So you think you're a big man?

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What is more amazing are how dense pulsars, or neutron stars are. One teaspoon of pulsar material would weigh 1 billion tons if brought here to earth. They are the remnants of a star that has exploded into a supernova.

If this was at all possible it would not be a very good thing to do. I would only assume that the teaspoon of matter would have it own gravitational field and that would suck.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
If this was at all possible it would not be a very good thing to do. I would only assume that the teaspoon of matter would have it own gravitational field and that would suck.

Basically... yep. But there are worse things than neutron matter on Earth.

Micro black holes for one, most evidence points to the fact they would evaporate away but still, bit of a risk. Worse still, a stranglet.

Strangelet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If a stranglet was even experimentally made on Earth we would all be... fucked. It would consume all matter until nothing was left.

The fun you can have in a science lab, ah.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
and yet, they will still try.

OK here's good question for the theorists, what is suppose to happen when they finish this huge proton gun, I think thats what it's called you know to split an atom. Are they trying to create black matter or anti matter or what.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

OK here's good question for the theorists, what is suppose to happen when they finish this huge proton gun, I think thats what it's called you know to split an atom. Are they trying to create black matter or anti matter or what.

Deno. You just blew my mind. I just got the most intense feeling of deja vu when I read that.

What do you guys think will happen on December 21, 2012? We will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way because we are descending from teh top of it to teh bottom of it. Imagine the effects of being influenced by the center of the galaxy. Possibly catastrophic.

Some say a polar shift , some say a black hole , some say an object 3 times the wize of Earth's mass or a brown dwarf will come dangerously close to us and possibly mean our end. Some say an asteroid.

The Mayan calendr ends on this date. Nastradamus predicts an major catastrophe on this date. And several religious texts predict that there will only be one more pope (the current one).

Or do yall think it's all nonsense?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What do you guys think will happen on December 21, 2012? We will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way because we are descending from teh top of it to teh bottom of it. Imagine the effects of being influenced by the center of the galaxy. Possibly catastrophic.

Some say a polar shift , some say a black hole , some say an object 3 times the wize of Earth's mass or a brown dwarf will come dangerously close to us and possibly mean our end. Some say an asteroid.

The Mayan calendr ends on this date. Nastradamus predicts an major catastrophe on this date. And several religious texts predict that there will only be one more pope (the current one).

Teh police.

I don't think anything odd will happen on that day. It is the winter solstice (I think).

As far as the Mayans, it is predicted to mean a change more than an ending. They had to end their calendar some time and it just ends a cycle.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure

Good question. A particle accelerator, to my knowledge doesn't create dark matter, namely as we don't actually know what dark or even strange matter really is.

I suspect it's to be use to explore the finer workings of the sub atomic, all the little wonder'mer'thingies that actually make up the fundamental blocks like protons and neutrons. Things like quarks, neutrinos and maybe even tachyons.

Anti matter already exits. Ever heard of the positron, that's actually anti matter electron. In fact I think we have already made about half a gram of the stuff. Matter anti matter exchange is extremely violent and energetic which makes it a great future energy research field, but I doubt the likes of you or I will have to worry about anti matter accidents or weapons just yet.

Deno. You just blew my mind. I just got the most intense feeling of deja vu when I read that.

What do you guys think will happen on December 21, 2012? We will be aligned with the centre of the Milky Way because we are descending from teh top of it to teh bottom of it. Imagine the effects of being influenced by the centre of the galaxy. Possibly catastrophic.

A big fat nothing. Out solar system is just over 4 and half billion years old, during which time we have galactic centre aligned a fair few times. We're still here aren't we?

Polar shift is part of the planets Geo engine and has happened shit loads before and will again. Black holes are not born though cosmic alignments. There are no brown dwarves in range of us and asteroids are as likely to strike tomorrow as due to cosmic alignments.

The Mayan calendar ends on this date. Nostradamus predicts an major catastrophe on this date. And several religious texts predict that there will only be one more pope (the current one).

There are hundreds of predicted ends of the world, in equally as many beliefs and cultures. While for some it may have been the end of their world, it has never been or will ever likely be the end of all of ours.

This is the best place to start and work from there.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
O I know black holes aren't just made. Some think that one exists in the part of the galaxy that we are about to occupy.

They're made in one of two ways, stellar death and galaxy formations.

Fortunately the really big ones, the supermassive black holes, caused the galaxy within whos heart they reside, to spins. This means stellar black holes are not static collision obstacles, they are in rotation of the galactic core, just like our solar system.

So chances of us catching up to one or one over taking us in the grand scheme of things is very tiny. Black holes are distant phenomena, despite the whole galaxy being in constant motion.

I think we're safe.

