Sony confirms PlayStation Network hack

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20."

PlayStation Network Down for days now :mad:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I posted some time ago about Sony installing a rootkit (spyware) into the PS3. They have accsess to all your private information. They have total control of your PS3. They are even able to shut your PS3 down if you are running home brew. Well 75 million users have been exposed. Sony warns that names, addresses, passwords,zip codes, location and email addresses of the users have been stolen. Peharps even credit card information. All information now in the hands of hackers.
Sony's PlayStation network hacked, leaving up to 75 million exposed | Herald Sun

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
You should always be working under the assumption your information is insecure with such systems anyway.

In this case, things you should do include:
-If you use a common password elsewhere (which you shouldn't be) and it's associated with any info on you PSN account (same/similar username, real name, address, etc), change it ASAP.
-Keep an eye on your credit card associated with the account for fraudulent charges. You can go as far as suspending it, but I don't think it's necessary (you are not responsible for fraudulent charges anyway).
-Do NOT respond to emails that look like they're from Sony, Playstation, or even things like Blizzard/Warcraft, Netflix, etc. if they include info matching that on your PSN account requesting any personal information. Also just be careful with links in such emails (you should be anyway, kind of obvious).

Playstation put up a FAQ about this:
PlayStation® Knowledge Center | Support - PlayStation.com

They really can't bring the network back up until they're sure it's secure or it will be hacked again very quickly.

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sony clearly is breaking the law in regards to the PS3. Invasion of privacy. Tracking a users every move. Apple has been doing the same for many years. Collecting a users personal and location information. Right now Apple is under fire regarding the vast amounts of user information they have collected over the years. I tunes has been hacked more than a few times. So you see the connection between the two invading a users privacy and then being hacked. Here is the group who may have hacked Sony. I feel sorry for the user, however i agree with them.
YouTube - ANONYMOUS Strikes Again! Psn Servers Hacked

Last edited: