Sony disable Linux on the PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Marius567, Feb 3, 2011.

1. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

Sony disable Linux on the PlayStation 3 . When clustered, the PS3’s Cell processor — developed by Sony, IBM and Toshiba — can rival the power of a supercomputer.

#1 B_Marius567, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The PS3s hypervisor prevented Linux to have full access to the hardware anyways.

3. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

The situation with PS3 is bad. Back in 2005 Sony included Extended Copy Protection XCP) on cd's. Once the owner played the media on their computer, it installed a rootkit which created vulnerabilities too malware. Now with the latest PS3 firmware(3.56) update they may be at it again. A rootkit (back door) to scan your system for custom firmware or home brewed applications and then report back too Sony. Thats the reason for the other OS (Linux ect) removal. They couldn't install it or it would have been very hard on a Unix operating system such as Linux or a Mac. I got a email about this from a friend who is a gamer. I am looking into this. However given Sony's track record i would say its true. Stay safe.

Firmware 3.56 - Backdoor - Blogs - PSGroove.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BM...ootkit_scandal

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sony...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

#3 Mr. Snakey, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  4. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
Draft saved Draft deleted