Bare this in mind, every few hundred million years or so, our solar system actually goes up and down, through the galactic arm we occupy. Each time we do, and we have many times in our history, we cross an enormous asteroid field, ELE's all of them, yet we are still here.

When you look at the numbers involved with cosmic catastrophes, I would be far more worried about driving to work or who lives next door to you.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They're made in one of two ways, stellar death and galaxy formations.

Fortunately the really big ones, the supermassive black holes, caused the galaxy within whos heart they reside, to spins. This means stellar black holes are not static collision obstacles, they are in rotation of the galactic core, just like our solar system.

So chances of us catching up to one or one over taking us in the grand scheme of things is very tiny. Black holes are distant phenomena, despite the whole galaxy being in constant motion.

I think we're safe.

Bare this in mind, every few hundred million years or so, our solar system actually goes up and down, through the galactic arm we occupy. Each time we do, and we have many times in our history, we cross an enormous asteroid field, ELE's all of them, yet we are still here.

When you look at the numbers involved with cosmic catastrophes, I would be far more worried about driving to work or who lives next door to you.

Funny you mention that since there is a predicted passing of one by us in 2028 and a predicted impact in 2880 by the same one.

I've got that all beat cold.

Sometime in the next few years, a scientist at CERN may well press a button and become God.

Remember in Men In Black, the cat's galaxy pendant? Imagine creating a little ball with trillions of galaxies in it.

That's what may happen.

There is a current theory that the CERN accelerator is capable of producing the particles that not only created the Big Bang, but also the material itself. This isn't far fetched. Scientists have created the nuclei of such things yet all of them have collapsed in on themselves instantly. Finally, however, the CERN collider may create a ball of Big Bang matter of enough stability to expand rather than contract. If that happens, don't worry. The time space existence of this object will immediately pop out of our universe and into one of it's very own and there it will Big Bang itself.

Imagine that all that you know and see, think and feel, all the voyages of Star Trek, Dr. Who, and Star Wars, were they real, every living thing, every inanimate thing from a frying pan in Aunt Muriel's cabinet to the spoke on a moped wheel in Bangalore to a chipped rock on planet Mu Ceti. Your child's fingerpainting on the refrigerator, great wars, great loves, great music, bad movies, beer with friends at the bar, pearl divers in the south pacific, a caribou's antler, each leaf, each person you don't know and all the people they know and you still don't know, entire civilizations, every person who originally gazed on the pyramid at Giza, birth, living, death, all of it, everything you can and cannot comprehend, being created at the press of a single button in Switzerland.

If you can even remotely begin to grasp the vastness of it all, the complexity of it, all being created at once, that's what will likely happen. One person will create a Big Bang in a universe which he or she will have created and that universe will grow to become as enormous and distant and complex as ours complete with its own laws of physics and even the capability of creating life. All life in that universe, all art, all love affairs, all comedy shows, all bargain sales, all things so remote life will never never discover them, all great cataclysms and miracles, will happen in that universe will happen because a person here on Earth, in our universe, will cause it to happen.

Create Your Own Universe. Now let's imagine CERN sells opportunities for people to press the button. What would you pay to be a God knowing that you can instigate the creation of a new universe? Being responsible for the potential of trillion of souls, maybe some even worshiping you as the creator or cursing you for being the destroyer?

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Because we live in a multiverse and not a single universe.

Yup.
It's been theorized that atleast one more universe overlaps ours within what could be considered millimeters. However, the equations show that it's in one of the spacial dimensions we don't perceive and thus can't willingly move in. But, by the time this universe collapses, several eons from now, we may very well be able to do so.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Yup.
It's been theorised that at least one more universe overlaps ours within what could be considered millimetres. However, the equations show that it's in one of the spacial dimensions we don't perceive and thus can't willingly move in. But, by the time this universe collapses, several eons from now, we may very well be able to do so.

True in a way. Science and math has proved the existence of multiple parallel dimensions to our own. Trust me, this is a head fuck to visualise as, as you've said, it can really only be expressed mathematically.

Ultimately, this does mean, for pretty much every action we take is likely to subsequently result in a deviation into a universe of it's own, hence the existence of a multiverse rather than a singular universe.Multiverse theory predicts that if time travel were passable and you went back and killed Hitler, you would create a new dimension without him in it but your own dimension would actually not change.

I don't subscribe to a universal big crunch theory, it would require a level of gravity that frankly our universe doesn't knowingly have the gravity to cause. I think the stellar drift model is more likely, but then this means our universe will die by drifting so far apart, that once all the star burn out, no more would be born. A bit cold and lonely.

As for jumping dimensions, that's a bit too far for me to really understand, I am just a pup after all. I'm not even sure if it would ultimately be passable. Causality may result in dimensional propagation but I don't think you can then step from one reality to the other at will. Wouldn't that just cause another dimensional reality, lol.