Some "Scientists" are Moronic

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by joyboytoy79, Oct 18, 2006.

1. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    The BBC news has published an article on thier website that claims an "expert" in the field of evolution has predicted the human species will split in two.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6057734.stm

First, notice that he is an "evolutionary THEORIST." Second, notice that he is at the London School of Economics. Pardon me for being so stupid, but how does an economist come to conclusions about evolution?

As a student in the field of sciences i've actually studied some genetics and evolution. First... if he was any kind of REAL evolutionary scientist he wouldn't talk at all about "race" as evolutionists pretty much universally agree that the term is socially applied and has no real scientific basis. Also, variences in skin tone do not "even out" over time, as he has implied. If they did, there would be no differences in skin tone amognst siblings. Well, i happen to be white as a sheet, while my sister is olive complected...

This is pure bunk... although it is NOT far fetched to assume that modern Homo sapiens may give rise to multiple future species.

2. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

This is some really funny shit. I like that guys will have larger penises in 10,000 years, and women will be taller, so I won't stand out so much then as I'm doing currently with my 5'10. I'll be 6'10 then? Whew, hard to imagine.

I think the credentials of this man can be doubted. LSE&PS isn't exactly known for training morons, but one thing is for sure: Never trust an economist going at something scientific. He'll most likely screw it up.

By the way, is the tall guy in that picture the example of the typical LPSG user, while the short living thing next to him is the typical LPSG TROLL?

3. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Seems it's a liberalised view if humanity kept the current trend.

Which it will not, I'm sure. If anything, by stats alone, the next-gen are Chinese and all niggers are extinct!

4. bossfan2

bossfan2 New Member

Albums:
    Isn't that how society is now?

This is a weak argument. Evolution is on going, so we know it's not going to stop. What we look like 1,000 years from now is anyone's guess. All he did was make some painfully obvious observations and stereo types and apply Darwin's Law.

This is science worth reporting?

5. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Is creationism taught in schools? :p

Anyway, real science is far too intellectual for common folk.

6. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

Evolution is stagnant, people are living longer and doctors and surgeons are always intervening with natural processes (illness etc). So evolution will be a VERY slow process.

Such is my understanding...there can be no natural selection if nature's intentions are being denied by man.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...this is what I recall from GCSE.

7. fortiesfun

Gold Member

Some scientist are moronic, but so are some journalists and my guess is that this story is so bad because of the latter.

8. JustAsking

Gold Member

I think it would be more accurate to say that human civilization has changed the nature of the selection process, rather than diminished it.

There is always a selection process going on with humans. You can make a case that with humans the process has been subverted by modern medicine and other human factors, but only if you consider modern medicine as an "unnatural process".

Sexual selection is just as powerful as other selection factors in many species including humans. So that selection process is still going on.

Finally, there are still fatal diseases, and areas around the world where humans live an barely subsistence level. Marginal conditions like this all contribute to the natural selection process.

As for the article, I agree that his application of neo-Darwinism is pretty speculative.

9. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    lol

Tell that to the weeds in my yard that have evolved to become resistant to repeated applications of Round Up.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/101/39/13974

10. baseball99

baseball99 New Member

actually there are 2 major theories for evolution.....one is that there are small, unnoticable changes over time that eventually over hundreds and thousands of years produce significant change.

The one more commonly accepted is called evolutionary jumps. Meaning evolution is forced, rather than selected gradually. For example a volcano explodes and 99% of the population is killed and only 1% lives to breed.....evolution then jumps to that 1%.....So we may actually not really be delaying evolution. Also, keep in mind, many diseases also evolve

Draft saved Draft deleted