So you say gas is expensive?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You may think so, but it's really not.

It seems to me (if LPSG is any indicator) that all any Presidential nominee (actual or prospective) need do to win is cut petrol prices by say 1$/gallon, paying for it by ending the Iraqi adventure.*

You should enjoy cheap patrol while you can - it's about the $7.45 per (US) gallon mark here. A direct comparison if of course meaningless but cast it against per capita GDP and it's clearer:

Using 2006 GDP figures and NJ's petrol cost: 3.22/44000 (0.007%) Vs 7.45/31800 (0.023%). Compare this to say, 1990: 2/23650 (0.08%). It's 20% cheaper now than it was almost 20 years ago.

It's interesting just how closely the increase in pumped petrol prices between 2001 and 2007 mirrors the rise during the 1975-1980 crises.

Compared to the UK petrol in the US is 1/3rd the cost. Just to illustrate even further - the ratio in Turkey is 10.03/9000 (0.11%) or almost 16 times the cost in the US.

You can try this at home yourself kids.

This is of course tongue in cheek,well...mostly.

Based on around 388m gallons/day (2006) $1 off a gallon=$141bn p.a. vs Iraq $125bn+ p.a.?

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
You make some very valid and interesting points, MCA, and I don't think there's any reason to 'back away' from anything you've said.

In terms of politics in general you're skirting the age-old 'class warfare' debate. In terms of the upcoming election keep what you've said in mind whenever you hear the term "universal" being bandied about. Still in the hunt for Democratic nomination we have two of the very most liberal members of the Senate who believe virtually everything should be on an even playing field, regardless of whether you act responsibly, etc. Never mind things such as a significant number (up to 35% by some estimates) of the 8.8 million kids currently "going without" health insurance are doing so simply because their parents have failed to sign them up for public programs.

Although things have become a bit more centrist since Edwards dropped out of the race, the Obama-Clinton message is still essentially the same: "What's yours is yours, and what's his (and hers, and theirs and mine) should also be yours".

In this free (for now, anyway) society, that ideology rubs many people (myself included) the wrong way.

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think gas is expensive, and life sucks with the housing crisis... but I was just looking on CNN, and everyone was blaming companies, the President, foreigners, Jesus, the Muppets... everybody but themselves.

I'm no Republican, I'm no Christian, I hate Jim Henson, and I hate Big Oil... but come on now, people. Pull your heads out of your asses for a second. Do you really need that /second/ 42" HD TV? Do you need your new Saab? Can we all step back and have a little bit of personal responsibility for a moment? What the fuck are people doing with $20,000 in credit card debt? WTF are people doing owning 3 SUVs??? Can we think like normal people for a few years, live within our means and stop all trying to be the Hilton family, or are we just going to cram our arteries full of of this fattening crap and die from an awful fiscal heart attack?

People are complaining about not being able to buy enough fast food/Pizza Hut/Applebees to feed their kids each night because gas costs too much. I have a three step solution to this problem.

1. Pick up your frying pan.

2. Open your refrigerator.

3. Beat yourself on the head with the frying pan until you pass out and stop wasting your money. Why not actually cook something healthy for your kids? I bet it costs less...

And I'm not a hypocrite on this, btw. Other than my XBOX360, I haven't bought a thing for myself over one hundred dollars for the past 6 months... but that's how I roll.

If you do feel you need to have toys, which I don't think there's anything wrong with, please don't go crazy and then blame it on the government or something when you know you're just an idiot with money and shouldn't be let out of your play pen (other than for the frying pan thing listed above).

(Please note, that this category is for rants. Don't take it personally if it sounds like I'm writing about you -- I'm just sick of people's shit (read spoiled Americans) on this issue and an obvious inability to take personal responsibility.)

I feel this way as well. My only extravagance is the money I spend on my dogs. I haven't bought myself toys, or clothes in over a year. I have two cars, a Mercedez and and Lexus SUV, I rarely drive the Lexus. My accountant said it was an investment.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I feel this way as well. My only extravagance is the money I spend on my dogs. I haven't bought myself toys, or clothes in over a year. I have two cars, a Mercedez and and Lexus SUV, I rarely drive the Lexus. My accountant said it was an investment.

