Some good News about Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by seterwind, Sep 5, 2009.

1. seterwind

seterwind New Member

Albums:
  2. MovingForward

MovingForward Member

Nice, it will be good to see what happen's 4 years from now and see what he is actually able to accomplish in a full term

3. Bodaddio

Bodaddio Member

I don't get what there is to smile about in that story?
    He hasn't been there yet. The bureaucracy of Louisiana is still there holding things up. If it weren't for people like Brad Pitt, and Sandra Bullock where would the city be?
    An in the works for the Army Corps of Engineers levee builders? They are more than 1/3 of the way there. Great! Keep it up, that promise has been being made for decades, what does it have to do with the President?
    The money to do these projects has been there for years since the hurricane, the local and state leaders are who has been the road block. Get rid of them and things might start happening. Probably not, but it is a nice dream.
    Southern Decadence is going to be off the chain this year though!

Cheers

4. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Actually he only has ~3 years left.

5. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Fixed that for you....

6. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    Fixed that for you....

7. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

they shouldn't spend another dime on New Orleans. don't build a city below sea level. the hurricane was nothing.

8. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I agree... nor build one along a coastline, or on the side of a mountain, or along a floodplain, or along "Tornado Alley", or along a faultlline....

should I go on...asshole?

#8 b.c., Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    or in California.

10. mynameisnobody

mynameisnobody New Member

There's precious little "good news" in there. Some vague mumblings from Washington. Big deal. If promises were deeds, Jimmy Carter would be remembered as a great President.

The closest we get to anything concrete in the article is "What people have said to me is that for whatever reason, problems that were insurmountable under previous leadership are getting resolved quickly." What problems, specifically? Can we have a few examples? How about one example? And to what previous "leadership" does the statement allude? Governor Blanco?

Color me unimpressed.

11. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

Or in a swamp, like Florida?

12. Bodaddio

Bodaddio Member

It should be the current leadership of Nagin. He has done a lot for the city that is for sure.
    Yep New Orleans, a city built below sea level. A city built by the French and run by Democrats.
    I love that one, kills me everytime I hear it.

Cheers

13. midlifebear

Gold Member

That's right. Complain and whine. With the possible exception of one of you posters above, what have you done to help the people hurt, displaced or felt you had any responsibility as a human being to do an Internet search and find a project you could help by donating your vacation time by going to New Orleans and physically improving the situation? Hell, even $5 sent to Oprah will make it completely intact to those still suffering from Katrina. But no. It's just easier to whine and complain.

As for myself, The Squeeze is not allowed into the USA, but that didn't and hasn't stopped me from selectively donating funds to organizations and charities that aren't taking 20% off the top to "administer" that money. It's not a difficult thing to do. At least it's not hard after you've pulled you heads out of your asses. That takes effort.

And from what I can tell from many who post on this LPSG site, many of you are sitting on your asses out of work. Would it kill you to do something constructive now your unemployment benefits have finally dried up and hook yourselves up to volunteer with a not-for-profit organization to rebuild Louisiana -- even if it's through your church?

#13 midlifebear, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  14. B_Enough_for_Me

B_Enough_for_Me New Member

You can come down off your moral high horse now.

15. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:

Or maybe we should do the smart thing and build houses STRONG instead of PRETTY. If every time a natural disaster struck and destroyed homes the destroyed ones were replaced by disaster resistant designs(dome houses, different window types, etc) rather than traditional ones, we wouldn't have to worry about where we build causing so much issue. Insurance costs would be cheaper to boot.

16. B_Enough_for_Me

But that makes sense. It's much easier to use natural disasters as a way get absolution.

It would also make sense that people are 'on notice' that they live in a dangerous part of the world, and they would bare all riskof living in such a place; not the tax payer.

17. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Absolutely agree and in many ways, that is exactly what's happening.

Most here bear our own risks, bud... by paying through the nose for high cost homeowners and flood insurance coverage, thankee very much.

18. B_Enough_for_Me

Like the rest of the human experience, most of the people aren't the problem.

19. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I would imagine it's a selection of subset groups. I wonder which groups would probably contribute to the problem. Let's see, there's the people who like the environment and lifestyle provided by these more volatile areas; All things considered, an area that has more disastrous activity generally has more beneficial value which that disastrous activity compensates for.

So, first category, environment.

From the utility aspect we have the history of the Nile region of Egypt. On a relatively stable cycle, the Nile floods, bringing up the silt of the river(rich in many nutrients good for plants). So, downside, flooding, upside, agriculturally valuable and is near a supply of potable water(obviously).

In the North American midwest, the region is flat and good for mass growing. It is flat because over thousands of years it has constantly been ground-down and polished by tornadoes and rain. Both the funnel of a tornado and water will seek(and eventually create) flat levels.

In the west we have the very exceptional business and expansive region; the coastline forms many natural ports and harbors, and there is plenty of land(if a bit uneven, which simply requires a little more engineering than flat work). Even though the Earthquake and plate boundary interactions cause much shaking and wobbling of whatever you try to build(too bad we didn't make domes; they are stable when subjected to angular force), the region still represents an area with plenty of available building material(lumber and stone), and ocean access.

We see the same general fit on the east coast; in the north they harvest the bounty of the sea, in the middle agricultural boon, and in the south, the tastier things which that environment offers, as well as the same case as the business center in the west. The Gulf of Mexico is basically one gigantic harbor if you think in broad enough terms. Unfortunately the east is plagued in the south by Hurricanes and in the north by occasional Hurricanes and Nor-Easters, oh, and the occasional severe blizzard and snow storm tends to make life a little more.... White.

Even islands are often subject to devastation by the very forces which shaped them(volcanoes). Mountains can fall apart, ice can crack, oceans can capsize any size ship we can manage to float with ease, I imagine underwater would be subject to stray currents, lots of falling rocks, and the same earthquakes as in the west.

The only relatively safe places, in the end, are small little mountain passes on stable rock(if you can manage food and cold), thick jungles(if you can survive predators), and Antarctica in the area that wouldn't melt(sames issues as mountains).

Unfortunately, just as those places are incredibly stable, their lack of flamboyant displays of destruction comes at the price of area for expansion, inter-cultural interaction(slow development of technology), or any usable resource for survival(gain technology through observation and theft, resort to pillaging endlessly, and little cultural growth). Granted, you can survive in these climates with the rights tools, but that's the power of technology.

The second category includes anyone who enjoys the view, culture, services, products, or society that is inevitably created as a result of settling in these areas of relative instability which is relatively predictable.

In the current situation, you have the people who want to leave because it's not worth the investment(but nowhere truly is if you can't take a few disasters or build to resist them), the reluctant people who are more than happy to bite the bullet to get the lifestyle granted(generally tending to resist change; especially in the terms of rebuilding), the people who are too financially unable to move elsewhere as they depend so solidly on having the current job they have to survive(They cannot move, and cannot adapt), and the people who want to profit off of the other people in some way(creating a large draw to the area and trying to save/make as much money as possible).

That's basically the majority of the people contributing, all basing on various reasoning which may or may not be valid.

The only minority in the situation is the tiny little voice in the corner of science and technology which says we can rebuild so these things never affect us again, but it's expensive. The catch with ANYTHING that saves you money in the LONG TERM is that it is MORE EXPENSIVE up front. Sure, rebuilding the entire country might cost a lot of money, maybe trillions upon trillions of dollars, but think of how many Katrina's we won't have to pay for anymore, think of how many San Francisco 1906 quake's that won't affect us anymore, or everything that might happen in the time to come.

The thing is, such as with taking alternative renewable resource technologies; even though it's expensive, you KNOW it's going to save you in the long run. If you want, instead of just investing in development of NEW technology, invest in efficiency improvements of those same technologies. Not just in potency or lifespan, but in cost of manufacturing and collection or refinement of required resources.

#19 AllHazzardi, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  20. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    You omitted one category in you (usual) techno-babble: the people who, through history, life experiences, and emotional attachment, call this "home" and want to be here.

Curious that New Orleans is not the only city in America (or the world for that matter) that has been stricken by disaster, nor the only one assisted by various agencies of government afterward. But it seems to be the only one whose right to exist is continually questioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted