Song Plaigarism

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
obviously it happens, but i am stunned what i have just found...

for months i have been listening to bits of Eddie Vedder's wonderful soundtrack to "Into The Wild".

I love the song "Guaranteed"...it is so beautiful, and for months i was listening to it over and over, there was something so beautiful and familiar about it...i felt as if i had heard it before...and while the lyrics and body of the song were not so familiar, the introduction was and i finally placed it...my family used to go vacation in the south of france for two weeks in the summer every year when i was little...and we used to stay with our friends who had a beautiful home on the Ile de Porquerolles...it was always a wonderful two weeks, especially as i would get two weeks with my ultimate crush, their beautiful daughter who was about 6 years older than me, (and french) who was like a big sister to me...this was in the 70s, and she always used to sing a song to me those summers, and would play it on her record player...it was by the lovely french singer, Francoise Hardy and was called "Soleil" (the sun)
i had not heard it in perhaps 20 years...but when i replayed it, it was virtually identical in the first 15 seconds or so

does anyone else love this song "Guaranteed"? did anyone else notice this?

here are the two songs...most of the rest does not resemble each other, but the first 15 seconds seems a near dead on case of *PLAIGARISM* and Guaranteed seems to use the Soleil intro over and over as its melody

Vedder - Guaranteed
YouTube - Eddie Vedder - Guaranteed

Francoise Hardy - Soleil
YouTube - Francoise Hardy -Soleil 1970

what does everyone else think?

especially for those who know music well, and are familiar with the legal statutes of music plaigarism, what is your view?

I am kind of shocked...not that this does not occur, but this seems pretty clear cut, no?

all opinions more than welcome

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's not exactly the same. It's very, very similar, but played one after the other, I hear differences in at least three measures of the introduction. There could be more that I don't hear. I'd have to see it written. It's close, but no cigar. There's no reason the song couldn't be lost somewhere in Vedder's subconscious, as it was in yours. Also, nothing is new. There are only so many chords, and so many ways to string them together.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flashy,
I can see why you are wondering about this. I listened to the first part of each one and I can hear some similarity, but I don't think there is a case.

Both tunes start with a series of arpeggiated chords on a guitar with a kind of folk rhythm. The strumming rhythm they both used is very popular and can be heard on thousands of songs.

I think the basic chord progressions in the beginning are pretty similar, but Soleil has an ascending and descending melody on top of them where Guaranteed is simply descends.

If there were something highly unique about the opening of these songs and they were as similar as these, there might be a case. But the fact that the opening is so similar to thousands of other songs, I dont think there is one. In fact there is more difference between these two than most blues songs are different from each other.

They both are nice tunes, though. Wasn't that Eddy Vetter tune used in the movie Into The Wild?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
thanks to both of you...i was hoping for this type of input from people who actually are musicians and understand chords/progressions etc...

and yes J.A....the Vedder tune was from Into the Wild...he did the whole soundtrack actually and there are some really beautiful and great tunes on it.

i recommend it...his tune "Society" from it was really good too...lots of nice little instrumentals as well.

YouTube - Eddie Vedder - Society

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm very glad you started this thread. I got to listen to two beautiful songs a few times each!

glad you liked them...indeed they are both very good songs

Francoise Hardy, is, to me one of the great unknowns here in the USA...she is very well known in France...alot of her stuff is really wonderful...her voice is like honey and of course the french does not hurt...

here are a couple of others of hers you may enjoy

YouTube - Françoise Hardy - Tous les garçons et les filles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGY6k4Aphs

YouTube - Françoise Hardy - Pourtant Tu M'Aimes

YouTube - Francoise Hardy - Voilà

YouTube - Francoise Hardy - La maison ou j'ai grandi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrHA9gA8qpE

and if you liked the Vedder tune, you should really see "Into The Wild" and get the soundtrack, which is probably some of his best work ever...

here are a couple more tunes from him on the "Into The Wild" soundtrack that are really wonderful

no ceiling
YouTube - Eddie Vedder - No Ceiling - Into the Wild

society
YouTube - Eddie Vedder - Society

Rise
YouTube - Into the Wild - Rise (Eddie Vedder)

far behind
YouTube - Eddie Vedder - Far Behind

Long Nights
YouTube - Into The Wild "Long Nights" Eddie Vedder Unofficial Video

Hard Sun
YouTube - Eddie Vedder---Hard Sun

Tuolumne
YouTube - Eddie Vedder-Tuolumne

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^ unfortunately there are alot of those generic crap bands whose songs all sound alike...creed, coldplay, nickelback etc...

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is true, but do you really expect more from the record industry? haha It is, after all, just that - an industry.

no, sadly, i do not expect more from them...:frown1:

been a long time since a truly great band has come along...ever since grunge evaporated when Cobain died, there has been absolutely nothing to fill the void.
really depressing