Son is smoking

B_MatureHungDad

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My son is a sophomore in college and 20 years old, but I encountered him the other day while he was smoking a cigarette. This hasnt been the first time I caught him so I know he smokes.. but does anyone have any advice help for when they talked to there kids about smoking?

JJumbo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Sorry to sound very English about this, but does your son know you are asking these sorts of questions on a large penis support group website?

Frankly it freaks me out more that you are asking the question here of all places rather than the fact that he is smoking, which, quite honestly, is a bit more normal than doing what we are all doing on this site...

Reactions: HouEFFingTex

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
My son is a sophomore in college and 20 years old, but I encountered him the other day while he was smoking a cigarette. This hasnt been the first time I caught him so I know he smokes.. but does anyone have any advice help for when they talked to there kids about smoking?

To be honest your son is a Sophomore in college, he's a grown man, whether he smokes or not is none of your business.

Reactions: HouEFFingTex

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I would tell him that I never want to see him smoke around me, or even know that he smokes, so stop or keep it hidden.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
One of my fears. Not the biggest, but up there around the top.

It's a hard one, because we all know from being kids (or just young), telling us "don't" or "it's bad for you" didn't work on many occasions.

With my girls I try to stress the unattractiveness with it, but not sure that would be even a little effective with a young adult man.

Maybe tell him when he realizes that it's not something he really wants to do, you'll be there to help and support him while he quits.

I'm just really not sure on this one.

**edit to agree with Mem. While you may not be able to stop him completely, you can stop the behavior around you!

I think don't worry about it too much. Ask him openly, tell him it's upto him but you don't think it's a great idea.

If it's out in the open, he'll find it easier to ask your help if he wants to give up. Just my opinion...

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Ok, when i was young bout 12, my mom caught me smoking and she made me smoke 3 cigarettes one after the other, it was sickening,but it worked, i did not smoke again until about 20, nothing she could do,but even now when i visit her, she makes me smoke outside, no matter what the weather is like.

TopDudeFtl

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Oh, this is a thread about smoking cigarettes. :smoker: I see, not what I was expecting. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I think at his age, there's not much you can do but offer the suggestion that he quit. Easier said than done - I know. I smoked for a couple of years when I was in the bar/restaurant business but quit cold turkey when I got tired of the smell & the coughing. Good luck to you.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media

He's 20, dude - there's fuck all you can do.

At 20 years old, unless you are footing the bill for college etc, not much you can do.

I would say even if you're footing the bill...

Let him know you don't like it. That's all you can do.

Oh, and to the prude who is all upset about MHD posting about this on this site, grow up. What in the OP identifies the son? Nothing? Is the son a minor? No. Is this the general, 'any other business' Et Cetera forum? Yes.

Twit.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
He's 20, dude - there's fuck all you can do.

I would say even if you're footing the bill...

Let him know you don't like it. That's all you can do.

Oh, and to the prude who is all upset about MHD posting about this on this site, grow up. What in the OP identifies the son? Nothing? Is the son a minor? No. Is this the general, 'any other business' Et Cetera forum? Yes.

Twit.[/QUOTE]

Twit? LOL, very polite wording MB, you are mellowing ;)

gwmasiahk

Experimental Member
Media
You cannot make him stop smoking against his will, but always insist that he never smokes in your space and remind him always how much you disapprove. Tell him constantly that he smells like a dirty ashtray and that you do not enjoy his presence whilst being so. He might resent it and avoid you for some time, but it will make him think! I'm a long time smoker, but I resist from smoking around my family and friends who are non-smokers. I truly wish that I had never smoked at all.

submassive

Just Browsing
Media
Being a similar age, I can tell you he's not going to stop smoking unless he wants to. All you can say to him is "there bad for you" or "image how your insides asides are going to look" Which in the end is probably a waste of your breath !!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh, this is a thread about smoking cigarettes. :smoker: I see, not what I was expecting. :rolleyes:
I thought the same thing when I saw it!:redface:
Anyhow, I think at his age, there's not much you can do but offer the suggestion that he quit. Easier said than done - I know. I smoked for a couple of years when I was in the bar/restaurant business but quit cold turkey when I got tired of the smell & the coughing. Good luck to you.
Good advice, maybe he will come to his senses like you did. I wish I could say the same for myself.

Hockeytiger

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
1) If he is paying for his cigs with his own money, then a parental suggestion is the best you can do, and it won't likely work.

2) If he is using your money to buy them, then you have options, but none of them are good. Realistically, a parental suggestion is the best you can do.

My mother gave me the speech when I was 11, along with the drugs and alcohol speech, followed shortly thereafter with the safe sex speech. She informed me that smoking will harm my respiratory system and my hockey game (my passion at the time). But personally I never saw the draw.

A parental reminder is okay, but won't work. And the more you make an issue of it, the harder he will likely dig in.

He's twenty and has to make his own mistakes now. Let him. But that doesn't mean you should have to pay for it, or for his health care. If he wants to act like an adult and smoke, than he can act like an adult and pay for them and his health consequences too.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would be so upset...nothing bothers me more in young people than this addiction. I might not be able to stop him...but I wouldn't give any monet towards the cause.