Software Issue

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A question for you techies. My old laps top runs windows xp.
Every time I turn it on I get a pop up message to run and
install updates to my computer. For some reason it never
installs the updates and I get the pop up shown below. Any
ideas on how to solve this particular problem? :confused: Thanks for
any help.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
At this point with XP i would only install important or security updates. As it is near end of life. Change Windows automatic updates to let you pick and choose what updates you want or need. Having it set to let Windows install every update it has, will give you updates you really don't want or need and slow your computer down. Its very easy to change the settings so you can pick and choose what updates you want. Keep automatic updates turned on. Just check the box to let you pick what updates you want. The key here is Important and Security Updates. Those you want to install to keep your computer safe. Here is a video that shows you how to change the settings. Its very easy to do. If you need help, send me a pm.

Windows XP Control panel - Automatic updates - YouTube

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
At this point with XP i would only install important or security updates. As it is near end of life. Change Windows automatic updates to let you pick and choose what updates you want or need. Having it set to let Windows install every update it has, will give you updates you really don't want or need and slow your computer down. Its very easy to change the settings so you can pick and choose what updates you want. Keep automatic updates turned on. Just check the box to let you pick what updates you want. The key here is Important and Security Updates. Those you want to install to keep your computer safe. Here is a video that shows you how to change the settings. Its very easy to do. If you need help, send me a pm.

Windows XP Control panel - Automatic updates - YouTube

I haven't had any new updates in some time. But I did reset my settiing so I could pick and choose any new ones that might be sent out.

Last edited:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Actually have tried this several times before. I followed the instructions but without success.
Do you see the update icon at the bottom right hand corner when you are running your computer? If so click on it and hit cancel. Restart your computer and see if it fixes the problem. If not when your computer starts up press the f8 key. You will see a screen pop up with different options. Using the arrow keys choose Last Known Good Configuration. Hit enter. If that doesn't work, turn off automatic updates off. Just make sure once a week you check for updates yourself. Thats what i do. I have to use Windows to earn a living. So i am running Windows XP Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate, Home Premium ad Professional. Once i installed them i take the initial updates and turn off automatic updates. Then i check on my own every other week. I only install security and important updates. This has been a long ongoing problem with Windows .Its really bad on windows 7. That's why i have the automatic updates turned off and check for updates myself. I pick and choose what update i want to install.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
This conversation is making me hot! :biggrin1:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I haven't had any new updates in some time. But I did reset my settiing so I could pick and choose any new ones that might be sent out.
If your computer is up to date, i would just turn automatic updates off. Restart your computer and see if that fixes the problem. Going by the small screenshot that was a framework update. It may be a problem with Microsoft not you. Your computer will survive without it. Turn off automatic updates and see if it fixes the problem. When you check for updates on your own, remember this update and uncheck the box not to install it.

Last edited:

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you see the update icon at the bottom right hand corner when you are running your computer? If so click on it and hit cancel. Restart your computer and see if it fixes the problem. If not when your computer starts up press the f8 key. You will see a screen pop up with different options. Using the arrow keys choose Last Known Good Configuration. Hit enter. If that doesn't work, turn off automatic updates off. Just make sure once a week you check for updates yourself. Thats what i do. I have to use Windows to earn a living. So i am running Windows XP Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate, Home Premium ad Professional. Once i installed them i take the initial updates and turn off automatic updates. Then i check on my own every other week. I only install security and important updates. This has been a long ongoing problem with Windows .Its really bad on windows 7. That's why i have the automatic updates turned off and check for updates myself. I pick and choose what update i want to install.

I turned off the auto update, the little yellow shield still pops up in the bottom right. :mad:

If you need me to do a remote connect, let me know. I can see whats going on, or disable that update for you.

At this point it just some thing I'll live with until Rikter can do another deep probe into my hard drive. :rolleyes:

This conversation is making me hot! :biggrin1:

Its made me pop a boner. :corkysm21:

Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited: