Songs That Choke You Up

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
there is one song that always brings a tear in my eyes is YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE this song is very emotional

Especially in the context of the musical.

The first song that comes to mind is Fairytale of New York. It's that line, "I've built my dreams around you." It gets me every time.

It's an absolute corker of a line.

Danny Boy always chokes me up, especially when sung unaccompanied - but here's Elvis.

YouTube - Danny Boy - Elvis Presley

Of course, the Smiths & Morrissey were very good at mournful songs, e.g

YouTube - The Smiths - Asleep

When I've had a particularly emotional relationship break up, however, I've found new meaning in just about every song. Weep!:frown1:

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Beatiful, one to listen to over and over again!

I'll have to say my favorite is one I heard soon after first meeting an ex lover, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" written by Ewain MacColl for his future wife Peggy Seager and sang by Roberta Flack in the 1980's. The words to this spoke to me.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Kiri te Kanawa singing Puccini's O mio babbino caro YouTube - Kiri te Kanawa - O mio babbino caro - Puccini (I have no idea what she's singing, it's just so beautiful to me)

If the above gets women to choke up than Vissi d' arte from the second act of Giacomo Puccini's Tosca should get them to take-out the entire box of Kleenex. You will too when you discover that front row tickets to the opera cost the equivalent of good NFL tickets. I don't know anything about opera but it must be sad because it's written in a minor key. Here is Renee Fleming looking fabulous in 2006: YouTube - Renée Fleming: "Vissi D'Arte" Nobel Peace Price Concert 2006

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Eric Clapton Tears in Heaven

YouTube - Eric Clapton/Tears in heaven

Carlos Varela Una Palabra

Before I moved permanently to SoFla, my then-partner and I would spend at least a week every year in South Beach and rent a car for day trips, etc. One such trip I put on a CD that he'd bought just before we left. When River of Tears came on, it hit me like a freight train; I sat on the passenger side and wept uncontrollably (and involuntarily).

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ooh, you reminded me. I do get overly emotional watching or listening to Judy Garland sing Over The Rainbow. I conflate my own childhood pains, Judy's childhood and adult pains, and the hope inherent in the lyrics.

Moist eyes everytime.

D_Kitten_Kaboodle

Account Disabled
Media
"Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle - every time,.... if you have a daughter and ever heard the song, you know what I mean.

Also

"My Wish" by Rascal Flatts

(I typically get emotional, or heart-tugs over songs about growing up......what does that mean?)

Last edited:

D_Kitten_Kaboodle

Account Disabled
Media
That was by Dolly Parton :tongue: :biggrin1: :poke: lol

For some reason "Amazing Grace" will reduce me to tears everytime.

There are also a couple of songs that deal with child abuse such as

Alyssa Lies
(*warning* if you haven't heard it, don't listen to it with others around)

Countryguy63..... YES, YES, and YES.... Alyssa Lies is a heartbreaking song. I sang Amazing Grace to my daugter when she was a baby, it was here 'sleepy time' song. Now whenI hear it, I think of holding her in my arms.....But is has always moved me.

SprinkleMe69

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Tapped Out by Rena. She's not mainstream but has indy stuff on her Myspace page. Song reminds me of the ex and the fact that I was just tapped out by him and everything else regarding him including the fact that he was really gay. Another song is For The Love of You by The Isley Brothers. A friend who was interested in me and I never game him a chance, sang that song to me and a year later he died. Today is the 13th anniversary of his death.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Madonna - "This Used To Be My Playground"

Kate Bush:
"And Dream Of Sheep"
"All The Love"
"Don't Give Up" (with Peter Gabriel)
"Love and Anger"*

*I wont re-print ALL the lyrics, just the ones that get to me the most:

It lay buried here. It lay deep inside me.
It's so deep I don't think that I can speak about it.
It could take me all of my life,
But it would only take a moment to
Tell you what I'm feeling,
But I don't know if I'm ready yet.

If you can't tell your sister,
If you can't tell a priest,
'Cause it's so deep you don't think that you can speak about it
To anyone,
Can you tell it to your heart?
Can you find it in your heart
To let go of these feelings
Like a bell to a Southerly wind?