Sony Cameras

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Has anybody else found that the sony cameras overexaggerate colors? And severely exaggerate the reds?

I've had a Sony Mavica CD400 since 2002. The more I look at the images it produces in comparison to the images produced by other digital cameras the less and less impressed I am with the color handling, including the reds and greens.

I ready to upgrade and switch to a Canon DSLR.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
I've had a Sony Mavica CD400 since 2002. The more I look at the images it produces in comparison to the images produced by other digital cameras the less and less impressed I am with the color handling, including the reds and greens.

I ready to upgrade and switch to a Canon DSLR.

those have PERFECT color reproduction! I want one too.:rolleyes:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
those have PERFECT color reproduction! I want one too.:rolleyes:

Not really. All RAW files from DSLRs need some sort of processing to look decent. I do, however, like Canon JPG files well enough (though I rarely shoot that way). Surprisingly, I prefer Sony to Canon in terms of JPG color and tone curve. One mistake a lot of photographers make, including the vast majority of those who call themselves professional, is thinking that the images that come out of their cameras don't need a good amount of correction to make them look really good.

Also you'll find that people differ on what they think is good color reproduction and what isn't. In general, people without a practiced eye prefer a lot of contrast and a lot of saturation. Most people like images that are slightly warm in cast than those that are neutral or cool. Film companies for years made film with different tone curves, saturation, etc. to fit the tastes of various photographers, types of photography, current trends, etc. Digital has only changed this by making you do this in the computer and not in the camera.

Color, contrast and how they affect image quality is somewhat subjective.

banahook

Just Browsing
Media
I have owned a Sony 505 and was very happy with the colour rendition, but wanted a DSLR for the interchangeable lenses and bought a Minolta- now Sony, as I had Minolta lenses, and again very happy. I recently bought a Canon 5D and this seems to lean towards the red, but I am told that it is adjustable by changing the white balance, but with the weather recently there is no point practicing until I get decent sunlight. I will report back when the weather improves.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have owned a Sony 505 and was very happy with the colour rendition, but wanted a DSLR for the interchangeable lenses and bought a Minolta- now Sony, as I had Minolta lenses, and again very happy. I recently bought a Canon 5D and this seems to lean towards the red, but I am told that it is adjustable by changing the white balance, but with the weather recently there is no point practicing until I get decent sunlight. I will report back when the weather improves.

Depending on what mode you're shooting in, this may be true. Canon JPG output tends to be on the red side, but you can change that. However, with a camera body that advanced and expensive you'd be doing yourself a disservice without shooting RAW and knowing how to process the images you capture appropriately. By processing RAW images in Adobe Lightroom you can adjust your images almost infinitely. There are also professional and free plugins for Lightroom and Photoshop to give your photographs the look and feel of a certain film or other creative techniques.