Some of the Most Visually Stunning Movies

Is the MOST sexist, MOST morally reprehensible movie I've ever watched. Singing and dancing in celebration of institutionalized, systematic, sexual abuse and social repression of an underage girl is beyond the pale. Thank Heaven for Little Girls is horribly creepy considering it's an elderly lecher singing about how he looks forward to having sex with all these, "little girls," who will grow up to be whores.

It does have some great performances, excellent cinematography, and good music though.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is the MOST sexist, MOST morally reprehensible movie I've ever watched. Singing and dancing in celebration of institutionalized, systematic, sexual abuse and social repression of an underage girl is beyond the pale. Thank Heaven for Little Girls is horribly creepy considering it's an elderly lecher singing about how he looks forward to having sex with all these, "little girls," who will grow up to be whores.

It does have some great performances, excellent cinematography, and good music though.

Alrighty then! I am surprised you didnt make the same comment about THe Feast of All Saints. That was the American version of the demi monde. I didnt have wonderful singing in it though.As far as the song Thank Heavens... I dont think You are being fair about that. If you listen to Chevalier's prologue he sets the stage for discussing this side of Parisian society by saying there are those who marry and those who dont. His reference to little girls was only in the fact that they group up to be women who either fall in one category or another. I doubt greatly that he was lusting after the children themselves.

Alrighty then! I am surprised you didnt make the same comment about THe Feast of All Saints. That was the American version of the demi monde. I didnt have wonderful singing in it though.As far as the song Thank Heavens... I dont think You are being fair about that. If you listen to Chevalier's prologue he sets the stage for discussing this side of Parisian society by saying there are those who marry and those who dont. His reference to little girls was only in the fact that they group up to be women who either fall in one category or another. I doubt greatly that he was lusting after the children themselves.

I've never seen The Feast of All Saints so I can't comment. Camille is a good example of what happens to girls like Gigi when they do fall in love. High-priced courtesans or not, those women are never accepted outside of their bordellos and get left behind once they get old and aren't attractive enough to be whores. By that time they either become madams or they descend to becoming street whores who die too young and impoverished.

askmenow

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
for me -visually- blade runner-my first true love . then american beauty and bliss .two films that i find are zen like in their exploration of truly being in the moment .

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've never seen The Feast of All Saints so I can't comment. Camille is a good example of what happens to girls like Gigi when they do fall in love. High-priced courtesans or not, those women are never accepted outside of their bordellos and get left behind once they get old and aren't attractive enough to be whores. By that time they either become madams or they descend to becoming street whores who die too young and impoverished.

Yes, and that sad fact is emphasized in both Feast and Gigi to some degree. That is why I love the ending of Gigi when Gaston returns her to her grandmother rather than subjecting her to that lifestyle only to return that evening to ask properly for her hand in marriage.

holsty101

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This trilogy of films about the state of our existence with no dialog are an amazing feast for the eyes. Soundtrack by Phillip Glass.

Koyaanisqatsi YouTube - Koyaanisqatsi (trailer)

Powaqqatsi YouTube - Powaqqatsi (trailer)

Baraka YouTube - Baraka (Trailer)

Actually the 3rd of Godfrey Reggio's "Qatsi" trilogy of films is Naqoyquatsi, Baraka was directed by Koyaanisquatsi's cinematographer Ron Fricke who also did Chronos (excellent time lapse shots, a little shorter than the other films tho), according to IMDB Fricke has a "sequel" to Baraka scheduled for next year called Samsara, which sounds interesting.

If you like these type of films you might like to check out Manufactured Landscapes, like those films it has some scrape-your-jaw-from-the-floor scenery shots.

One dvd I'd like to mention is 1 Giant Leap, it's on a slightly different tangent to the Quatsi/etc films (uhh... although your line "state of our existence" perfectly describes what 1 Giant Leap is all about), but it is without a doubt my favourite/most watched dvd, I urge everyone who reads this to at the very least netflix a copy of it. (They too have a sequel available (only in the UK at the moment :mad:) called What About Me, which I am dying to see, an American release can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned)

There was a movie preview I saw recently. It seemed to concern a dying patient who tells a story to a young girl. The visuals from the 'story' were really striking. I remember one scene where a soldier came riding up a bunch of other soldiers in a desert. He dumps the only remaining water they have left into the sand.

Does anyone have any idea what movie this is?

I think this is the new film by the guy who directed The Cell, it's called The Fall.

I think every film I could mention has already been listed ... maybe check out some of the Directors Label releases, some of the best music videos ever committed to film.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
hmm...i'm too tired to make a whole list, but off the top of my head, i have to say that Memoirs of a Geisha was beautiful. Certain parts such as the Baron's manor with the bright, flowing leaves of the cherry blossoms, or in the final scene in a lush, decorated, peaceful garden left me mesmerized.

i never thought of going to Japan before i saw that movie.

I would hazard to say most of David Lean's better known films are breathtaking cinematically.

I saw the Bob Harris-restored version of Lawrence of Arabia at the Ziegfeld in New York in glorious 70mm wonderfulness. Of all 70mm films, this one demands a giant screen to truly appreciate it. Something valuable is lost when it's on the small screen.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I saw the Bob Harris-restored version of Lawrence of Arabia at the Ziegfeld in New York in glorious 70mm wonderfulness. Of all 70mm films, this one demands a giant screen to truly appreciate it. Something valuable is lost when it's on the small screen.

Isnt it amazing? For L of A it is the wide expanses of desert, for Ryan's Daughter it is the Irish coastline and for Dr ZHivago is it everything. Just breathtaking.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Visually stunning is the anime film AKIRA, which some morons want to make--as live action....?!

BARON MUNCHAUSEN--Terry Gilliam, and BRASIL.

FORBIDDEN PLANET.

ALIEN
sidebar: many years back, at a SF con, I met one of H.R.Giger's agents, who was also working for PENTHOUSE. He told me that after the movie was over, the whole set was bulldozed.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
OOOps....I forgot to mention: The Cell

Visually stunning, no doubt, but like Dario Agento's SUSPIRIA, an exceptionally hard watch, and nothing to sympathize with.

Peter Jackson did a very vivid movie that is in this line called THE DEAD ALIVE, it's very visual and funny and disturbing and bloody. Line's like "I kick ass for the Lord", or "Your Mom ate my dog!" pop up frequently.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Can't believe nobody has mentioned these yet

-The Good The Bad and The Ugly
-Apocalypse Now
-Citizen Kane

***huge agree with Pecker for "A River Runs Through it"*** utterly beautiful and the nature of Montana is used like a beautiful frame around the story...the last scene and narration always makes me cry :frown1: