Somebody betta' slap Celion Dion.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I have to agree with you guys. I find her a bit bizarre most of the time, but I can only bow down to her almost flawlessly perfect vocalizations. I don't like her mellodramatic interpretations, but her technique is perfect and effortless. To wit: this performance of Summertime.

Wow. What a performance. And so bluesy.
If the YouTube file is titled correctly, she was only 19 or so when that was done.
She looks a bit older, I find.
But she looks good ... not at all anorexic, and she seems really connected to the words.
Thanks for that reference, JA.

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I once saw a performance of five of the greatest female interpreters and they were all singing one of Aretha Franklng's song (she was there too). Celine's turn to sing was after Aretha's and Aretha just kept singing Dion's part. There I thought, ok NOBODY is going to interrupt Aretha! and Celine Dion started singing WITH her, it was truly amazing. I mean, you really have to have the guts to get into Aretha's singing and sing along with her. I was like WOOOOW

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I mean, you really have to have the guts to get into Aretha's singing and sing along with her. I was like WOOOOW

Celine is one of the few modern artists that can hang with Aretha. Imagine Britney Spears or Rihanna trying to sing with Aretha and NOT look like a joke. I'd say the list of those who can hang with the Queen is fairly short; Mary J. Blige, Fantasia, Celine, Mariah needs to sit down somewhere (great voice, but 99% technique, 1% soul), Chrisette Michele too, I can't imagine anyone else.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Listen to this motherfucker at 5:30-6:30 and tell me she ain't gangsta.

Gangsta?! I was thinking that the Cirque Du Soleil was missing one of their main singers for DRALION that was what I was thinking.

The thing about singers is...they make some really bad --I call them--"SEX FACES" when they scat. The French-Canadians and American blues...I have to Amy "REHAB" Winehouse it...I say No no no. :smile:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gangsta?! I was thinking that the Cirque Du Soleil was missing one of their main singers for DRALION that was what I was thinking.

The thing about singers is...they make some really bad --I call them--"SEX FACES" when they scat. The French-Canadians and American blues...I have to Amy "REHAB" Winehouse it...I say No no no. :smile:

I thought her faces were amusing, I see what you're saying but I actually think they're pretty funny.

Her voice is brilliant but her persona is unbearable. And watching her fling herself around that stage like a deranged marionette carved with cameltoe...:684:

That did scare me too, some of her weird jerking around. Again, it made me feel like I'm watching a rhythmless drag queen do a Freddy Mercury impression.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think she and Michael Bolton need to go somewhere and have a scream off.

That's why I DON'T like her music, but I enjoyed this performance. She didn't really do any screaming, she was just having fun and displaying all the things we never paid attention to in choir, the woman's got technique for days. Breath control, phrasing, harmonics, mimicking instruments, she did bass, piano, flute, and drums all with her voice. I thought she did a great job of evoking Bobby Mcferrin or Ella Fitzgerald as opposed to the usual caterwauling and screaming she usually does.

dingdong

Cherished Member
Media
i hate that we are losing the era of people really SINGING

Where are the days when the world stopped, when Whitney Houston opened her mouth; even if she could sing half as good as she used to, she wouldnt sing "singery" songs - its such a shame. (btw, i personally think Whitney Houston is (was) the world's best singer; listen to any of her live performances between 1985-1994).

What happened to the class and technical brilliance of Ella Fitzgerald? I bet only 1/10 people on the street will have heard of her?

Aretha Franklin and her tremendous "Amazing Grace" album; you don't have to be religious at all, to get shivers down your spine when you hear that record.

Stevie Wonder's voice is arguably the most skilled male voice, but he isn't releasing songs like he used to in the 70s; "Lately", "Ribbon in the Sky". But fortunately, he can still SING! - listen to his performance at Luther Vandross' funeral!

Mariah Carey is without doubt losing the strength in her voice, and has gone as far as singing mediocre songs, which do nothing for the voice; she should go back to singing vocal show-offs like "Vision of Love", "Emotions", or even sing AT LEAST ONE decent live performance.

Chaka Khan and Patti LaBelle still have tremendous pipes on them, but obviously they'll not do well in today's market.

Celine Dion's latest releases are clearly being changed to fit today's market, but fortunately she has kept most of her vocal prowess (although, i feel she has lost some of her belt's top range)

The current generation of "vocalists" are clearly not singing songs like the people above did; although, Beyonce, Christina Aguilera and most recently Leona Lewis have incredible vocal skills!

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^Christina Aguilera needs to learn to SHUT THE FUCK UP! She needs to learn subtlety, that she doesn't have to always wail and scream and squal from the intro to the verse throughout the whole song to the end, every word, every syllable gets 800 notes, 900 riffs, 10,000 runs, and that's PER LINE.

All the artists you mentioned do fairly well on tours, most of them are still mega-stars overseas, it's just the US audience that gives their money to the Hannah Montanas and Rihannas and Lil Waynes. If you know where to look, you WILL find singers that still SANG. Chrisette Michelle, Nikka Costa, Fantasia, Mary J. Blige, Priscilla Renea, Alicia Keys, Robin Thicke, there are people still carrying the torches as long as you don't stay glued to MTV, BET, and the radio.

All of the above I mentioned have GREAT live performances on youtube, they all have cd's out, they're all touring, they're all working, just under the radar of "pop" culture.

D

deleted136887

Celine....no way. Christina....She's got a nice voice, sexy woman. Could think of a whole lot of things to do with her!. If you don't like her voice, Marley, turn down the sound...

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
She has a great voice, isn't that good enough.

Depends on who you ask. Some people don't care about the voice, just how hot you look holding the microphone.

Not many artists can do that. Oh yeah, her outfit is terrible!

Amen. Her technical ability is astounding. And yes, the outfit is God-awful.

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay HONESTLY.... I hate Celine Dion but without her fucking crazy ass.. I would have lost many a good laughs.

I agree with Kathy Griffin on her.

B_johnschlong

Experimental Member
Media
So why should a singer be a "badass gangsta" to be a good singer?

I don't see Montserrat Caballe walking down in the ghetto to act like a gangsta, even though she would easily whoop each trash gansta-rappa or bling bitch pimp many times over.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ckyeCVe1l13B/340x.jpg
This lady will kick any "gangsta's" ass any time, any day. Don't even think of coming near to her.

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So why should a singer be a "badass gangsta" to be a good singer?

It's an expression, I didn't think I had to give 2nd grade explanations for every pop culture reference.

I don't see Montserrat Caballe walking down in the ghetto to act like a gangsta, even though she would easily whoop each trash gansta-rappa or bling bitch pimp many times over.

You're obviously just thinking of as many ghetto stereotypes as you can. Quit while you're ahead, you look really uneducated right now.

This lady will kick any "gangsta's" ass any time, any day. Don't even think of coming near to her.

This is one step BELOW "my dad can beat up your dad!" Grow the hell up.