You need to fire your accountant especially if you didn't buy that car with cash.

victor112

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You can´t complaine about the gas price, when it´s about $3,20 per gallon. Here in Sweden the gas price is about $7,50 per gallon.

D

deleted213967

is that a good wow or an "i'm scared shitless" wow? or none of the above?

Dearest Ann,

May I suggest you drink a gallon of gasoline straight off the pump? I recommend all-American Chevron Techron 93 octane. Its richer taste must be available in less eco-friendly red states...and it is MUCH cheaper here than in the EU indeed since EU countries tend to tax petroleum products to death to discourage waste (and bring in revenue).

Also, Hitler despised the Church (big time!) so that moustache doesn't look too good on you goody-goody gurl!

D

deleted213967

I think gas is expensive, and life sucks with the housing crisis... but I was just looking on CNN, and everyone was blaming companies, the President, foreigners, Jesus, the Muppets... everybody but themselves.

The OP clearly has a point. More generally, we've seen the death of individual responsibility, in the US at least. Let's blame it on the baby boomers (they're always fair game).

The name of the game is victimization and responsibility shifting.

We can certainly argue that the general public is only one player in the game, one that is not as organized and monolithic as, say, Big Oil.

One analogy would be tobacco. Certainly it takes smokers to make (or break) Big Tobacco. But we tend to blame Big Tobacco more because, indeed, they profit (big time!), smokers lose (big time!).

pdxman

Sexy Member
Media
One good thing will come out of rising gas prices. It will stop this relentless ugly suburban sprawl and force people to live closer to the City in higher densities. I don't get how people who live 40- 50 miles away from their jobs in the City can afford to get to work and back? Plus these all cant be good paying jobs? Plus, how can trailer court people in the sticks afford to pump gas in a huge Ford F-350 they covet?

don kiddick

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Fuel in the UK at the moment is averaging £1.10 a litre - 4.54litres make a gallon. £1.10 a litre x 4.54 litres (aka a gallon) = £4.99 a gallon

Current exchange rate is $1.98 to a £1 making the UK fuel price $9.92 a gallon.

Were getting fisted over here

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fuel in the UK at the moment is averaging £1.10 a litre - 4.54litres make a gallon. £1.10 a litre x 4.54 litres (aka a gallon) = £4.99 a gallon

Current exchange rate is $1.98 to a £1 making the UK fuel price $9.92 a gallon.

Were getting fisted over here

Not quite accurate, US gallons <> UK Gallons. Divide by 1.2.

traveler29

Experimental Member
Media
It never ceases to amaze me that people can pay an average of $2.75 for a one ounce shot of espresso, but balk at paying more than $2 for a whole GALLON of gas. Utility of an ounce of espresso vs. the utility of a gallon of gas...

Comparatively speaking, if you were to buy a gallon of espresso it would cost nearly $352. Multiply that by the average 15 gallon gas tank in American cars, and you&#8217;re now looking at $5,280 dollars to fill your car with espresso.

don kiddick

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It never ceases to amaze me that people can pay an average of $2.75 for a one ounce shot of espresso, but balk at paying more than $2 for a whole GALLON of gas. Utility of an ounce of espresso vs. the utility of a gallon of gas...

Comparatively speaking, if you were to buy a gallon of espresso it would cost nearly $352. Multiply that by the average 15 gallon gas tank in American cars, and you’re now looking at $5,280 dollars to fill your car with espresso.

whats the octane rating on espresso?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

Comparatively speaking, if you were to buy a gallon of espresso it would cost nearly $352. Multiply that by the average 15 gallon gas tank in American cars, and you’re now looking at $5,280 dollars to fill your car with espresso.
Thanks for that! Laugh of the day.
Gasoline costs about 10.10 USD per US gallon here. My Focus takes over a 100 bucks to fill the tank. I wish we had 3 dollar gas!

When adjusted for inflation, Americans are current paying near historic highs. About the same as in the early 80's. But with wages and salaries having increased in real terms, it means the average person works fewer hours to fill the gas tank.

On a recent trip to the states I was struck by how HUGE the new houses are. Given that families are smaller than when I was a kid, do people really need all that space? Is it the result of accumulative 'keeping up with the Jones' or is it dillusions of grandeur? Not only are they huge they look so faux. Moorish arches? In Wisconsin?

Oh.. and Alex.. fire your accountant. :rolleyes: