Songs That Choke You Up

arthurdent

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That just reminded me that I went to see the musical Mamma Mia when it first opened in London in 1999. My favourite ABBA songs are The Winner Takes It All and One Of Us. The latter comes in the show first and that made my eyes a little moist. Then there are a few more songs and then a song called Slipping Through My Fingers, which I didn't know at the time but it touched me and I was trying very hard not to well up. This was then followed by The Winner Takes It All and that was when the tears started rolling down my cheeks and my eyes were blinking rapidly and I was sniffling. It was very difficult trying to keep my composure. I really wanted to have a good cry but I didn't. The lady sitting on my right gave me her handkerchief to wipe my eyes. How embarrassing! Actually, just typing this has made me relive the moment; I'm going to have to blow my nose and splash my face with cold water now.

Also, rather embarrassingly, whenever I hear Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris, the line "Did you think I would leave you dying, when there's room on my horse for two?" gets me everytime and has done since I first heard it when I was 9.

Ditto, This Woman's Work by Kate Bush, which I simply adore.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Emiliana Torrini - If You Go Away

cuz Jacques Brel is ultra-keen. the music box accompaniment adds more bruise to the hurt.

I wish Brel's transcendent magic translated better, but it really doesn't, really. This page gives the lyrics in French and a fairly good transliteration into English (which robs it of its poetry but endows the words with greater actual meaning than the standard English version).

Other great Brel classics include La Chanson Des Vieux Amants, which despite the extra-schmaltzy strings and piano is a brilliant song: the video has English subtitles below the French in excellent transliteration. There's also his song Quand On N'A Que L'Amour, with transliteration here.

Back directly to the OP (though the Brel songs above can get me misty, too) is Bjork's All Is Full Of Love, which I can't believe I forgot the first time out.

DavidXL

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

willow78

Superior Member
Media