So You Think You Can Dance

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
This show comes on every summer I think, soon after American Idol. The missus watches it, but I never watch the dance routines and competition (boring to me) but I have watched the preliminary judging and find it "entertaining".

Anyway, tonite we're watching and apparently there was this kid who tried out once before, but the Prick of a headjudge (I don't know his name - couldn't care) told him his routine was too "feminine" that time because he had this ribbon you see in gymnastics routines. (well..)

So the kid returned, apparentlly having finished up at Juilliard (sp. check) was really upbeat, was prepared, and seemed to know his stuff.

But "the Prick" would've had to admit he might have been wrong about the kid in the first place, I think, cause he hardly cracked a smile thru the guy's whole routine. He seemed rather put off, and though they all were forced to admit his routine was excellent, the Prick gave the boy some lame azz shit about "not having his heart in it."

So after (falsely) building up his hopes by letting him go thru a choreography bit, they sent him packing without so much of an explanation.

My wife and I couldn't figure why. Except that ol' "stick up his ass" undoubtedly decided right off that he didn't like the kid. And the other two "judges" (if I may be so liberal with the word) are pretty much window dressing because they look to him and follow his lead and apparently don't have the balls to disagree. Seemed terribly unfair and all too arbitrary.

Just wondering if anyone else saw it and felt likewise.

Last edited:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have watched this show since it started coming on and I don't find Nigel to be a prick. I understood his points about this particular guy and the tranvestitie who took the entire audition as a joke (even though that is a different issue). Remember, you don't get to see all the footage unedited.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm no fan or regular watcher of the show so that's my impression of him (Nigel?) from what I see when I see it. Just as it seems the other two aren't inclined as much to buck Nigel as say, Randy and Paula on "A.I."

And this kid (not the one who took it as a joke nor the transvestite) seemed quite serious to me, seeing as how it was his second try at the audition.

Judging by some of the contestants who they did pass, both my wife and I (she does watch the show) felt this kid didn't get a fair break...in our opinion.

B_AZBiGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
b.c. i can see how you'd think that as a casual watcher. i also watch the show infrequently, and have to say i completely agreed with what he said. technically, the kid is amazing. (not as amazing as the black kid that was before him with the body chiseled out of stone...)

but i didn't see the "spark" in the kid that i saw in all of the other dancers that made it through. i thought he started to come around and put more personality into the choreography section... but it might been too little too late.

my opinion of the kid turned completely sour after the tirade he threw after being cut. as an artist, you have to be prepared to take the good with the bad... and regardless of if you're the best one there, you may not fit the mold of the person the auditioners are looking for.

just my two cents.