So why did Obama get this anti-gay bigot...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Flashy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

to perform the invocation at his inauguration?

seems rather insulting...not to mention very bizarre, and totally imprudent

how do his gay supporters feel about this guy Warren who strongly supported the gay marriage ban in CA. , delivering the invocation at the Inauguration?

talk about insulting your supporters....i thought Obama was supposed to be so savvy and smart.

why would he do something that silly?

I really hope he shows better judgment then that in office.

2. Principessa

Gold Member

Warren who? I hate when people start a thread to rant about something and don't give us a link or at the very least complete information so that we can understand why it is that you are upset. :irked: :12:

3. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

4. Flashy

Gold Member

Rick Warren

apparently gay groups are going shit-house over it.

the news is all over the place

and i am not ranting. I am simply curious because of the large percentage of gay posters we have here, who, to my surprise, have not seemed to mention it yet.

If i was gay, and an Obama supporter, i'd be furious.

5. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

6. Principessa

Gold Member

Obama reaching across the lines -- Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at the inauguration

It appears that the Rev. Rick Warren of Saddleback Church has been asked to deliver the invocation at Barack Obama's inauguration. Some of Obama's supporters are Not Happy. People For the American Way says:
    It is a grave disappointment to learn that pastor Rick Warren will give the invocation at the inauguration of Barack Obama.
    Pastor Warren, while enjoying a reputation as a moderate based on his affable personality and his church's engagement on issues like AIDS in Africa, has said that the real difference between James Dobson and himself is one of tone rather than substance. He has recently compared marriage by loving and committed same-sex couples to incest and pedophilia. He has repeated the Religious Right's big lie that supporters of equality for gay Americans are out to silence pastors. He has called Christians who advance a social gospel Marxists. He is adamantly opposed to women having a legal right to choose an abortion.
    All of which is true, if spun to be negative. Warren is hugely popular with his bible-themed "Purpose Driven" guides for how to live a more meaningful life. His focus on AIDS in Africa and the plight of the poor resonate powerfully with those who suggest that abortion and gay marriage aren't the totality of conservative Christian issues. And he is theologically very much a Southern Baptist who has made it clear in recent interviews that he has not strayed from the SBC position on some hotbutton issues.

All of which makes the selection look like one of many being made by the Obama transition team to reach across some longstanding lines of division. Is this a Good Thing or a Bad Thing? Depends on whether you think those lines should be impermeable boundaries of principle or if you think they are artificial impediments to progress...

Dude, that article is a year old! :mad:

7. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Were all the Grand Ayatollah's busy?:biggrin1:

Not that I was going to attend anyway, but that is true, it would be an obstacle.

8. Flashy

Gold Member

so i guess you have not been following the gay groups that have flipped out so far already?

"reaching across the lines" is indeed cute spin for what it is.

sort of like what the inauguration spokeswoman said when asked (of course, giving the typical politico-speak)

Inauguration spokeswoman Linda Douglass said that Warren’s invitation goes to the heart of Obama’s philosophy to be inclusive and unite the country.
    “Obviously the President-elect disagrees with the pastor’s views on LGBT issues and in other areas as well,” Douglass said, adding that Warren would be on the podium with others who hold opposite views.
    “That’s the only way we really find common ground,” she said. “This is going to be the most open, inclusive inauguration in history in many, many ways.”

---

Too bad the gay groups that supported Obama don't buy that crap

---

Dear President-elect Obama -
    Let me get right to the point. Your invitation to Reverend Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at your inauguration is a genuine blow to LGBT Americans. Our loss in California over the passage of Proposition 8 which stripped loving, committed same-sex couples of their given legal right to marry is the greatest loss our community has faced in 40 years. And by inviting Rick Warren to your inauguration, you have tarnished the view that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans have a place at your table.
    Rick Warren has not sat on the sidelines in the fight for basic equality and fairness. In fact, Rev. Warren spoke out vocally in support of Prop 8 in California saying, “there is no need to change the universal, historical definition of marriage to appease 2 percent of our population … This is not a political issue — it is a moral issue that God has spoken clearly about.” Furthermore, he continues to misrepresent marriage equality as silencing his religious views. This was a lie during the battle over Proposition 8, and it’s a lie today.
    Rev. Warren cannot name a single theological issue that he and vehemently, anti-gay theologian James Dobson disagree on. Rev. Warren is not a moderate pastor who is trying to bring all sides together. Instead, Rev. Warren has often played the role of general in the cultural war waged against LGBT Americans, many of whom also share a strong tradition of religion and faith.
    We have been moved by your calls to religious leaders to own up to the homophobia and racism that has stood in the way of combating HIV and AIDS in this country. And that you have publicly called on religious leaders to open their hearts to their LGBT family members, neighbors and friends.
    But in this case, we feel a deep level of disrespect when one of architects and promoters of an anti-gay agenda is given the prominence and the pulpit of your historic nomination. Only when Rev. Warren and others support basic legislative protections for LGBT Americans can we believe their claim that they are not four-square against our rights and dignity. In that light, we urge you to reconsider this announcement.
    Sincerely,
    Joe Solmonese President Human Rights Campaign

