Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Your "professor" was a dumb ass. Circumcision didn't start because of cleanliness. It started with the Jewish Covenant with god. In modern America, it started early in the 19th Century because doctors thought it would help prevent masturbation...back then, it was widely believed that masturbation caused all kinds of illnesses, including mental illness. And yes, they did it to girls back then, too.

Historical fact.

Musclehung

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
wow. way outta line on prof's part. uncut here and HATED being only one growing up. Now very proud of it. But in HS and college, was shy abt it. Unreal no other uc men in there. and hell, now the women in the class know too???!!!! weird. played college soccer and we had a trainer that all us guys were not to keen on.....he wld give post game massage and ask inappropriate questions like "are you making sure you ejaculate once a day?"...."do u clean ur foreskin?"....swear I cant make this stuff up. he lasted only a year. I didn't say anything but I think other dudes might have.....OP, be proud bro!!!!! hold the flag high for us uncut men!!! and btw, you have a nice piece of meat there buddy....Peace

mandoman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The anticircs belong to 1% of American men. They have lost the battle. That is why they say the same things over and over again. The majority has won. Circumcision is here to stay for many good reasons.

Yep. We've lost the battle. That's why, in my lifetime, Britain's circumcision rate has dropped to 10-15%. Canada has stopped routinely circumcising, as has Australia, and New Zealand. The US rate has dropped to 55%, down from the 90% of my childhood. Where'd you make up the magic 'fact' that anti-circ people are 1%? The majority of males in the world have their foreskins. Yes, that majority has won. Circumcision is going back to being a religious ritual, not a medical one.
If I had to venture an opinion, I'd say you should get out more.

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Your "professor" was a dumb ass. Circumcision didn't start because of cleanliness. It started with the Jewish Covenant with god. In modern America, it started early in the 19th Century because doctors thought it would help prevent masturbation...back then, it was widely believed that masturbation caused all kinds of illnesses, including mental illness. And yes, they did it to girls back then, too.

Historical fact.
Well since there are probably no god/dess/es and scholars do not think Abraham was a historical figure, the first part is unlikely to be right. It's now thought that the priestly caste made it mandatory after the Babylonian captivity, about 500 BCE, and wrote the Abraham story into earlier writings. (The Book of J is the earliest version of Genesis and it has the Gen 15 covenant story of animal sacrifice, but not circumcision.)

In fact it's a stone-age ritual that probably began in Africa, for now-forgotten sex-fertility-magical reasons.

They did it to girls until the second half of the 20th century. It was covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield until 1977, legal till 1996.

KindlyJedi

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well since there are probably no god/dess/es and scholars do not think Abraham was a historical figure, the first part is unlikely to be right. It's now thought that the priestly caste made it mandatory after the Babylonian captivity, about 500 BCE, and wrote the Abraham story into earlier writings. (The Book of J is the earliest version of Genesis and it has the Gen 15 covenant story of animal sacrifice, but not circumcision.)

In fact it's a stone-age ritual that probably began in Africa, for now-forgotten sex-fertility-magical reasons.

They did it to girls until the second half of the 20th century. It was covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield until 1977, legal till 1996.

Aye, Snozz...I meant the second part as being historical. Didn't some guy named Kellogg recommend circing girls with acid to prevent "self pollution" (masturbation)? That's some crazy shit right there...

I think that the early Egyptians did it also, again probably as some kind ritual...

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Most university ethics committees in North America and Western Europe consider that borderline unethical. If it got reported that your prof forced a public show of hands on a sensitive topic he could get censured in a big way.

The prof. didn't do anythingw rong talking about that topic, it's similar to tlaking about abortions, or in science class where the prof. says "Sorry if any of you are religious, but this is this courses view on the creation of life"

I don't feel he crossed any sort of boundary. Knowledge of circumcision status has absolutely nothing to do with sex.

Would it have been inappropriate if the professor had asked for a show of hands from girls who have had an abortion or guys who have gotten girls pregnant who then had an abortion?

Would it have been inappropriate if the professor had asked who in the class has had their appendix or tonsils out?

Or if he had asked who in the class has a religious duty to circumcise?

It all really comes down to what circumcision means to you. Is it merely anatomical surgery, like an appendectomy or tonsillectomy? Or does it carry sociological, anthropological, psychological and religious baggage in your view? Would it depend on whether you had it done to you for necessary medical reasons, or for cultural reasons? Or whether you chose it yourself or had it imposed on you?

Whether it is a sexual question or not depends on if you personally feel that information about your sex organs is inherently private. There are some guys here on LPSG who honestly don't differentiate between their penis and their hands when it comes to privacy -- they'd just as soon show one as the other to anyone who asks. It's just a body part, like an ear or a foot.

There are others who never show their penis to anyone. For them, there is no more intimate part of the body and the whole image of "penis" is sexualized.

Most people fall somewhere in-between. We do think the penis is different than other parts of the body, but we also don't go out of our way to hide it in situations where such nudity is normal (locker room, shower, peeing at a urinal, FKK beach, or changing in front of a friend).

The classroom question was a bit personal. As such, it's interesting that every male in the class raised his hand; it presumes that they don't consider it too personal a question to answer, or feel too much peer pressure not to. And the professor's inquiry supposed that every male would participate, either by putting his hand up (circumcised) or leaving it down (not circumcised). That seems a bit presumptuous and confining.

And from brockli's description the prof did sound a bit pervy and interested to have his personal biases confirmed and imparted.