Solar company that Obama visited will shut down

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(Reuters) - Solar start-up Solyndra LLC, succumbing to pressure from lower-cost Chinese rivals, said it has suspended operations and plans to file for bankruptcy, 15 months after President Barack Obama visited a company factory that was to be expanded with the help of a federal loan guarantee.

The Chapter 11 filing, expected next week, will make Solyndra the third U.S. solar company to seek bankruptcy protection in the last month. Former Wall Street high flyer Evergreen Solar Inc filed for Chapter 11 two weeks ago, followed four days later by SpectraWatt Inc, a private company that was backed by Intel Corp.
Representative Henry Waxman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce said the bankruptcies "are unfortunate warnings that the United States is in danger of losing its leadership position in the clean energy economy of the future ... We should be doing everything possible to ensure the United States does not cede the renewable energy market to China and other countries."

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Does the US have any interest in adopting this technology? Isnt that really why the companies have failed?

Ironic that the OP obviously intended this thread to be an indictment of Obama, when it's really a comment on the failure of the public and the elected representatives to push for the implementation of this technology.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ironic that the OP obviously intended this thread to be an indictment of Obama, when it's really a comment on the failure of the public and the elected representatives to push for the implementation of this technology.
Technology that President Obama has been advocating for since his election........

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
The Europeans are far ahead of the US on solar technology both in use and manufacturing. I guess it's the old story about you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The Europeans are far ahead of the US on solar technology both in use and manufacturing. I guess it's the old story about you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Or perhaps the well-known "horticulture" analogy is more apt for the U.S.: you can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

Precisely. Let the blame be laid where it belongs; the President can prod, promote and push these things but he cannot mandate them, important to our future though they clearly are.

The OP is a one-note, and it's becoming increasingly tinny.

NYCdude

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yea but the President can also fail at leading. Yes, I acknowledge that we spent three years proving he was American but he needs to strap on a pair and start fighting. Stop conceding and start fighting, if the country votes for Perry/Romeny/Bachmann, so fucking be it. Enough of this cowardice. Go big on this jobs plan, he's already caved on the date, don't cave on the important part.

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The article says it's not because America doesn't want these technologies, but China can under price their stuff. And that's even after half a billion in "loans".

I wouldn't mind these technologies, but don't force them on me. If it's a viable product in the market, companies will strive to make it better/cheaper.

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmm, seems to me the reliance on contractors stems from cutting DOD and USAID in the 1990's. From the article. Say, who was president then?

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmm, seems to me the reliance on contractors stems from cutting DOD and USAID in the 1990's. From the article. Say, who was president then?

Are you serious? After Bush/Cheney lied us into a massive double war, and farmed out tons of "work" (much of which our troops and civil servants could have done) to Cheney's companies and his friends' companies, who got the jobs as the result of no-bid contracts that massively overpaid them to "police" the streets of Baghdad and build shitty dorm rooms that were unfit to live in, etc....

You're going to blame Clinton for that?

Hello Mr. Limbaugh, I wish I could say it's a pleasure to meet you, you partisan hack.