Songs That Make You Cry

drainedmt

Legendary Member
Media
I :heart: :heart: :heart: ABBA!
"The Winner Takes It All"
Though it's hurting me, now it's history...

Carpenters "Solitaire"
A little hope, goes up in smoke...

I *loved* ABBA, even before the big-screen adaptations came out.

My first exposure to the band was in "Muriel's Wedding."

Fun story. I was waiting for a valet in Hollywood and Rachel Griffiths (whose been in many wonderful things but "Muriel's Wedding" was one of her breakouts) was standing right next to me smoking.

I normally don't say anything but I loved her in that film and "Brothers & Sisters" and I mustered up the courage to say, "Excuse me Ms. Griffiths. I loved you in 'Muriel's Wedding.'"

Anyway, this song makes me cry:

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7oiWbA6hDc (Agnetha is gorgeous here)

Like The Carpenters, ABBA has timeless songs, beautiful harmonies and lyrics.

Also, I know there's not a lot of opera in this thread, but watching the late, great Jessye Norman singing "Samson & Delilah" is a life-changing experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP3-xk9aaik

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

November Snow by Rejoice!-- talk about cognitive dissonance. During the halcyon Flower Children days of San Francisco, Tom Brown and his wife Nancy were founding members of Marin County music group Rejoice!, a duo known mostly for their happy-go-lucky :sun: sunshine pop tunes. :sun: Unfortunately none of their uplifting songs sold worth a damn. So one night, after chugging a bottle of Jim Beam and whacking himself on the head with a ping-pong paddle, Tom Brown set-about writing a truly gloomy and sad song. November Snow was their one-hit wonder, reaching the Top 20 in cities around the country for a time.

Last edited:

txnrude

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
This one has gotten me pretty good a few times recently. It's so soothing in my ears but I always end up in tears. I am growing to adore this band.

Mt. Joy - Rearrange Us

One of my favorite bands of the last two years. They are incredible.

Here is the one that always gets me.
Rivers and Roads by The Head and The Heart