Songs in TV Commercials

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Meniscus, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Meniscus

Gold Member

Is it just me, or has there been a whole slew of TV commercials over the past couple of months featuring some really catchy songs? I'm thinking of:
    • Subaru Forester - Sean Hayes, "Powerful Stuff" (The guy in this ad is really cute, too.)
    • Subaru Legacy - The Black Keys, "Tighten Up"
    • Kia Sorento SX YouTube - 2011 Kia Sorento SX
    • AT&T - Nick Drake, "From the Morning"
    • Sony Internet TV - Scouting for Girls, "A New Day"
    • Holiday Inn - Kyle Andrews, "Always Make Me Smile"

2. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    you forgot Train's 'Hey Soul Sister' on every other god damned commercial. Use to love their music, but now they just grate my nerves

3. concupisys

concupisys Active Member

i agree: train is evil.... a major network here in canada has just picked it up for their news commercials.... apparently some US radio stations are refusing to play 'hey soul sister' because of its overuse in advertising.... there's a whole slew of videos on youtube and urlesque about it.... that song is the definition of sell-out.....

4. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Some of my favorite songs I first hear in TV commercials. Here's one from actually quite a few years ago now, but I heard it first in a commercial and it took a long time before I found it (this was back before I had internet access and my best friends Google and YouTube :biggrin1:):

YouTube - Caesars - Jerk It Out

And here's another one from a TV commercial, but I forget what the commercial was for - I just remember the song! I did have Google and YouTube at this point, so I was able to immediately find the song:

YouTube - Melpo Mene - I Adore You (Official)

Here's another one - it was on one of the Geico Caveman commercials, but here's the complete song:

YouTube - Röyksopp - Remind Me [HD]

And this one from actually a long time ago. It was in a Volkswagen commercial, and I remember reading about VW getting all kinds of calls and letters, not because people were interested in the cars, but WHAT IS THAT SONG??? :biggrin1:

YouTube - CLANNAD-Theme from Harry's Game

5. irox19

irox19 New Member

Albums:
    Remember 'Just Breathe' by Telepopmusik...I think it was for Volkswagen or Mitsubishi. That was when I first started paying attention to music in commercials...although I try to avoid commercial television.

6. D_Eric Banana

D_Eric Banana New Member

There is one tv ad for the Renault Avantime, with the soundtrack of Etienne de Crecy (Alex Gopher sample was used), it's sooooooo special, it grows to you! At first it may seem a bit wierd, but it'll put a spell on you, just like it did with me!
    I found it that special that i became a designer, just because of the ad! Now that's an strange form of inspiration!

You can buy the song at iTunes "Etienne de Crecy" Apretime

Tv-ad:
    YouTube - Tv Ad Renault Avantime

7. Meniscus

Gold Member

I remember the song and the ad. It's a sweet song, but a little sad. Whenever I saw the commercial, I felt a little bad for the caveman, being constantly reminded of Geico's "racist" advertising.

I don't remember this ad in particular, but maybe because I already knew and liked the song. (I had a friend in college who liked a lot of Irish bands, including Clannad.)

8. Meniscus

Gold Member

There's something about the song that almost seems to push you to "think outside the box" (pardon my use of such a cliche expression), to use your imagination, and to go beyond what has been done before.

9. Meniscus

Gold Member

Somewhat off-topic, but one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded--This Mortal Coil's cover of Tim Buckley's "Song to the Siren" has shown up in both ads and movie soundtracks from time to time. It was used in a perfume ad for a while, but the ad didn't run very often. Most incongruously, it was used in the trailer for the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. (Whose idea was that?)

Here's the song in the trailer.
    YouTube - Texas Chainsaw Massacre Full Trailer

Here's the full TMC version.
    YouTube - This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren "Cocteau Twins"

Here's Tim Buckley's version as performed on The Monkees. (The album version is more experimental and less "listenable.)
    YouTube - Tim Buckley - Song to the Siren

Finally, here's another really good cover version by John Frusciante.
    YouTube - John Frusciante - Song To The Siren [02]

10. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

I've noticed a greater use of music I like. right now something is playing on the TV and I'm attempting to find out what it is. a while back I tracked down a song that Cat Stephens did in the late 1960s.

it also works the other way... commercials music goes public. "I'd like to give the world... in perfect harmony" from Coca Cola became a classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted