of The Office. Kind of liked the British version. As soon as the Super Bowl ended I went to the sales channels QVC and HSN because they usually are selling stuff like hats and shirts as soon as the game is done. Then I checked the sports channels and listened to them a while before going to the local news.

4. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    I watched a couple of episodes of the american version, totally crap compared to the original... shame because I love that little fella who plays the boss!

5. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted