Solitude in G Minor

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Resonant_Floutist, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Resonant_Floutist

Resonant_Floutist New Member

Hehehe, yes, I play the flute/piccolo and no that doesn't mean I'm not "manly" enough to play anything else...Hell, I also play the tuba.

I'm not really interested in hearing anyone's speil about my choice of instruments...I can probably play your ass off. So.There.

Anywho, I'm not here because I have the biggest member in the universe...though I'm a tad above average for most men...

Anyways, off that topic...

If you ever have any questions about me, I might entertain them...just this once :cool:

2. B_Spladle

B_Spladle New Member

I miss the "Music In A Minor" shirt on tshirthell.com

=(

3. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Welcome from another musician.

4. fortiesfun

Gold Member

Glad you are here. Lots of professional musicians actually, so once all the fun has died down about "flute players" you'll find some interesting conversation possible.

5. hypolimnas

hypolimnas Well-Known Member

Lots of professional musicians actually, so once all the fun has died down about "flute players" you'll find some interesting conversation possible.[/quote]

Hi, I'm not a professional musician but trained as an opera singer, and music teacher. And I have a degree in ethnomusicology. These days I do a bit of conducting with local groups, and atleast one Schubert lieder concert each year.

I was wondering what everyone was doing about Mozart's anniversary?

I have conducted a couple of Mozart things, and sung a few arias which was great. He is my favourite along with Schubert and Bach.

I'll do something from the Bach Christmas Oratorio later in the year.

Do you all have exciting things coming up, besides the usual?:wink:

6. thirteenbyseven

Gold Member

Well a flute is kinda long and phallic-like but...well...don't you ever want to be in the brass section when they're playing the last 5 minutes of Respighi's "The Pines of Rome" and the primary brass (to say nothing of the supernumerary brass tucked above and behind in the balcony alcoves) are just KICKING ASS! Forget Bolero, if I want to go another round in the sack with my wife I just put the Bose headset on and let the London Philharmonic or the Cleveland Orchestra unleash that piece of music.

7. mellowmal

mellowmal New Member

You are all making me tingly all over.

Yes, every one of you.

:biggrin1:

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Welcome, Resonant Floutist (?) 'Tis a fun group here, and yes, several musicians of varying levels.

I play all the brass instruments (all-state euphonium in high school, majored in Horn in college), piano (minor), and have a working knowledge of all the woodwinds, and play flute/piccolo and clarinet probably at grade 5 or 6 (out of 6). I'm still firmly convinced that the bassoon was a diabolical creation to torment both bassoonists and acoustical physicists. I know my way around the violin and viola, can play the violoncello at about a grade 2, and have played contrabass in a dixieland combo (actually had some paying gigs with that one...) I was a working professional musician in southern California for about 4 years.

9. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Welcome, Resonant Can't-Say-The-Rest-Of-Your-Name-Or-You'll-Think-I'm-Poking-Fun-At-You.

I'll be going to a local Potter's Field to fertilize the grass in his honor.

10. joker

joker New Member

OMG I'm a flute/piccolo player too!! I wanted to go professional, but coming from a small town, you don't get much support...damn I was good. Lol...but seriously, that's awesome. I was drum major too. That was an incredible experience. Yay for band nerds!!

11. yhtang

Gold Member

Albums:
    I play the Chinese bamboo flute.

Why did I pick that instrument? It was the cheapest I could find - I was a student with a limited budget.

Enjoy youself at this site.

12. hypolimnas

hypolimnas Well-Known Member

I'll be going to a local Potter's Field to fertilize the grass in his honor.[/quote]

Oh well, he would definitely prefer you to have a shit, but he'd appreciate your sentiments, I am sure. :wink:

13. dongle

dongle New Member

Welcome. I don't play the flute, but I can appreciate it. Mozart's concerto for flute and harp is amazing, and the bird song in Beethoven's Pastoral breath taking. Then there is Jethro Tull. All good stuff.

Play on dude.

14. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:

How will I sit down? :confused:

15. bignfloppy

bignfloppy Member

Hey there!

I'm a music education major, (primary instrument: classical organ/ secondary: trombone) and I definitely have a profound respect for anyone who can play the flute after having taken my woodwinds class last year. Even as a brass player I had no problem whatsoever with clarinet or alto sax, but flute was NOT EASY!!

16. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Ha, wait until you get into a situation where you have to teach beginner music students to get a sound on a flute! With all the other woodwinds, you have the reed to vibrate for you; on the brasses, you'll encounter just a very few who cannot do the basic "buzz;" but on the flute, you have to be able to get across the concept of making the air column itself to vibrate.

Hey, resonant, are you familiar with the Bach Flute Sonata in G minor (BWV 1020)? Very nice in its entirety, but the second movement is incredibly beautiful. If you can find a recording of Irena Grafenauer playing it, check it out. I have that on a CD called "Bach for Breakfast." She plays 6 of the 18 tracks. Her tone and technique absolutely blow Rampal and Galway out of the water. Get it if you can, it's definitely worth it.

Just for fun, I've been practicing the John Wummer transcription of Nicolo Paganini's "24 Caprices (Op. 1)". Quite the challenge.

Draft saved Draft deleted