Solution to gas prices?

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks America - the US pesos have almost neutralised the raise in prices in Europe. I dread to think how it could have been...

Hmmm. Isn't it about time we confront Congress about debasing our currency, and demand that they exchange our increasingly worthless paper money, for actual money gold or silver, as the Constitution demands? Out of their own pockets which they have line by stealing from us.

Paper money is a false weight or standard, which the Bible says that God hates, if it can't long hold its value.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I actually like going slower, and wish other drivers would slow down and be more patient. Driving should be like a more leisurely ride, not some dangerous speed-racing contest.

I really don't like to "get there before I leave." What use is the scenery, when it all rushes by in a blur?

But 55 mph obviously won't due for the Jetson's cartoon or movie, flying cars of the future. I already suggest slowing down, to PROTEST and to try to squeeze a few more miles out of a price-gouged tank of gasoline. But the slow-down should be "temporary" until somebody address seriously this problem.

LOL we are totally opposite. I would be the angriest driver on the road if that happend. When I'm driving, it's because i have some place to be...

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What if every American on here sent a letter to their Senators on the same day, demanding the same things? That would be neat

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Maybe it'd help to look at why gasoline prices are getting so high. As I see it, there are four reasons. Two of these four reasons should factor into an informed voter's decision in the 2008 U.S. presidential election.:

• Rising cost of extracting crude oil. As we continue guzzling through this non-renewable resource, it costs more money to extract it from the ground. This isn't likely to ever change, and is the biggest reason to turn towards alternative energy sources.
  • Rising cost of purchasing crude oil. As the U.S. economy tanks, and the value of the dollar falls among world currencies, a dollar doesn't buy as much crude oil as it used to. A president who's willing to change the status quo, stop spending money the government hasn't raised, and re-balance the budget will go a long way towards improving the purchasing power of the dollar. Hint: One candidate is willing to continue the $300,000,000 a day war in Iraq for the next hundred years while maintaining tax cuts that benefitted only the wealthiest citizens. This candidate has admitted that he doesn't really understand economics.
  • Rising cost of refining crude oil. This is a wash. More stringent environmental regulations add to the cost of refining the oil, and some deregulation activists point to this as an area in which costs can be reduced. However, the cost of refining oil is offset by savings in other areas: cleaner burning fuel helps our cars to last longer; they cause fewer cases of cancer and other catastrophic illnesses; they reduce the cost of filtering and treating groundwater that enters our public reservoirs. These costs, which currently account for about $0.65 per gallon of the total cost, represent a good deal overall.
  • Rising cost of protecting and distributing refined oil. The political instability in oil-producing nations raises the risk of attack and arson on oil production and shipping facilities. The cost of security is currently skyrocketing, as oil companies turn to for-profit mercenary firms to supplement their usual security staff. Hint: One candidate has promised to continue the very Middle East policies that have contributed towards this instability; he has supported the characterization of his opponent's willingness to meet with representatives of Middle Eastern countries as "appeasement".

I doubt that any of these factors have changed much in the last 5 years other than the devaluation of the US dollar in recent months which is probably the primary reason why oil prices have risen so drastically. What you didn't mention is that the oil supply is set by a cartel, OPEC. Through the manipulation of the supply of oil all prices are artificially set and controlled. The price is not set by free market economics. And non-OPEC oil producers have no incentive to sell their oil cheaper, they are after all in it for the money.

I seriously doubt any presidential candidate will have power over OPEC's control of the world market and the price of oil. It's like a junkie asking his supplier to lower the price of what he is addicted to. The price will always be set to a point just a bit higher than the junkie is able to afford without killing him.

What we really need is a long term goal of energy independence and investment in renewable and sustainable energy production and infrastructure from the government. Something we can't leave up to oil companies to do simply because it's in their best interest to milk the status quo despite their thinly veiled PR campaigns stating otherwise. The energy policy in this country seems like it has been steered by deep pocket oil lobbyists and special interests since the last oil crisis. It's ironic that these oil crisis and spikes in fuel prices are a boon to oil companies - actually something these companies look foward to.

Last edited:

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
the reality for MOST of us, is there is NO public transportation system unless you live in a city or very densely populated area... thats all good and great, but that doesnt solve the real problem either way,we either need to produce MORE oil (especially our O W N ) or we need an alternative way to effectivly power a car. not some plugin electric crap where youc an only drive 100 miles then gota charge it again
ethanol isnt even an option, that was the biggest blunder ever, not to mention you need a car equipped with bigger injectors amongst other things, because you have to burn 1 1/2 times the amount of it, its VERY costly, and is driving up the price of food, ethanol is not going to work, we need to move on and forgot about that crap, and take the damn 10% out of the gas at the pump!!! all it does is hinder performance

DRILL NOW IN ALASKA NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill O'Reilly today said in his talking points "We can't drill our way out of this" That's a telling admission from someone that's right wing entertainment/journalist. If people on the right are now saying that it must be true.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Maybe it'd help to look at why gasoline prices are getting so high. As I see it, there are four reasons. Two of these four reasons should factor into an informed voter's decision in the 2008 U.S. presidential election.:
<...>
Excellent points, but the one factor you left out was tax assessed on refined gasoline.

It makes sense to recoup some of the cost of maintaining the infrastructure by taxing fuel - the ones who use more fuel can reasonably be assumed to contribute more wear and tear.

But fuel taxes should not be seen by government (as they currently are) as a cash cow. Fuel taxes should be a flat-rate, not a percentage. One gallon will get you X miles, and contribute X amount of damage to roadways, regardless of whether the gallon costs $2 or $6. Those taxes should also be earmarked for infrastructure, and scrupulously documented on their usage for that purpose. Fuel tax should be spent strictly on road maintenance, not to make up a shortfall in payroll.

Also, on a different but related issue, registration fees for vehicles should be based solely on vehicle weight, not assessed value, and the bulk of those fees should also go toward infrastructure.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm developing a new vehicle simular to the Fred Flint stone version. This one runs on methane produced from the food you eat. Simply stick a tube in your ass and while you eat McDonalds food the gas thats produced will run your car. Just order extra onions and a bean burrito with that Extra value meal.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
But fuel taxes should not be seen by government (as they currently are) as a cash cow. Fuel taxes should be a flat-rate, not a percentage. One gallon will get you X miles, and contribute X amount of damage to roadways, regardless of whether the gallon costs $2 or $6.

In fact, federal fuel taxes are a flat-rate, not a percentage. State fuel taxes vary by state, but are a flat rate in 42 states, plus DC.

Also, on a different but related issue, registration fees for vehicles should be based solely on vehicle weight, not assessed value, and the bulk of those fees should also go toward infrastructure.

I disagree. To do that would say that the driver that buys a new car every year, puts on a hundred thousand miles, and totals the car the same year pays the same taxes as the driver who buys a new car and takes care of it, drives it frugally, and keeps the engine running for years.

People who replace cars more frequently not only drive more miles and therefore cause a greater share of the repairs needed on our roads and bridges, but they also put cars in landfills and junkyards more often adding to the increased cost of waste maintenance.