---

People For the American Way 'Profoundly Disappointed' that Rick Warren Will Give Invocation

People For the American Way President Kathryn Kolbert responded today to the news that Rev. Rick Warren of Saddleback Church will deliver the invocation at the presidential inauguration of Barack Obama:
    It is a grave disappointment to learn that pastor Rick Warren will give the invocation at the inauguration of Barack Obama.
    Pastor Warren, while enjoying a reputation as a moderate based on his affable personality and his church's engagement on issues like AIDS in Africa, has said that the real difference between James Dobson and himself is one of tone rather than substance. He has recently compared marriage by loving and committed same-sex couples to incest and pedophilia. He has repeated the Religious Right's big lie that supporters of equality for gay Americans are out to silence pastors. He has called Christians who advance a social gospel Marxists. He is adamantly opposed to women having a legal right to choose an abortion.
    I'm sure that Warren's supporters will portray his selection as an appeal to unity by a president who is committed to reaching across traditional divides. Others may explain it as a response to Warren inviting then-Senator Obama to speak on AIDS and candidate Obama to appear at a forum, both at his church. But the sad truth is that this decision further elevates someone who has in recent weeks actively promoted legalized discrimination and denigrated the lives and relationships of millions of Americans.
    Rick Warren gets plenty of attention through his books and media appearances. He doesn't need or deserve this position of honor. There is no shortage of religious leaders who reflect the values on which President-elect Obama campaigned and who are working to advance the common good.

#8 Flashy, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  9. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Obama mustn't have known about his anti-gay posture. After all, he never heard anything Rev. Wright said in twenty years of attendance at Trinity.

Hmmm, seems I've heard about this...uh....I got it! Selective hearing. Yup, selective hearing.

What a surprise.

10. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Yah...I think, based on the logic that Rev Wright's views are his own and should not be used to condemn Obama or assume Obama's beliefs...that people should give this a rest. Perhaps people forget that Obama seeks to be some grand unifier, and that requires dealing with people they might not like.

11. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    And if he'd asked a pro-gay pastor, there'd be five forum threads howling to the Heavens about how it just confirms that he's the most liberal president ever......yada yada yada.

Fact: no matter what he does, there will be "gotcha" artists waiting with bated breath.

Threads like this are becoming so predictable.

Insert knee-jerk "the sky is falling" thread. Follow the Limbaugh model (grandiose indignation with a dose of sarcasm ((veiled or brazen, depending on....hmm....whimsy?)) because it seems to satisfy some inherent need to moan and rabble-rouse (and it will be met with glee by a certain segment of the populace who react like a child being handed a Hershey bar). If questioned about it, go on the offensive, and, if possible, make specious comparisons by the dozen. Cite sources, but it's not really necessary that they bear any relation to the topic or the truth.

#11 SilverTrain, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  12. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

I am deeply disappointed in Barack Obama, and I voted for him. If he's so interested in having all points of view represented then perhaps he should invite David Duke to speak as well.

13. Principessa

Gold Member

Rick Warren to give prayer at Obama inauguration
    I’m not sure this will even register with conservatives and evangelicals; I’ve never before put any weight in the prayer given at the president’s inauguration. If I did, I’d really have to wonder what Graham said wrong at both of Bush’s. But if musings at The Reality-Based Community are any indication, liberals aren’t happy:

Can’t we have Jeremiah Wright instead?

In the above video, which I was already planning to post today before the inauguration news, Warren talks with Beliefnet Editor-in-Chief Steven Waldman about gay marriage, torture and his dark nights with God.

Christianity Today has something of a synopsis of the interview.

