Socially inept when alone with another?

Dookiestain3

Just Browsing
Media
Does anyone else experience extreme awkwardness when trying to talk to someone one on one? When in groups of 3 or more i'm an energetic, talkative, outgoing person, but when in a car with one other person this doppleganger comes out. I feel like i'm pressured to spark the conversation/talk more than i usually do because there is no 3rd person for me to use as a starter.
Pretty much I dont want to pay for a therapist to help figure out why this happens, so if anyone else experiences/experienced the feeling of awkwardness when faced in one on one situations and broke free of it, please leave a reply.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Im the opposite; never stop talking when one on one. But in a group I have to really know all of them well to be lively & outgoing. Even if there's just 2 other people I feel awkward if I dont know one of them very well.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Neither. The only time I become verbally inept is in the presence of a man I find physically attractive. Doesn't matter if it's one on one or in a group; if I'm near a man that makes my heart go pitter-pat I become either a mute or a babbling idiot. :frown1: :redface:

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It can be either way with me. Some people I click with and the conversation is natural and we can talk about anything. With other people I'm like you and can't talk much. Sometimes it's when I don't like the person for one reason or another, or it could be just when we are too different.

Don't blame yourself. The other person is partly to blame.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
only happens with individuals I am most attracted to, when the relationship is new and untested

anxiety and fear of saying something that will prevent the relationship from developing

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It can be either way with me. Some people I click with and the conversation is natural and we can talk about anything. With other people I'm like you and can't talk much. Sometimes it's when I don't like the person for one reason or another, or it could be just when we are too different.

Don't blame yourself. The other person is partly to blame.

How and why is the other person to blame? For being so drop dead gorgeous they make me stutter and my palms sweaty?:confused:

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All the opposite for me too - I feel I'm at my best, conversation-wise, when I'm with just one other person. I don't do too well in big groups. If I find the other person I'm with isn't being receptive, I try and hit on some common ground or bring up topics that we both can seem to relate to..