Songs!!

etrm

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I listen to a podcast called "Arms Control Wonk," ( @BostonMila ) which advertises itself as "The leading podcast on arms control, disarmament and nonproliferation." Recently, in a discussion about Russian IMF violations with the Iskander system, they had some amusing references to Nina's "99 Luftballons" (which they argued was better in the original Klingon . . . errrr, German). But, dammit, if you don't know what they're singing (and a year of German in high school doesn't help that much), what's the point? (Oh, BTW, the lead singer is soooo cute!) Sooo, I'll leave it up to the LPSG commenteriat to make that decision . . .

German
English

Words aside, the German version feels a bit more raw and heartfelt - her delivery is so much more comfortable and on point. Makes me think that the English version was forced from some suits trying to spread the popularity of the song.
I just reread this post, and I couldn't let the record stand! INF!!! (Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty) - not IMF (International Monetary Fund)!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nexolaris and BillM

etrm

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nena is the name of the singer, and I'd guess she was just feeling more comfortable singing the song in German.
I think you're absolutely right. Despite doing a song or two in high school chorus in Latin, I can't imagine trying to do rock-and-roll emoting in a foreign language I might only know phonetically.

Reactions: Nexolaris and BillM