Most Likely to Infuriate Liberals:
    • Gay marriage is morally equivalent to allowing brothers and sisters to marry. Watch.
    • He opposes torture but didn’t try to convince President Bush to change course because “I never had the opportunity.“ Watch.
    • A possibly veiled slap at Islam: “He could have made us all puppets. ... He could have put us on strings and we’d pray five times a day and we’d have no choice.“ Watch.
    • “Abortion reduction” efforts are mostly a “charade.“ Watch.
    • His historical argument that “social gospel” Protestantism was “just Marxism in Christian clothing” and that “the mainline [Protestants] died.“ Watch.
    Most Likely to Infuriate Conservatives:
    • He supports partnership rights for gays including insurance and visitation benefits. This appears to be a similar position to that which just prompted the resignation of a top official of the National Association of Evangelicals. Watch.
    • His declaration that it’s a “no brainer” that divorce is a bigger threat to the American family than gay marriage, and that Christian leaders focus on gay marriage instead because “we always love to talk about other people’s sins.“ Watch.
    • Religious conservatives have misled people into thinking Christ’s message was primarily about conservative politics and that politics is the primary way to change culture. Watch.
    • The Bush administration seems to have engaged in torture, which he condemned. Watch.
    • While condemning abortion as a Holocaust and abortion reduction as a “charade” he nonetheless said he would support those efforts, which he equated to Schindler’s list—a way of reducing the harm of an overall evil. Watch.
    Most Likely to Titillate Theologians:
    • While your behavior doesn’t determine whether you get into heaven, it does determine what you do once you’re there. Watch.
    • His statement that “I really don’t know” whether people who don’t know about Christ will be blocked entry into heaven. Watch.
    • “God’s will is not done most of the time on earth. When people go, ‘oh, that hurricane must have been God’s will’ - baloney!“ Watch.
    Most Likely to Inspire and Challenge:
    • The story of his daughter in law’s brain tumor and its surprising lesson the family learned. Watch.
    • His relentless commitment to awakening Americans to African poverty. Watch.
    • His personal Christmas prayer. Watch.
    • His argument that the economic collapse comes from abandoning Biblical principles of thrift. Watch.
    Moment I’d Most Like To Follow Up about:
    Everyone will have their favorites. But for me the most interesting moment was after he described the gift of grace, and I then asked: “Why if he forgives us for murdering or raping would he not forgive us for not believing in Him?“ He took his best shot, but I’m not sure he totally nailed it. Watch.

14. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

Obama seems to be solidifying his centrist position credentials, hence, this selection

15. pym

pym New Member

Come on, Flashy...i generally have alot of respect for your posts and points of view. But this is really laying an egg. I am betting that this Reverand is towing his churches line on that issue. As so many churches do. Including the church choice of mr.bush. How this is a reflection on Barack Obama's personal point of view really escapes me. I think that you are capable of painting with a less BROAD brush. I could disaprove of homo-sexuality as a personal choice for myself, Does that make me Homo-phobic? Ideally, this should serve to illustrate why seperation of CHURCH and STATE is so important.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

What the hell do you people want?! You ran off the pastor he had for 20 years. When it comes to religion no choice he makes will please everybody. When he decides what church his family will attend he will no doubt piss off another 50 million people. Get over it! This was not done to annoy gay people, Jewish people, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, or anybody else.

Oh please! :irked: What an asinine, knee-jerk, reactionary remark. Next thing I know you'll be invoking Hitler. :mad:

17. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:

Obamabots getting DUPED YET AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really are getting bushwhacked (pun intended) by ol' Barrah, and he's not even in office yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to think you drop 20 bones on some ugly tie die "HOPE" t-shirt.

Warren is a non-issue, because last I checked Barrah was anti-gay marriage. So where's the shock...

I'm just curious how/when Rev Wright segues back into the picture. Was funny was Barrah was asked... "for 20 years you've been going to that church and never heard any of the hate speech???!!!" ..."what can I tell you?"

18. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    whuu????

this has NOTHING to do with what that amendment intended. NOTHING. religion in government is fine, acceptable, and healthy to many.

19. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

20. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    How do you know this? I mean, really?

Or were you just wanting to stir the pot, and this was a quick sentence you whipped up to fit the bill?

It does present a nice little game we could all play. [Actually, some folks have been playing it for years already] It's kind of like Straw Man, but with the added wrinkle that one injects oneself into the bullshit.

"If I were a conservative Republican, Bush's eradication of habeas corpus would have sent me through the roof since it's such an un-conservative thing he did, and I most definitely wouldn't have defended his actions."

"If I were an Independent, the fact that no Independent candidate in 487,238 years has been worth a shit, or garnered more than 12 votes, would really have me reconsidering my party registration"

"If I had a bigger dick, it would actually suck because it wouldn't get as hard"

"If I were a major asshole, I would care more about scoring political points on a web forum than I do about the goodwill of mankind"

"If I were the Green Lantern, I'd crusade against Obama because he reads Marvel comics"

This is fun...

Draft saved Draft deleted